Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 03-08-2014, 07:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Smith View Post
This is useful stuff posted above.
One should use a bit of caution here: there is no mention of any manner employed to limit the outward deflection of the seat stay during said hammer taps. The carbon stay could easily suffer damage, particularly in cases wherein the outer bearing race is firmly attached to the seat stay boss.
wonder if a plastic faced bar clamp could be applied across the CS and SS, a few inches away from the bearing.
Old 03-10-2014, 06:47 PM

Quote:
One should use a bit of caution here: there is no mention of any manner employed to limit the outward deflection of the seat stay during said hammer taps. The carbon stay could easily suffer damage, particularly in cases wherein the outer bearing race is firmly attached to the seat stay boss. A removable locktite product was used in later years, and in many examples we received back for refinish at the factory left out in the elements there was corrosion affixing the bearing race to the stay. This procedure would likely not produce the desired result, and the bearing may leave its outer race in the seat stay in its removal. The 8mm nut is an inexpensive item that could be worthy of essay, but I wouldn't consider it to be foolproof. The photo shows how unlikely the nut is to contact the outer race of the bearing. It will, however, clear the .41" inner lip of the seat stay boss to gain purchase on other parts of the bearing.

Lastly, it isn't M8 for the bolt size, despite the 8mm nut. The standards don't quite work that way. M5 would be a better word choice.
Thanks Brian, good input. Yes, it is a M5 bolt, my bad. I controlled deflection by resting stay on my thigh. In my case, it did not take much to remove bearing.
Old 03-10-2014, 06:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Highpowernut View Post
Ok, so after reading this. I have a couple questions.
Idk if my frame has st bearings or not. (Hsg aero)

Does anyone have a tool or photos? I might be willing to make a copy.

Here is a photo of my frame, is there a bearing or just a bolt???

Thanks
Wayne
That's a cool frame. 99.5% certain you also have a bearing at the DO, [unless Brian says otherwise].
Old 03-10-2014, 07:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbarry View Post
That's a cool frame. 99.5% certain you also have a bearing at the DO, [unless Brian says otherwise].
I was going to say the opposite—that looks like the fixed bolt that Serotta used on MeiVicis, etc. Iirc, the ST bearings were only used on SE-level Legends and Ottrotts (part of what differentiated those models from SG versions, Fiertes, Noves, etc.).

Since Highpowernut's chainstays are carbon, I'm pretty sure it's a fixed bolt. I've heard that, in the development of the MeiVici, the folks in Saratoga switched bearings in and out of the prototypes, and the conclusion was that for some reason the bearings did not have the same effect with the carbon chainstays as they did with the ti ones. The carbon bikes rode better without the bearings, so the production models did not have them. Perhaps Brian will be kind enough to chime in.
Old 03-10-2014, 07:32 PM
Hey, watch this!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Highpowernut View Post
Ok, so after reading this. I have a couple questions.
Idk if my frame has st bearings or not. (Hsg aero)

Does anyone have a tool or photos? I might be willing to make a copy.

Here is a photo of my frame, is there a bearing or just a bolt???

Thanks
Wayne

Some people wonder if they made a difference, Marines don't have that problem.
Ronald Reagan
You do not have ST bearings in the HSG frame.
Old 03-10-2014, 07:53 PM

P.S. Found this in the archives:

Calling the guys at Serotta: why doesn't the MeiVici have the ST bearing?

P.P.S. George, that's a great tip—it's nice to know that the bearings can be serviced without the special bearing tool. Living so close to Signature Cycles, I'm lucky not to need the DIY solution.

P.P.P.S. For those who have never seen the bearing tool, as tools go, it really is something to behold. Like so (too?) many things Serotta, no expense was spared.
Old 03-11-2014, 08:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbarry View Post
Sorry, Happycampyer's take is correct...that's the bolted connection.
Those were proprietary made-in-house aluminum bolts, but they shouldn't ever need replacement under normal conditions.
The thread is M10x1, in case a non-factory replacement is ever needed.
Old 03-12-2014, 10:55 AM

Replacement of Serotta ST Bearings

Quote:
Sorry, Happycampyer's take is correct...that's the bolted connection.

Those were proprietary made-in-house aluminum bolts, but they shouldn't ever need replacement under normal conditions.

The thread is M10x1, in case a non-factory replacement is ever needed.

Thanks for the info, just wanted to be prepared in case.

Rides so nice, I am looking for a road bike just like it.
Now If I could find a 53 meivici set up for electric I'd be in heaven.
Heaven also would prob equal devorce

Some people wonder if they made a difference, Marines don't have that problem.
Ronald Reagan
Old 06-10-2014, 08:31 PM

Quote:
One should use a bit of caution here: there is no mention of any manner employed to limit the outward deflection of the seat stay during said hammer taps. The carbon stay could easily suffer damage, particularly in cases wherein the outer bearing race is firmly attached to the seat stay boss. A removable locktite product was used in later years, and in many examples we received back for refinish at the factory left out in the elements there was corrosion affixing the bearing race to the stay. This procedure would likely not produce the desired result, and the bearing may leave its outer race in the seat stay in its removal. The 8mm nut is an inexpensive item that could be worthy of essay, but I wouldn't consider it to be foolproof. The photo shows how unlikely the nut is to contact the outer race of the bearing. It will, however, clear the .41" inner lip of the seat stay boss to gain purchase on other parts of the bearing.
Seeking some advice for a Pivot bearing outer race solidly remaining in the seat stay.
Old 06-10-2014, 08:50 PM

ST Pivot Bearing parts??

Any ideas on replacement parts for a Serotta Legend TI ST Pivot bearing axle pictured here??
Attached Images
File Type: jpg STparts.jpg (21.7 KB, 478 views)
Old 06-11-2014, 09:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhino View Post
Seeking some advice for a Pivot bearing outer race solidly remaining in the seat stay.
Well, as far as makeshift presses go, an item such as this might gain better purchase on the frozen outer race. A careful use of an abrasive rotary tool run slowly or an end mill might make it through the race and allow you to crush/remove the remains. A small nick in the inner circumference of the ti stay boss, during rookie hour, won't ruin its function. Take it painfully slowly and be ready to abandon if you aren't confident in the controlled progress of the operation.
Old 06-16-2014, 04:25 PM

Quote:
Well, as far as makeshift presses go, an item such as this might gain better purchase on the frozen outer race. A careful use of an abrasive rotary tool run slowly or an end mill might make it through the race and allow you to crush/remove the remains. A small nick in the inner circumference of the ti stay boss, during rookie hour, won't ruin its function. Take it painfully slowly and be ready to abandon if you aren't confident in the controlled progress of the operation.
Success. Thanks Brian. Bolt acquired from Mike Grotz of Cyclesport, NJ.
Old 06-16-2014, 07:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhino View Post
Success. Thanks Brian. Bolt acquired from Mike Grotz of Cyclesport, NJ.
I'm glad to hear that. Mike, among some ex-dealers, would be expected to be able to assist in such matters. That shoulder bolt isn't proprietary, but also is not one you'd encounter at most typically supplied retail hardware stores in the U.S.
Old 06-30-2015, 01:58 PM

Edited the original post as service for original pictures is not working. Uploaded pictures to The Paceline.
Old 06-30-2015, 05:56 PM

Have you tried soaking the bearing in Liquid Wrench or Kroil Oil?
Mine had a good amount of rust. Liquid Wrench broke it free.