Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 02-27-2021, 11:36 AM

Shims for shoes - leg length differences

Back when volcanos and dinosaur farts were the major sources of global warming, and before I needed to shave, I was measured to have my left leg 3/8" shorter than my right. I've dealt with the hereditary orthopedic spine/leg issues my entire life, but they haven't been too troublesome. As I tell people when the issue arises - "It may slow me down, but it almost never stops me."

Anywho, here we are, a few decades later, and the dinosaurs are gone and my own farts are a bigger contributor to global warming, I'm finally thinking about shims for my left cycling shoes. Specifically, these shims from BikeFit.

Does anyone have any experience with them, or have other suggestions/recommendations? FWIW I use Shimano SPD-SL.

Thanks.

https://www.bikefit.com/c-3-leg-length-shims.aspx

Last edited by reuben; 02-27-2021 at 12:16 PM.
Old 02-27-2021, 11:43 AM

3/8” isn’t too huge

Ankle articulation will adapt to account for most discrepancies in this range. If you want to try shimming, shim 1/2 of the discrepancy and see how it feels. You can buy shims for all pedal systems to put between your shoe sole and your pedal. I’d also encourage you to consider custom insoles, and even custom shoes. But I confess Don Lamson is a close friend of mine and I’ve been on his shoes for close to 30 years.
Old 02-27-2021, 11:56 AM

Yes, I am using the Look version. They are very well made and have been faultless for me. I eventually ordered some as I've known for a long time that I was dropping my left hip to reach my left pedal. Bike fitters have always told me my (known) leg length discrepancy wasn't big enough to justify shims. However, I am now much, much comfier on the bike and I no longer drop my left hip, so bike fitters be damned.
Old 02-27-2021, 12:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reuben View Post
Back when volcanos and dinosaur farts were the major sources of global warming, and before I needed to shave, I was measured to have my left leg 3/8" shorter than my right. I've dealt with the hereditary orthopedic spine/leg issues my entire life, but they haven't been too troublesome. As I tell people when the issue arises - "It may slow me down, but it almost never stops me."

Anywho, here we are, a few decades later, and the dinosaurs are gone and my own farts are a bigger contributor to global warming, I'm finally thinking about shims for my left cycling shoes. Specifically, these shims from BikeFit.

Does anyone have any experience with them, or have other suggestions/recommendations? FWIW I use Shimano SPD-SL.

Thanks.

https://www.bikefit.com/c-3-leg-length-shims.aspx
Don't mess around with the bikefit shims. Get the Shimano SM-20 shims that will fit your spd-sl cleats a lot better without you having to trim anything.

They come in a kit with one 1mm shim and two 2mm shims along with longer cleat bolts. You should be able to find them pretty easily. You can get them on Amazon.

https://www.amazon.com/SHIMANO-SM-20.../dp/B078HY2XQT
Old 02-27-2021, 01:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BdaGhisallo View Post
Don't mess around with the bikefit shims. Get the Shimano SM-20 shims that will fit your spd-sl cleats a lot better without you having to trim anything.

They come in a kit with one 1mm shim and two 2mm shims along with longer cleat bolts. You should be able to find them pretty easily. You can get them on Amazon.

https://www.amazon.com/SHIMANO-SM-20.../dp/B078HY2XQT
I highly recommend getting the Shimano shims. They fit perfectly and slot into the cleats so nothing moves.
Old 02-27-2021, 01:27 PM

The BikeFit shims are probably fine, but I do like OEM for some things.

I see the SM-SH20 spacer kit at one of our sponsors, BikeTiresDirect, but they're out of stock with no ETA.

On the other hand, what isn't out of stock these days? And I'm pretty sure that I can survive until whenever they're back in stock. Well, OK, that could be forever under current conditions, but...