Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 12-21-2016, 10:41 PM

UPDATE:

I continued to dial in. I also decided to try swapping out the Extralite chainrings for something more 'robust' and went with the heavy Red 22 rings. The combo of continued trial and error along with the chainring swap seems to have me hitting the small to big shift just fine.

However, everything seemed dialed perfect for a shift, but I'm not rubbing the inside of the cage when in the big ring and the largest two (maybe three) cogs on the cassette. This is 52 front going to 11-28 cassette. It's the front-most portion of the cage that's just barely rubbing. Granted, this is a cross chain situation, but I'm just curious if this signifies something is still a bit off.
Old 12-22-2016, 05:37 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by frank_h View Post
UPDATE:

I continued to dial in. I also decided to try swapping out the Extralite chainrings for something more 'robust' and went with the heavy Red 22 rings. The combo of continued trial and error along with the chainring swap seems to have me hitting the small to big shift just fine.

However, everything seemed dialed perfect for a shift, but I'm not rubbing the inside of the cage when in the big ring and the largest two (maybe three) cogs on the cassette. This is 52 front going to 11-28 cassette. It's the front-most portion of the cage that's just barely rubbing. Granted, this is a cross chain situation, but I'm just curious if this signifies something is still a bit off.
Calling SocalSteve..I wouldn't have thought any front der took this long to 'dial in'...Perhaps self adjusting front ders(ala EPS and Di2) isn't a 'bad idea'...
Old 12-22-2016, 07:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by frank_h View Post
Granted, this is a cross chain situation, but I'm just curious if this signifies something is still a bit off.
nah, you shouldn't have any rubbing at all, even cross-chained. I'd take it to a shop at this point. probably something minor but significant that you're missing.

yaw can be tricky, but tricky as in "takes ten minutes instead of five." a month is a bit too long.
Old 12-22-2016, 07:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldpotatoe View Post
Calling SocalSteve..I wouldn't have thought any front der took this long to 'dial in'...Perhaps self adjusting front ders(ala EPS and Di2) isn't a 'bad idea'...
ahhh the internet.

one guy has problems adjusting his personal set up, and you call into question the validity of the YAW FD which pro teams and pro reviewers have found exemplary for years.

Usually you at least try to be helpful, but this is just inane.

How about I put my campy cassette on backwards, and then you can blame it on campagnolo's 11 speed cassette design....
Old 12-22-2016, 08:30 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by reggiebaseball View Post
ahhh the internet.

one guy has problems adjusting his personal set up, and you call into question the validity of the YAW FD which pro teams and pro reviewers have found exemplary for years.

Usually you at least try to be helpful, but this is just inane.

How about I put my campy cassette on backwards, and then you can blame it on campagnolo's 11 speed cassette design....
The guy has been trying to adjust his front derailleur for a month, 30 days. Haven't seen it but there's some reason why it's still wonky. I was the one to suggest the inserts to change der tilt. If one of yaw's marketing speels no trim, no rub...maybe an auto adjust would be better. My EPS front der doesn't have rub.

OBTW you can't put any cogset on backwards but I think ya may know that.
Old 12-22-2016, 09:51 AM

Quote:
Lets break this down a bit. Maybe the OP isn't retired like us and has very limited time to work on his bike. Let's also assume that the OP didn't own a bike store where he spent his entire day working on bikes or builds bikes often as a hobby.

Yes, the derailleur is a BIT finicky to set up. I had to " figure it out " as the tolerances were very narrow. But, it didn't take long and now it's perfect.

I would think that the OP ( if realistic ) would take his bike to a bike store where someone who has installed eTap could give him assistance and hopefully show him where he went wrong so he could learn from it for the future. As we all know, front derailleurs can be the trickiest part of a bike to set up.

Given all that, I installed eTap on 4 bikes with nary an issue. My bikes are all pretty much standard road bikes. Maybe the OP bike is not "standard" in some way and that is where the issue lies.

Until we know ALL THE FACTS, let's not jump to conclusions.

But, in a perfect Old Spud world, SRAM and Shimano wouldn't exist and we would not be having these discussions....
Old 12-22-2016, 10:39 AM

Quote:
If one of yaw's marketing speels no trim, no rub...maybe an auto adjust would be better. My EPS front der doesn't have rub.
running the yaw fd on five bikes currently, no rub on any of them. and a world free of trim and no need to auto-adjust is fantastic.

as SoCalSteve says, there's prolly something weird going on with the OP's bike. and if not, maybe there's just some head-slapper in there he's missing. happens to everyone. give the local shop a few bucks and learn a lesson, get it right next time. win-win.
Old 12-22-2016, 10:41 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalSteve View Post
Lets break this down a bit. Maybe the OP isn't retired like us and has very limited time to work on his bike. Let's also assume that the OP didn't own a bike store where he spent his entire day working on bikes or builds bikes often as a hobby.

