Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 02-23-2021, 12:44 PM

Paging all San Diegans....

....just moved to North County in January (Carmel Valley) and have figured out the roads and routes a bit.

Curious to know if there are any group rides going, either weekday or weekend? Would like to figure out who goes where and when, so I can start planning to join as things open back up. I know about the SDBD and Swami's routes, but don't think either are back on just yet.

I see tons of folks out riding in small groups and a few that look big enough to be group rides.

Any ideas if anything has started up yet? And yes, I'm aware of the dangers of COVID, so no need to opine here.
Old 02-23-2021, 12:58 PM

Swamis

I’ve been away from road biking 4+ years now but the big ride was the weekend Swamis cycling club ride that left from Nytro in Encinitas. I used to ride up there from Hillcrest, do the ride, and ride home. They had an A & B group and a few longer distance splinter groups.
Old 02-23-2021, 04:28 PM

Check with UC Cyclery because they are a starting point for a couple of group rides.
Old 02-23-2021, 04:43 PM

There used to be a Wednesday ride (pre 9/11) that went to San Onofre through Camp Pendelton.

Not sure if that still goes.

Also used to be the SDBC ride leaving from the Golden triangle area.
Old 02-23-2021, 04:57 PM

nope

Quote:
Originally Posted by JedB View Post
There used to be a Wednesday ride (pre 9/11) that went to San Onofre through Camp Pendelton.

Not sure if that still goes.

Also used to be the SDBC ride leaving from the Golden triangle area.
no bikes on basilone rd
Old 02-23-2021, 06:04 PM

I have ridden in the SDBC rides on occasion. Before Covid, they were pretty big (20-40 riders), and the skill level (holding a line and keeping an even pace) was all over the map. I've ridden with the Ride Cyclery group rides, probably around 50 times in the last 5 years or so. Saturday morning group rides. Typically around 50 miles with 3-4 stops for a quick snack and regrouping. Nice routes and a good group of riders that was smaller (5-20 riders) and tended to have a closer skill set, so I liked it better. Depending on the route, the avg. mph would be probably 16-20 mph. Guesstimate.

Here's a link: https://www.ridecyclery.com/pages/rides

Last I heard, which was several months ago, they had suspended the group rides due to Covid, but that may have changed.
Old 02-23-2021, 08:24 PM

Immediately register for the Belgian Waffle Ride.
Old 02-23-2021, 08:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KJMUNC View Post
....just moved to North County in January (Carmel Valley) I know about the SDBD and Swami's routes, but don't think either are back on just yet.
Welcome to North County. The Swami's ride is still going these days and I see people coming back from the Wednesday Pendleton ride When things allow, the Eliel Wednesday morning ride will be back on, which leaves from 7:15 from Ironsmith Roasters in Encinitas.
Old 02-23-2021, 09:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimcav View Post
no bikes on basilone rd
I moved from San Diego in '96, so it was still going at the time.
Was one of my more favorite rides.
I know in the days immediately following 9/11 that the base was closed to bike traffic

Sorry to hear that ride is no longer. It used to be pretty epic. Hegg, Horner, LA-Sherrifs, Paula Newby-Fraser, a bunch of pro-tri folks. Fast as . .
Old 02-24-2021, 06:28 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
....just moved to North County in January (Carmel Valley) and have figured out the roads and routes a bit.

Curious to know if there are any group rides going, either weekday or weekend? Would like to figure out who goes where and when, so I can start planning to join as things open back up. I know about the SDBD and Swami's routes, but don't think either are back on just yet.

I see tons of folks out riding in small groups and a few that look big enough to be group rides.

Any ideas if anything has started up yet? And yes, I'm aware of the dangers of COVID, so no need to opine here.
https://ranchoscycling.org/

Used to ride with them..'way back when'(1990-1993)...they are still around tho.
Old 02-24-2021, 09:32 AM

Sorry I don't really know the group riding situation right now but I just wanted to welcome you to San Diego!

Until group rides are back on perhaps I can share some common routes to tide you over?
Old 02-24-2021, 09:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coffee Rider View Post
Welcome to North County. The Swami's ride is still going these days and I see people coming back from the Wednesday Pendleton ride When things allow, the Eliel Wednesday morning ride will be back on, which leaves from 7:15 from Ironsmith Roasters in Encinitas.
Good to know, thanks. Might to to join one of these as things start to clear out.

I've consistently seen a group of 8-10 hammering west on San Dieguito every Tues night around 5:45/6pm....might be a group finishing a SDBC loop or just a bunch of friends. didn't know if it was remnants of a larger ride or not.
Old 02-24-2021, 10:59 AM

There is also some great mountain bike and gravel bike riding in the SD/North County areas. Go hang out at Rouleur Brewing Company on a Saturday or Sunday afternoon and you will meet a lot of riders. We usually ride gravel out of there on Sunday mornings @ 9:30. And there is a Thursday night gravel ride too. Also, you may want to check out meetup.com. I lead some mtn bike rides for one of the groups but don't know much about the road groups.
Old 02-24-2021, 11:06 AM
formerly Landshark_98

I might have to bookmark this thread. This will be our last winter in the Pacific NW and San Diego is an area that we are interested in exploring for a good portion of the year. Sounds like a good number of Paceliners in the region!
Old 02-24-2021, 12:14 PM

Quote:
Good to know, thanks. Might to to join one of these as things start to clear out.

I've consistently seen a group of 8-10 hammering west on San Dieguito every Tues night around 5:45/6pm....might be a group finishing a SDBC loop or just a bunch of friends. didn't know if it was remnants of a larger ride or not.
Hard to say. There's a lot of different groups, some of which have splintered off of Swami's or other larger groups, and they're not necessarily affiliated with a shop any longer. Just a lot of them around.