Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 06-12-2018, 08:32 PM

My dad would be in one of the groups that this kind of policy effects. He uses cash for everything and for a variety of reasons will probably never have a card of any kind. I don't think he would be too pissed off about it though.

I think that a business should be required to take cash, it is the official way we exchange value in this country and makes a level playing field for consumer participation.

I also think businesses should be able to do what they like and we should just let the market decide.

hmmmm...

I will go with freedom to do business how you like and let the market decide on this one.
Old 06-12-2018, 08:34 PM
Lanterne rouge

Do they take EBIT cards?
Old 06-12-2018, 08:53 PM

I wonder if the Supreme Court would agree that, on religious grounds, a store owner could accept only holy relics as payment?
Old 06-12-2018, 09:45 PM

I support businesses that only take holy relics as payment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by happycampyer View Post
I wonder if the Supreme Court would agree that, on religious grounds, a store owner could accept only holy relics as payment?
Old 06-12-2018, 09:52 PM

Brinks, Loomis, and a few other companies are probably a little uncomfortable with the thought of growing "cashlessness".

Hard to see how the practice is discriminatory, as I believe even government assistance is provided in the form of ebt. Even most basic checking accounts offer debit cards linked to the account. Cash is very inconvenient (for me) - either I take out a large amount and carry it around or it's a constant hunt for another $$ machine. Electronic is so much more convenient.

Most of the time I just carry my phone and try my darnedest to use retailers that accept ApplePay or other form of electronic transfer. I used to swap my phone back and forth from a protective bumper for cycling/skiing/etc and a leather flip case with 2 card slots for business/casual. Now I just leave it in the bumper case.

My wife saves me from washing dishes in restaurants - she carries a wallet full of CC's and bails me out when going out for dinner. There is an accompanying obligatory roll of her eyes and an admonishment for not carrying a wallet like every other human. She just doesn't get it

Millenial ... I wish. LOL
Old 06-12-2018, 10:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gdw View Post
I'm not buying their line. Most stores with competent cashier's can check out customers paying with cash faster than those who use plastic and the employees in nicer restaurants who man the registers don't touch the food. As to theft, they are more apt to be ripped off by their own employees rather than neighborhood thugs. Methinks their policy impresses their target millennial market and they should pay their people higher wagers.
Actually, at many stores, I can swipe or insert my credit card before they are finished swiping my purchases, then when they hit total, the receipt comes out.
There are some stores around here that will not take any credit cards. People blast them online. Go figure.
Old 06-12-2018, 10:36 PM

The move in China and India to go cashless is enormous but for 2 very different reasons.

In India they're trying to figure a way to bridge the gap between the lowest level up to the next one. No one lends them money, at least no one legit, because they can't verify income. By going with a cash-card they can establish credit (good) and show income stream (better) to lend against.

In China that adoption of technology & crypto currency is hyper-fast and this plays into many people's view of "efficiency". The government is promoting it for that reason along with cost savings by not having to print/mint actual money. But tI think the real reason (other that giving the Central Committee more control over you) is that it goes a long ways towards eliminating the black market (and confirming people's income = more tax revenue)
Old 06-12-2018, 10:40 PM
Shoegazer

The bars I like are cash only.
Old 06-13-2018, 12:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCal Al View Post
The move in China and India to go cashless is enormous but for 2 very different reasons.

In India they're trying to figure a way to bridge the gap between the lowest level up to the next one. No one lends them money, at least no one legit, because they can't verify income. By going with a cash-card they can establish credit (good) and show income stream (better) to lend against.

In China that adoption of technology & crypto currency is hyper-fast and this plays into many people's view of "efficiency". The government is promoting it for that reason along with cost savings by not having to print/mint actual money. But tI think the real reason (other that giving the Central Committee more control over you) is that it goes a long ways towards eliminating the black market (and confirming people's income = more tax revenue)
For India, getting rid of 500/1000 rupee notes was trying to get away from corruption. Graft is pervasive throughout the economy and by making 500 / 1000 notes illegal, they wanted to force people who had the money stashed in cash as part of the black economy to either have to declare it or take the loss.

Going cashless makes sense from just streamlining the payments in the business back end. No safe, no counting, no deposits, no need to change bills. The card networks are complicated enough that maybe they have found some ways tosave on interchange fees and other things. The money behind Sweetgreen is Steve Case. Maybe he has an angle.

Last edited by verticaldoug; 06-13-2018 at 12:38 AM.
Old 06-13-2018, 04:41 AM
Head to Ned

Easy problem to fix, if they don't take cash I would go elsewhere.
Old 06-13-2018, 05:11 AM
Hey, watch this!!!!!

I’m a cash guy. Always have been. Using cash keeps me from over spending on stuff, especially non-essentials like bike parts or other toys. Once we move away from cash I think we will run into other issues created by government......
Old 06-13-2018, 05:36 AM

There are many health care organizations (hospitals etc) that are going this route, because of all the copay and other issues. It reduces the need to have 100s of people all across the facility collecting cash, and definitely both speeds things up and reduces any errors in tracking. But we make provision to accept cash at one site within the institution for those who absolutely need to pay that way. Based on conversations I was involved in (I was there to assure we were thinking through all the issues for low income patients), I think this is going to be an increasing trend in society especially for places where multiple points of payment make cash management an issue.
Old 06-13-2018, 06:11 AM
Pack fill

I prefer cash for most transactions, it is simpler, quicker and helps keep you better informed about what you are actually spending. If a business, who wants me to spend my money with them, will not accept cash I will simply move on to one who will.
Old 06-13-2018, 06:22 AM
aka RAEKWON

In ny there are plenty of places doing this now, not a fan of it but I like the places so I tolerate it but I do know a few friends that have boycotted then.

As far as sweet greens, I love that place. Do not conaider it upscale. Great ingredients and its not that expenaive all things considered.
Old 06-13-2018, 06:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPOKE View Post
I’m a cash guy. Always have been. Using cash keeps me from over spending on stuff, especially non-essentials like bike parts or other toys. Once we move away from cash I think we will run into other issues created by government......
This. It's harder to spend more than the $100 in cash I have on me than it is to spend that $10K credit limit on one of the cards. Cash is good for some people who have, um, impulse control issues. My issue with DL-ing apps is then the emails come pouring in with offers/sales/etc.

Places that accept cash only, imo do it to avoid merchant fees. One of my customers, L'industrie Pizzeria in Brooklyn accepts cash only, and told me that the fees were the reason why. And if a customer has an issue, they can go to the 5 pizza places per block in Williamsburg that take cards. Doubt the pizza is as good, tho'.