Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 01-26-2021, 07:12 AM

{thumbs-up emoji}

Understandable that you wanted the Kirk back; very generous of Scott to let it come home.

It looks like you're going to be amassing a good collection of modern and vintage steel. It must be fun to check all of them out to compare and contrast.

Is the Ellis disc more rando-distance?
Old 01-26-2021, 08:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhespenheide View Post
{thumbs-up emoji}

Understandable that you wanted the Kirk back; very generous of Scott to let it come home.

It looks like you're going to be amassing a good collection of modern and vintage steel. It must be fun to check all of them out to compare and contrast.

Is the Ellis disc more rando-distance?
Yes, Scott was gracious to offer it back - and I'm very excited to get to do the rebuild.

On the continuum of tire size and party vs race pace, it'll look like this:

Ellis > Kirk > Sachs > ? > Coors

The Ellis is a distance tourer but not low trail or traditional rando. We'll see how it goes. The owner is a really good guy and it's a feel good purchase with not a lot of risk if it doesn't work.

The Ellis I want to commission would fit to the far end with more clearance and carrying capacity, while the Kirk Onesto JKS will be slotting in next to the Coors.
Old 01-26-2021, 10:05 AM
Deconditioned!

Gonna be great to see these builds come together!

And...rather than compiling a 2021 thread at the end of the year, you can just start a running tale now so we can all journey together.
Old 01-29-2021, 03:05 PM

I for one will be really interested in your reflections on the Kirk vs Sachs once you’ve got some renewed miles on the former.

And one other question if I may. You flipped an MX Leader pretty quickly a few years back. I suppose that surprised me because of it’s reputation amongst production bikes. With the passage of time, what are your reflections?
Old 01-29-2021, 04:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by simonconnell View Post
I for one will be really interested in your reflections on the Kirk vs Sachs once you’ve got some renewed miles on the former.

And one other question if I may. You flipped an MX Leader pretty quickly a few years back. I suppose that surprised me because of it’s reputation amongst production bikes. With the passage of time, what are your reflections?
Well, I've had a lot more steel come and go since then, so I feel like I would be better able to assess it now than I was then. The limited tire clearance on a bike that stiff was...limiting.. It felt a little dead under me to be honest, though I was a good 10-15lbs lighter then. I would be up for trying another one at some point. Or more likely, to having a UOS Pegorichie build done by Hampsten Cycles - their Team Pro - which gets all the goodness of MAX with better tire clearance and perfectly-spec'd geometry given the custom aspect. Plus, you get to work with Steve, so....win-win.

The Kirk and the Sachs will be set up differently but of course will have some similarities. I plan for the Kirk to run 32s and the Sachs will have 28s or less, and likely tubulars. I'm also putting wider-range gears on the Kirk.
Old 01-29-2021, 05:30 PM

Great read! Start a blog on the things you’ve observed on your rides. I’ll read it
Old 01-29-2021, 06:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by XXtwindad View Post
Great read! Start a blog on the things you’ve observed on your rides. I’ll read it
The only thing holding me back right now is needed a monitor switch so I can write from a keyboard instead of my laptop and use my big screen. Working on it over the weekend...
Old 02-27-2021, 11:01 AM

Good and interesting stuff. The Colnago C64 Clean sold was probably one of the all time greatest deal on a bike that I have seen. I am still kicking myself because its impossible to find a decent direct mount nowadays, but I really wasn't in the market at the time. Such is life we win some and we lose some.

Last edited by MoparPorsche; 02-27-2021 at 11:08 AM.
Old 01-21-2022, 01:54 PM
Deconditioned!

Get going!

Ahem....chop chop bub. Time to get moving on 2021. Less work, less riding, more typing. Please.
Old 01-21-2022, 02:00 PM

Showing this thread to my partner
Old 01-21-2022, 02:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lavi View Post
Ahem....chop chop bub. Time to get moving on 2021. Less work, less riding, more typing. Please.
it's been a dirty 2022 so far by my count!
Old 01-21-2022, 02:59 PM

Stay tuned. Sun's poking out and I got riding to do..
Old 01-21-2022, 04:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lavi View Post

I’m with Lavi on this, I always look forward to seeing your yearly recap. I’m not sure I keep a good enough documentation to do my own—it would surely pale in comparison to yours anyway.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk