Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > Image Gallery > Custom Bikes

Old 12-24-2020, 05:10 PM

If you go custom stem for a 1" steerer, I would go with a 4 bolt clamped interface for the handlebars up front. They just have more clamping force. It may be a small compromise to function over form, but in the end it is just a better solution.
Old 12-24-2020, 11:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pastashop View Post
Nice effin' road bike :-)

Re. stem: I knows the best is a custom and all that, and it wouldn't be out of place on a bike of this provenance, but TIG'ed Salsa stems crop up on eBay not infrequently, and they're as good as anything, especially if you keep it black. Find a matching Salsa post (which is one of the best designs), and Robert is your father's brother.
Many thanks. I keep an eye out for them, and Steelman/Kelly - the key is finding them in good condition and with a 26.0 clamp...and at reasonable prices. But yeah, that is a much less spendy route than a custom stem for sure.
Old 12-24-2020, 11:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morgul Bismark View Post
If you go custom stem for a 1" steerer, I would go with a 4 bolt clamped interface for the handlebars up front. They just have more clamping force. It may be a small compromise to function over form, but in the end it is just a better solution.
Are you no longer using the Tomii stem you got for your Kirk..? If not, I know someone who'd be interested..

I agree though on the 4-bolt if doing a carbon bar. On alloy, I think either is fine. Though 4-bolt definitely opens the door for more modern shapes, like the flat tops on a Ritchey EvoCurve.
Old 12-25-2020, 08:24 AM

Just pointing out I would do it a little differently if I were doing it again. That traditional pinch bolt design does limit handlebar options, a lot of modern alloy bars have some difficult geometry to work with. Thus my recommendation for 4 bolt. It adds a lot of flexibility.

Last edited by Morgul Bismark; 12-25-2020 at 08:27 AM.
Old 12-25-2020, 11:36 AM

Same, but I think you both agree already. I have a couple of quill stems where a modern handlebar won't fit because the curves are too aggressive. That might be exacerbated by the fact that I use stems with a longer extension on the neck -- 11 to 13cm -- but sometimes it just seems like the curvature itself is too much to fit through an old stem that doesn't have a removable faceplate.

I haven't tried a Ritchey neoclassic, so that one might work. The Soma Highway 46 did not work for me.

I do wonder if it would be possible to take an old Salsa or other steel stem and add another bolt or two on the top to retrofit it so that you could create a removable faceplate.
Old 12-25-2020, 12:07 PM

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Kelly-Stem-...-/164592528435

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Sal...-/124265529681

https://www.ebay.com/itm/3T-LESS-XL-...-/164572523252

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Kelly-Bike-...-/313105236246

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Steelman-Cy...-/303664898555

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Steelman-Cy...-/303664898554

For the 25.4 clamps, I’d run the Maes bar from Herse... but then prices start creeping up into the custom territory.
Old 12-25-2020, 12:22 PM
commuter racer

I was just riding my Serotta yesterday and 26.0 bars seem to bother my hands now after using Deda Zero's with flat tops. It's hard for me to go back. I'm guessing Clean wants OS bars?
Old 12-28-2020, 03:20 PM

what's a few millimeters between friends

methought Clean-pal said 26.0 dia bars?..

At any rate, Crust, for a few weeks before their shutdown / hiatus, actually carried some Nitto filleted stems that fit a 1" steerer and 26.0 diameter bars. I was lucky enough to get one, which I ain't sellin'. It was basically a nickel-finish, single bolt clamp version of this one from R.Herse, but with a native 1" steerer compatibility. They had a separate one for 1.125" steerers.

For steel road and gravel bikes using steel steerers, 1" is probably best, IMO. But now that every weekend punter runs a crabon fork (which of course is the only thing that keeps 'em from sliding thirty milliseconds – five whole places in age group! – on the local Strava loop), good luck finding nice looking production stems at reasonable prices.

Oh well. We luddi... ahem, aficionados will have our gripes, as well as our sources.

Excepting the particular condition of tinkeritis interminabilis, the most cost-effective solution I see over the long run is a custom frame + fork + stem. Clean-pal, you know you are already in for more than 2/3 of that equation, so you can treat yourself, right?..
Old 12-28-2020, 11:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shinomaster View Post
I was just riding my Serotta yesterday and 26.0 bars seem to bother my hands now after using Deda Zero's with flat tops. It's hard for me to go back. I'm guessing Clean wants OS bars?
Theoretically I'm fine with either if the shape of the shoulders and drops is similar to the Ritchey Neo-Classic on there now. If you run cables in front of and behind the bars, it kinda creates flattish tops out of the round pipes anyway. And where I'm grabbing them the diameter is the same regardless the clamp diameter. I should probably experiment with some 26.0 bars just to be sure though....before getting a custom stem.

Last edited by Clean39T; 12-28-2020 at 11:56 PM.
Old 12-28-2020, 11:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pastashop View Post

Excepting the particular condition of tinkeritis interminabilis, the most cost-effective solution I see over the long run is a custom frame + fork + stem. Clean-pal, you know you are already in for more than 2/3 of that equation, so you can treat yourself, right?..
Now, the fact that the Sachs might fit you has nothing to do with this advice......right?

I'm very happy with it. Another 60ish mile ride yesterday fully confirmed it's the right bike for me in every way for classic road riding. It does everything I want a road bike to do. But of course I'll still obsess about the perfect stem and fiddle with build choices.......wheels, groups, etc. It's who I am.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
Old 12-29-2020, 12:21 AM
v a n i l l a

Just go with 26.0 and wrap with 3mm fizik bondcush.

Did so with nitto noodle. It’s fine since I don’t ride in the tops - mostly hoods or drops

It’s a serviceable alternative to evocurve
Old 12-29-2020, 07:32 AM

A couple other non-custom options:
Sim Works (Nitto) Caroline is 1 1/8" steerer with 31.8mm handlebars
Blulug Fairweather (Nitto) for 1" steerer with 25.4mm handlebars
Old 12-29-2020, 10:27 AM

If only that second one was negative rise.. I'll sort it out eventually though. The Deda stem is holding things together just fine for now
Old 12-29-2020, 10:59 AM
NJ/TN/PDX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clean39T View Post
If only that second one was negative rise.. I'll sort it out eventually though. The Deda stem is holding things together just fine for now
What length you need. I think I have a 1" Ti Specialized ahead 135mm with slight -/+ rise...
Old 12-29-2020, 06:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clean39T View Post
Now, the fact that the Sachs might fit you has nothing to do with this advice......right?

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
Hehe... I’d loan you my 100mm Salsa stem and Nitto Dream bar for fitting purposes, but the contract would have to include a return loan of the whole bike. :-)

I’m doing an extended test of a 63 cm SimpleOne right now, which is quite a nice fit, even though it’s measured C-T, accounting for the sloping TT it might be in the same stack & reach ballpark. Time to source some Vlaandrens?..