Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 09-24-2020, 10:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by robt57 View Post
Get batting of correct width with vapor barrier one and staple it to the roof rafters. Vapor barrier facing down. I'd get 2x6 even though you really should have some air under the sheathing. But 2x6 in 2x6 rafters spaces will sink a little in time and leave a little air space to the wood in time.

Your real issue IMO will be the concrete sucking the heat outta your feet. Decide on a corner for your desk and put a few 3/4" horse mats down over the cement there, and a small heat pad made for under a desk for your feet while you sit.

Make sure the weather stripping on exterior doors is good/new/tight, insulate the garage door panels if only thin Aluminum one sided.

Get a third horse mat for your bike trainer area...
Yeah, the concrete floor will get cold in winter. Eventually I thought about putting in something like Dricore flooring and a rubber mat over top, but that will be a later project. I also do a little welding out there, so have to consider the floor for that as well... maybe just get a nice welding blanket to throw down or just plan to make all my sparks outside. I have some 1/4" rubber mats out there now in the half where the bike stand resides. I dont actually have a desk out there, I'm working off my table saw... just making sure to not run it through my laptop in the frustration of teaching online.

Going through plans for everything on wheels (storage/shop tools/etc)to reconfigure the space when I need to work on different projects.

I was planning on r19 for either ceiling or roof, r13 in the walls. Vapor barrier on both

To the above for difficulty of installing drywall on the roof, there is only 41" between peak and ceiling, and half of the length has boards already nailed down for storage, so getting full sheets of drywall up would require some effort. Nothing terribly heavy is being stored, wheel/bike boxes, thule box, some beach stuff, vintage cannonball collection, etc. It's just me doing the work. I need to get it done as economically as possible, but also want it right, as doing it wrong would be even more expensive.

Plenty to think about. I'll see if I can identify the type of wood based on the span chart linked above to see what load it can support. Maybe I'll have to find a different place to keep the cannonball collection.

Last edited by cmbicycles; 09-24-2020 at 10:16 PM.
Old 09-24-2020, 10:20 PM

OK, no exposed spray foam for you if you're welding out there. Whatever insulation you pick, how about metal -- like roofing or inexpensive siding? Already painted from the factory. Screw it up just like you would drywall, but be neat about it. Its much lighter than drywall.

Last edited by HenryA; 09-24-2020 at 10:48 PM.
Old 09-24-2020, 10:29 PM

I had considered doing metal roofing for the ceiling, or underside of the roof itself. Maybe drywall on the walls and that up top, or just do the whole thing in corrugated metal something. Could run the electric over top of the metal using the flexible metal conduit. A friend is an electrician and offered to take a look to make recommendations so I'll see what he thinks as well.
Old 09-25-2020, 04:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by adampaiva View Post
Wow you guys love to make a project more expensive. He doesn’t seem to be creating a new bedroom or anything. I’d personally not bother with all of this inspector/permits stuff if this was mine.

Why will Sheetrock be particularly difficult on the roof underside? Doing it yourself or hiring that out? You could pop in rigid foam insulation to the underside and choose to cover or not? Not sure if there are sufficiently fire retardant options to leave exposed. Or add nailer strips and just sheetrock between the roof 2x6’s.
Every time I hear about a structure collapsing in some 3rd world s__thole resulting in scores of deaths and injuries, I say a little prayer of thanks that I live in a country with building codes.
Old 09-25-2020, 07:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HenryA View Post
OK, no exposed spray foam for you if you're welding out there. Whatever insulation you pick, how about metal -- like roofing or inexpensive siding? Already painted from the factory. Screw it up just like you would drywall, but be neat about it. Its much lighter than drywall.
The first house we owned, the previous owner did a neat trick finishing out the basement. The basement ceiling was engineered I-beam 16OC. They bought some nice looking vinyl siding, cut it to about 15" wide, and popped it in between the beams so it would rest on the bottom flanges of the I's. Coat of paint on the exposed surfaces and you're Robert's nephew. Looked really nice, was light, you could cut holes in it for pot lights where needed, and was super easy to remove a panel to get to utilities. Pretty clever.

The 24" centers might make this a non-starter for the OP's application. The panels probably aren't rigid enough and would sag in the center. Also for sure wouldn't support the weight of insulation.
Old 09-25-2020, 07:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HenryA View Post
A friend of mine did this inside his shop, be aware, there is no noise dampening with this. It may not matter to you but grinders, drills, etc get louder with an odd echo. He regretted it in his case.

The last shop I built for myself I put T-111 on the walls, just the least expensive I could find, and sheetrock above. I would do that again. That might be an option for you as well, once the T-111 is nailed up it's finished unless you really want to paint it.
Old 09-25-2020, 08:34 AM

Codes may require a minimum R38 ceiling insulation. Local codes should also be considered for the wall and ceiling coverings. Sheet rock is usually required for fire protection. Other decorative materials go on top of that.

I acted as the general contractor when I built my home and 1800 square foot shop. With the high wind potential in the foothills of the front range, the roofs and walls had to be anchored to withstand 110 mph winds. A licensed engineer had to sign off on the design. In Larimer County, all builds must be designed by a licensed architect or engineer. Heated workshops must have R10 foundation insulation. I even have R10 foam panels under the 6 inch thick concrete floors in the workshop. I bought garage doors with the highest R value sold by Clopay, at the time.
Old 09-25-2020, 09:01 AM
Registered (ab)User

Quote:
Originally Posted by lzuk View Post
Easiest insulated ceiling might be rigid foam on top of the ceiling joists.
I was wondering if anyone would suggest this; wasn't sure it was still a thing.

Back in the 1970s my Dad was in the plastics industry, he worked for the polystyrenics division of Arco Chemical selling the raw plastic material to molders and fabricators. So we got a ton of finished product to "beta test" in our home, including the then-nascent rigid foam insulation. Did our attic and garage entirely with 1" foam. I guess it worked.

But since I've lived in apartment buildings for the 40+ years since and rarely hang out in Home Depot, I wasn't sure if expandable polystyrene foam was still a go-to for insulation materials.

=====
Amusing story albeit thread-drift: When I was 18 and needed a job my Dad hooked me up with one of his clients who manufactured this aforementioned 1" rigid foam insulation. The way they make those 4'x8'x1" sheets of foam insulation is they mold a 4'x8'x3' block of solid foam -- fill the mold with loose polystyrene beads, blast it with steam to get the beads to expand/congeal -- and then they use an industrial hot wire knife to slice off 1" sheets. Anyway, the steam expansion process creates a lot of static electric cling, and so getting the 4'x8'x3' block out of the mold after it's been expanded is a bit of a chore. The job that I was offered involved whacking the side of this giant mold with a baseball bat to loosen the foam block until it fell out! $2.15/hour to smack a giant aluminum block with a baseball bat for 8 hours a day.

I declined the offer.

Last edited by Bob Ross; 09-25-2020 at 09:09 AM.
Old 09-25-2020, 10:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tandem Rider View Post
A friend of mine did this inside his shop, be aware, there is no noise dampening with this. It may not matter to you but grinders, drills, etc get louder with an odd echo. He regretted it in his case.

The last shop I built for myself I put T-111 on the walls, just the least expensive I could find, and sheetrock above. I would do that again. That might be an option for you as well, once the T-111 is nailed up it's finished unless you really want to paint it.
Agreed.
My first pick is T111 as well. I like the somewhat rustic look when unpainted. Kinda like a fancy show horse stable look.
Old 09-25-2020, 11:01 AM

Building engineer here...FWIW...

41" to peak seems marginal storage for the cost of putting the thermal boundary at the roof rather than the ceiling joists. If you have stuff to store up there that gets used once/year, think about an end wall access in the gable, above the thermal boundary.

You want to make this enclosure airtight (and then consider a small energy recovery ventilator). The occupancy you describe won't generate much moisture and a vapor retarder is less critical than an air barrier, especially at the ceiling level. If you have the floor to ceiling height available, and because you have minimal insulation depth available under the existing storage "floor" in the attic, unless you remove them, I might put up a 1" layer of foil-faced polyisocyanurate insulation on the underside of the ceiling, tape the joints as an air barrier (foil takes care of the vapor issue too), strap over the foam with a true 1" thick strapping to run wiring in without penetrating the foam. Avoid recessed lights - use surface mount LED lights, some don't even require a shallow electrical box.

I'd rather blow-in cellulose than batts, fills all the nooks and crannies. If using batts, mineral wool batts are stiffer and fill cavities better than fiberglass - Roxul is one brand. Same for the walls. Cut the batts carefully around wiring, and use an outlet cover gasket to limit air leakage.

1" of foam on the floor will make a big difference in comfort. You can get Huber Zip-R with OSB laminated to 1" foam (or more) and maybe glue it down. You'll need an additional surface on top of that for welding though! Maybe 1/2" cementboard, such as Durock.

If you use a vapor retarder, in your climate I would choose Certainteed MemBrain, which is a variable permeability product. Tape it if it's the air barrier, otherwise not needed.

Finally, a single zone minisplit heat pump will provide heating and cooling, and if you do a decent job on the thermal enclosure you can likely get away with a 9,000 BTU/hour unit, or even a 6,000 BTU/hour. The brands I use are Mitsubishi and Fujitsu.
Old 09-25-2020, 11:25 AM
NJ/NashV/PDX

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmbicycles View Post
Yeah, the concrete floor will get cold in winter.
The other issue is the evaporating moisture off it. Evaporation is how cooling works if you'll recall 9th grade science and health classes.

Truth is probably closer to it won't change that much in temperature year round. But it's mass and evaporation process and your feet so close will be subject to temperature transfer.

So sealing the surface, and wearing wool socks and good weather insulate shoes for prolonged standing help as much as anything. Unless you put a thermal reflective layer on top of an insulating layer, an 220v electrical heating mat grid and and convection friendly flooring layer....

The shoes and socks route will eat into your chi chi zoot bike budget less though....
Old 09-25-2020, 01:23 PM

For all but the floor, NHAero has presented some very good ideas. The frugal solution to a cold concrete floor is wool socks.

If you heat and cool it even moderately, the air will exchange enough to keep humidity at an acceptable level. I have a dehumidifier running in my garage and its around 30% humidity in there now. No rust, no funk growing, reasonably comfortable and I live in a humid place.
Old 09-25-2020, 03:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHAero View Post
Building engineer here...FWIW...

41" to peak seems marginal storage for the cost of putting the thermal boundary at the roof rather than the ceiling joists. If you have stuff to store up there that gets used once/year, think about an end wall access in the gable, above the thermal boundary.

You want to make this enclosure airtight (and then consider a small energy recovery ventilator). The occupancy you describe won't generate much moisture and a vapor retarder is less critical than an air barrier, especially at the ceiling level. If you have the floor to ceiling height available, and because you have minimal insulation depth available under the existing storage "floor" in the attic, unless you remove them, I might put up a 1" layer of foil-faced polyisocyanurate insulation on the underside of the ceiling, tape the joints as an air barrier (foil takes care of the vapor issue too), strap over the foam with a true 1" thick strapping to run wiring in without penetrating the foam. Avoid recessed lights - use surface mount LED lights, some don't even require a shallow electrical box.

I'd rather blow-in cellulose than batts, fills all the nooks and crannies. If using batts, mineral wool batts are stiffer and fill cavities better than fiberglass - Roxul is one brand. Same for the walls. Cut the batts carefully around wiring, and use an outlet cover gasket to limit air leakage.

1" of foam on the floor will make a big difference in comfort. You can get Huber Zip-R with OSB laminated to 1" foam (or more) and maybe glue it down. You'll need an additional surface on top of that for welding though! Maybe 1/2" cementboard, such as Durock.

If you use a vapor retarder, in your climate I would choose Certainteed MemBrain, which is a variable permeability product. Tape it if it's the air barrier, otherwise not needed.

Finally, a single zone minisplit heat pump will provide heating and cooling, and if you do a decent job on the thermal enclosure you can likely get away with a 9,000 BTU/hour unit, or even a 6,000 BTU/hour. The brands I use are Mitsubishi and Fujitsu.
If we could vacation without the thule box I'd get rid of it, but don't have another space to store it off the car. So while the amount of space isn't much, its what I have to work with. If I cut into the gable wall, I will probably need to replace the siding on the whole garage... which also matches the house. That is not a project we want to tackle right now. It is older, faded and somewhat brittle, and I don't think it would survive removing some sections to cut an exterior access door on the gable. There are also diagonal braces that go from the gable wall sill plate to the ridge beam that would block an access door. I was considering sistering a couple of the ceiling joists, cutting one joist in between and making a drop down access door to gain access, but need to do a little more thinking on that regard.

I dont know that I'll be able to make it completely airtight on the first phase as the windows aren't in the plan and aren't exactly airtight. I will be replacing the metal garage door with an insulated door, but windows will be phase two. The hope is just to make it comfortable enough to work in efficiently for now and leave some upgrades, like flooring and a mini-split system for later. There is only 95" from floor to bottom of the ceiling joists so can't do too much layering of floor and ceiling without bumping my head, I'd also need to reframe the side door to clear any raised flooring.

I am not planning on recessed lighting. Its a workshop but was going to look into some more basic LED light options.

Thank you for the options to consider. I appreciate it. Maybe I need to just knock it down and make it bigger... that seems the most economically sound(less) choice, but would let me net what I need from the space more easily. All it takes is money. lol.