Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > Image Gallery > Custom Bikes

Old 12-22-2020, 01:53 PM

Seriously Dan, most of us on PL have a Sachs on our bucket list and here you are with 2! and IMHO the best colors! Enjoy!
Old 12-22-2020, 01:56 PM
commuter racer

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Bike-Stem-B...cAAOSwTgJciSvR
Old 12-22-2020, 02:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shinomaster View Post
140!

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
Old 12-22-2020, 02:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhespenheide View Post
Perhaps the Nitto UI-12 in the meantime? Or an Innicycle conversion headset, if you want to go that route.
The Deda works for now. If I find a steel stem w neg 10-15deg drop, there's room to adjust... I find most modern stems, even Nitto, too bulky. This is 100% aesthetics-based obsessing.

Old 12-22-2020, 02:40 PM
commuter racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clean39T View Post
140!

You can stretch! I have an Eclipse quill stem on my Serotta, they're pretty nice.
Old 12-22-2020, 03:32 PM

Three of my favorite builders. Sachs, Kirk and Dinucci. Two years ago I was given the green light by my wife to purchase a new custom and these three were at the top of my list along with Spectrum. I had Dave build my dream bike but Sachs and Dinucci would have been just as incredible. I hope we can see a few Dinucci bikes here. I just love his dropouts.
Old 12-22-2020, 04:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob heinatz View Post
Three of my favorite builders. Sachs, Kirk and Dinucci. Two years ago I was given the green light by my wife to purchase a new custom and these three were at the top of my list along with Spectrum. I had Dave build my dream bike but Sachs and Dinucci would have been just as incredible. I hope we can see a few Dinucci bikes here. I just love his dropouts.
Mark's interview on The Pull podcast really sold me - plus my experience with an S-Works steel MTB he designed in the 90s.. And then talking to him on the phone just further sealed it.

If life treats me well, I'll have one from each in the garage within the next couple of years - and an Ellis. I think I'd be set at that point....for a while.
Old 12-22-2020, 04:59 PM

Quote:
I'm trying one of those on the silver build but they are for 1.125" steerers, so it probably won't look quite right. A custom steel stem is really the only answer.
Ah okay, didn't realise it was a 1" steerer, but it explains why I thought the 3T stem in your first pictures looked to chunky.

Whatever you get, make sure it's a -17. It really does make or break the look of a level top tube.
Old 12-22-2020, 05:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by macaroon View Post
Ah okay, didn't realise it was a 1" steerer, but it explains why I thought the 3T stem in your first pictures looked to chunky.

Whatever you get, make sure it's a -17. It really does make or break the look of a level top tube.
I agree, but if you look at the pic in the garage, the -17 actually dips below the horizon, which leads me to believe it is a 74 deg HTA on there.. So, if I did a custom stem, I'd go -16 deg, or get out the goniometer and figure it out for sure. Yes, I'm that persnickety.
Old 12-23-2020, 02:37 AM

Quote:
I agree, but if you look at the pic in the garage, the -17 actually dips below the horizon, which leads me to believe it is a 74 deg HTA on there.. So, if I did a custom stem, I'd go -16 deg, or get out the goniometer and figure it out for sure. Yes, I'm that persnickety.
Good! Most fancy schmancy custom bikes I see on here are usually spoilt by one thing or another (stem angle being one of them). This one's almost perfect, so it pays getting the details right.
Old 12-23-2020, 03:00 AM

Quote:
A custom steel stem is really the only answer.
I'd contact Nao at Tomii His stems are top notch and he's a top bloke.

Oh and how good do well proportioned straight tubed bikes look? A+
Old 12-23-2020, 07:23 AM

There's nothing wrong with having two RS bikes, though we've achieved that in different ways. This one is barely a couple years old, and the color is on point for this thread:

And this was my only bike for over 20 years starting in Spring 1984. Here, it was the day before L'Eroica in Siena in 2012:

I've got a LOT more bikes now; it's a sickness . . . .

Enjoy, hope it sticks around awhile.
Old 12-24-2020, 10:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Porter View Post
There's nothing wrong with having two RS bikes, though we've achieved that in different ways. This one is barely a couple years old, and the color is on point for this thread:

And this was my only bike for over 20 years starting in Spring 1984. Here, it was the day before L'Eroica in Siena in 2012:

I've got a LOT more bikes now; it's a sickness . . . .

Enjoy, hope it sticks around awhile.
Wow! Those are both incredible... I didn't realize you had a collection. I like the way the Boras look on there, going to have to unbox mine and start thinking about build options. I had another great ride on it yesterday, though mid-20s for temps is really questionable for me - just don't have the gear for that. Not sure how many outdoor rides I'll be getting anytime soon unfortunately.

Old 12-24-2020, 10:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwisimon View Post
I'd contact Nao at Tomii His stems are top notch and he's a top bloke.

Oh and how good do well proportioned straight tubed bikes look? A+
Agreed. Nothing better.

Tomii or AR Cycles should easily be able to take care of me on the stem front, true.

Old 12-24-2020, 04:36 PM

Classico

Nice effin' road bike :-)

Re. stem: I knows the best is a custom and all that, and it wouldn't be out of place on a bike of this provenance, but TIG'ed Salsa stems crop up on eBay not infrequently, and they're as good as anything, especially if you keep it black. Find a matching Salsa post (which is one of the best designs), and Robert is your father's brother.