Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > Image Gallery > Custom Bikes

Old 12-21-2020, 10:53 PM

Richard Sachs, c.2017 - 63cm

It seems this one was born on the 4th of July, or somewhere around there - when is a frame born anyway? At conception - the point where the book is entered? Or when it's first put in the jig? The day it's shipped off to JB for paint, or when it returns? Mysteries of life. For mythic consistency, we'll say this one is a Cancer, like me - released to the world somewhere around Independence Day 2017. At least based on the date of this instagram glamour shot:

So, the frame was allegedly ordered in 2007, delivered a decade later (at the owner's behest), apparently ridden sparingly, and then offered up on that auction site where I found it and made it mine. The listing showed up pretty much right as I was finalizing details on purchasing Greg's Sachs (thread coming on that one just as soon as I glue its tubs..), so pulling the trigger on it was an exercise in irrational exuberance - which is nothing new for me, but still, buying two Sachs inside of a two week period does seem excessive - then again, when would I get the opportunity again?

As I was waiting for shipping and all that, I started gathering some parts that I figured I would use on it. I was thinking I'd go full modern on it to differentiate from the silver Chorus 10 planned for the older Sachs - and ordered up an R12 group, complete with a Stages PM and some Bora Ultra 50s. When it arrived though, I was antsy to just ride it, so I finished the build up quickly with the bars/stem and wheels I had at hand, as you may have seen in the workstand thread:

That was late last week. And at that point I wasn't sure how long it was going to take to get out on the road given the wintry mix we'd been having.

As it turned out, ride One was on Saturday. I woke up to icy roads in my part of town but heard it was dryer out east, so I headed out for what I thought would be a 40 miler or so shakedown ride. When I got to the turn at the far eastern boundary of the ride though, the sun got the better of me and I figured what the hell, I'll just do the northern loop - which I should have just enough time to get done before dark, landing me around 70-80mi.. Somewhere around mile 45 things got interesting - coming around the corner of a butte/hill, I found the SSW headwind that'd been blowing for days had picked up into the upper teens. Full power straight into that baby was 13 mph at best - the kind of wind that is scary to ride in when it flips to a crosswind and you have trucks going by..especially with a cinder-diminished shoulder given the time of year. It wasn't great. And then I made it worse by picking the diagonal road back that I figured might get me home before dark if I was lucky. Turns out that road has little to no shoulder, a horrible surface, and 60+ mph traffic. Yay! And once you're on it, there's no way out but through. I think I cursed everything in site over that 10-15mi stretch. But eventually I got through it, made the turn to home, got some shelter from the wind, and limped my way into the garage utterly cracked - 1.5 bottles, two bars, and two gels for 4.5-hrs of saddle time. Oi! Still, strip away the pain of the last third and it was a grand day out, and a lovely introduction to this amazing bike. I took no pictures. Sorry. Ended up being about 77mi I think, give or take.

Ride Two was today. The weather shifted and I had a window to get out on the Solstice for some happy miles under mostly sunny skies and low-50s temps. It was amazing. Another perfect day on a perfect bike. Still some wind, but manageable. And I got to push the limits of the 39x25 on this one to find that it is indeed perfectly adequate for these parts - we have short steeps but no really long 15%+ grades that become troublesome with that taller setup. The tradeoff win here is everywhere else you have perfect gears and a fully-usable cassette in both rings. Lovely. In between rides I swapped to Ritchey Neoclassic bars and a Deda stem. The stem diameter makes me happy when looking down at it and the bars gel better with my hands than the 3T Superleggera - but I would still like a custom stem with a -16* rise to get me to a perfectly level stem/TT/drops situation. I have to say these Vision KOM wheels are perfect here too - they're around 1350g, excellent braking, and nice wide profile that puts the Veloflex 28s with latex tubes in a perfect posture. Good times.

After two rides, I'm really happy with its performance and the aesthetics of the build, and can't really see changing a thing at this point (other than messing with the stem and spacers to get that just right and re-wrapping with some Silca tape). Not sure what I'll do with the R12 at this point, or the Boras - maybe come spring when the roads are cleaner and dryer, or if I'm traveling somewhere with different terrain I'll get inspired to throw that kit on it instead.