Yes, the derailleur is a BIT finicky to set up. I had to " figure it out " as the tolerances were very narrow. But, it didn't take long and now it's perfect.

I would think that the OP ( if realistic ) would take his bike to a bike store where someone who has installed eTap could give him assistance and hopefully show him where he went wrong so he could learn from it for the future. As we all know, front derailleurs can be the trickiest part of a bike to set up.

Given all that, I installed eTap on 4 bikes with nary an issue. My bikes are all pretty much standard road bikes. Maybe the OP bike is not "standard" in some way and that is where the issue lies.

Until we know ALL THE FACTS, let's not jump to conclusions.

But, in a perfect Old Spud world, SRAM and Shimano wouldn't exist and we would not be having these discussions....
Omg a third post of the day!!!!

I'm just happy there hasn't been any posts about Campagnolo's wonkiness :
Old 12-22-2016, 12:26 PM

Quote:
Omg a third post of the day!!!!

I'm just happy there hasn't been any posts about Campagnolo's wonkiness :
Wait! Hold the presses! I thought Campagnolo was perfect in EVERY way. It's not??? My life is shattered! I have nothing to live for any longer...

Last edited by SoCalSteve; 12-22-2016 at 12:28 PM.
Old 12-22-2016, 12:28 PM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Wait! Hold the presses! I thought Campagnolo was perfect in EVERY way. it's not???
It is and I have no problem with :shimano...I think di2 is excellent...eek:
Old 12-22-2016, 12:31 PM

Quote:
It is and I have no problem with :shimano...I think di2 is excellent...eek:
So, the thing I find the most amusing is that you publicly ( and often ) discount, dish, put down and wholly think it's crap...an entire company, its whole product line and everything about it because of one person who you didn't get along with at said company.
Old 12-22-2016, 12:34 PM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
So, the thing I find the most amusing is that you publicly ( and often ) discount, dish, put down and wholly think it's crap...an entire company, its whole product line and everything about it because of one person who you didn't get along with at said company.
Well he is the face of the company and he's the one to 'reach out' to me, as a bike shop owner. And, As a 'civilian', my prerogative, whether you think I'm FOS or not, yes?

How many slam specialized because of synard or however you spell his name? Or Rapha?

Last edited by oldpotatoe; 12-22-2016 at 12:36 PM.
Old 12-22-2016, 12:42 PM

Quote:
eh, this forum in general hates everything Sram and uses every opportunity to highlight how Campy is the one and only true way and Sram is garbage, Shimano just above it. which is fine. everyone is entitled to an opinion. except I don't know these people or how many miles a year they ride. but I know several people that do 10k+ miles a year on Sram and Shimano with no more issues than fellow Campy users. and I'll trust that personal experience over random anonymous internet commentators.

it's just stuff. it gets used and works fine. eventually it wears out like anything else. whatever. some like it, some don't. but those who don't can't stop throwing stones for some stupid reason, even when none are ever lobbed their way.
Old 12-23-2016, 05:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiasticon View Post
eh, this forum in general hates everything Sram and uses every opportunity to highlight how Campy is the one and only true way and Sram is garbage, Shimano just above it. which is fine. everyone is entitled to an opinion. except I don't know these people or how many miles a year they ride. but I know several people that do 10k+ miles a year on Sram and Shimano with no more issues than fellow Campy users. and I'll trust that personal experience over random anonymous internet commentators.

it's just stuff. it gets used and works fine. eventually it wears out like anything else. whatever. some like it, some don't. but those who don't can't stop throwing stones for some stupid reason, even when none are ever lobbed their way.
I put in well over 1K miles a month, mostly on SRAM (mech and etap), and never have problems that I would attribute to SRAM. My most finicky and issue prone bike is the one Campy bike in the fleet. My shimano bike is mechanical hydro with the stupid hoods that won't stay in place and the long arm FD that had to be replaced so I could actually fit a decent sized tire. The SRAM bikes just keep on keepin' on with virtually no adjustment required after the initial build. And more on the topic of Yaw FDs, after years of using them I can't stand the trim stops on my non-SRAM bikes. What a waste of clicks to avoid the chainrub that never happens with Yaw.

Tags
etap, front derailleur, sram, tuning