So there you have it. I know no-one will believe it but I'll still say it anyway - this one is a keeper - maybe for a year, maybe for ten, maybe forever, if I live that long. I still want a lugged Kirk Onesto and a DiNucci, and I'm going to get one of those in 2021. But unless I fall on hard times, I can't see a reason this one would leave the garage.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg PXL_20201221_211345784.jpg (151.5 KB, 679 views)
File Type: jpg PXL_20201221_210627502.jpg (152.2 KB, 672 views)

Last edited by Clean39T; 12-22-2020 at 12:39 PM.
Old 12-21-2020, 11:26 PM

I feel like you've skipped over at least one ride. Maybe previous iterations don't count?

Love the look of the Campy on there. Almost makes me want to roll Campy when the Mosaic gets rebuilt!
Old 12-21-2020, 11:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imaking20 View Post
I feel like you've skipped over at least one ride. Maybe previous iterations don't count?

Love the look of the Campy on there. Almost makes me want to roll Campy when the Mosaic gets rebuilt!
Different bikes.. The c.2007 Sachs will get its own thread in due time.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
Old 12-22-2020, 12:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clean39T View Post
Different bikes.. The c.2007 Sachs will get its own thread in due time.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
Hahahahahaha. Lolwut?!?! They're breeding?!?!

Last edited by Imaking20; 12-22-2020 at 12:05 AM.
Old 12-22-2020, 10:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imaking20 View Post
Hahahahahaha. Lolwut?!?! They're breeding?!?!
Slightly more difficult than breeding carbon tubulars but it is possible.
Old 12-21-2020, 11:44 PM

[QUOTE=Clean39T;2850611

And then I made it worse by picking the diagonal road back that I figured might get me home before dark if I was lucky. Turns out that road has little to no shoulder, a horrible surface, and 60+ mph traffic. Yay! And once you're on it, there's no way out but through.
[/QUOTE]

Sounds like Powell Butte Road / Highway? Yeah it's not the best road to be on for sure.

Last edited by Beldar77; 12-21-2020 at 11:47 PM.
Old 12-22-2020, 10:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beldar77 View Post
Sounds like Powell Butte Road / Highway? Yeah it's not the best road to be on for sure.
Exactly. Especially on a pre-holiday Saturday afternoon...
Old 12-22-2020, 06:51 AM

I'm excited for you. I look forward to getting to throw a leg over this one when I come up that way.
Old 12-22-2020, 07:12 AM

Something like this style of stem might suit?

Old 12-22-2020, 10:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by macaroon View Post
Something like this style of stem might suit?

I'm trying one of those on the silver build but they are for 1.125" steerers, so it probably won't look quite right. A custom steel stem is really the only answer.
Old 12-22-2020, 10:52 AM

Glad you're digging NeoClassics - they really are a great shape.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clean39T View Post
I'm trying one of those on the silver build but they are for 1.125" steerers, so it probably won't look quite right. A custom steel stem is really the only answer.
not to mention all of the added stack height. not really a good match for this application.
Old 12-22-2020, 11:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtbadge View Post
not to mention all of the added stack height. not really a good match for this application.
The -17* compensates to an extent - but yeah, not a great fit.
Old 12-22-2020, 11:57 AM

trying to wrap my head around a ten year wait for an order

why??
Old 12-22-2020, 12:18 PM
what's a little rust?

Cheers to getting caught up in a nice ride and coming home late, and bonked. Once upon a time my wife thought I might get smarter as I got older ...

I love the look of your build. My left knee wouldn't like 39/25.
Old 12-22-2020, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 72gmc View Post
Cheers to getting caught up in a nice ride and coming home late, and bonked. Once upon a time my wife thought I might get smarter as I got older ...

I love the look of your build. My left knee wouldn't like 39/25.
Ha ha, mine saw the 100-yd stare and bloodshot eyes (had to ride the last hour or so with no glasses, too dark..) and took pity on me. The only scolding I got was "why didn't you call me to come pick you up?" Duly noted.

There are certainly plenty of rides in the PNW where the 39/25 would be a no-go, but for the vast majority on this side of the mountains, it works. I do have a 12/29 cassette that can go on if/when needed. Or the R12 group I think I did 11/32 and 36/52 - call that travel gears for the mountain west.