Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > Rides, Events, Gatherings and Charity events

Old 05-13-2021, 12:22 PM
Post Mod-ern

It will be nice chill casual . . .

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryScientist View Post
ah, damn. i was hoping for a nice chill, casual ride, but it looks like we'll have our hands full in the first dozen miles. let's see how it goes!
. . . if you are not treating it like a race. I can't speak for the full course, but there are sections where you WILL have to hike-a-bike in that first 12 miles. I'm intending to do the 50, but I will be starting right at 8am because I need to get photos of people coming toward me as I ride the course, not just people's butts.

When you come down from the first peak on Tate Hill, you will hit a gravel road. That's Murray Hollow Rd., and if you really want to skip the second peak hike-a-bike on Tate Hill you can go left on Murray Hollow, coast down to 313, hang a right and ride back east to take a left turn onto Chunks Brook. Just be aware you will miss the first aid station at the foot of Tate Hill.

I've done Chunks Brook, North Tate Hill, and Rupert Roads before, and they were not in awful shape last fall. If you check the 50 mile Route profile, you'll see that most of the climbing is in the first half of the course. But be ready for a (marked as) 12.7% pitch where Chunks Brook turns into Tate Hill. Last fall that was un-rideable, as were small parts of the descent on Tate Hill. But they were working on it at the time. The pic below is the climb on Chunks Brooks. Gravel was not too bad, but the grade + the gravel made us walk for a bit.

At mile 37.5 on the 50 mile course you hit route 22 only a few feet from the Rt. 29 intersection. If you're tapped out you an always just head straight south on Rt. 22 and it's all paved highway with reasonable shoulder all the way back to Cambridge. I may do that, since by that time most if not all riders will have already passed me. Here's a map.

As for parking, what EDS said. It's not far at all on a bike from the central schools parking lot. Just do as they suggest–be nice to locals and don't block any driveways.

BBD
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Chunks Brook_1050505_2.jpg (152.6 KB, 93 views)
A thing of beauty is a joy forever--Keats
Old 05-13-2021, 09:14 PM
aka RAEKWON

so they just sent out another email, there is another parking lot, municipal lot. I google mapped it and that has like 20 spots lol. So this is going to be interested. Are we really ok parking at that school lot? That looks at least to have 50 or so spots.

Im gonna try to get there a little earlier, if yall want to start earlier do let me know haha

Last edited by R3awak3n; 05-13-2021 at 09:22 PM.
Old 05-13-2021, 10:47 PM
Post Mod-ern

I am planning to be there VERY early . . .

. . . but I have some professional obligations that you guys don't have.

Make sure you stop by the Bike Adirondacks booth at Argyle Brewing after the ride. Owner Doug Haney and I are co-promoting a really neat gravel event to be held late in September, and he will have information on it at his booth.

BBD
Old 05-16-2021, 09:19 AM

Nice event.
I think there are two areas they need to address if they are going to keep having it:
1. The food at the rest stops was totally inadequate. This may have had to do with Covid and whatever guidelines they had to follow to get the permit to hold the event.
Has to be better next year.
2. Eliminate the long boring state road pavement section at the end.
Old 05-16-2021, 09:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CNY rider View Post
Nice event.
I think there are two areas they need to address if they are going to keep having it:
1. The food at the rest stops was totally inadequate. This may have had to do with Covid and whatever guidelines they had to follow to get the permit to hold the event.
Has to be better next year.
2. Eliminate the long boring state road pavement section at the end.

I could deal with the last section being on the road, but the food situation could have been improved both at the aid stations and the end of the ride.

Would have been nice to have something other than deep fried food at the end of the ride as an option! I can’t eat deep fried food after a difficult ride!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 05-16-2021, 01:19 PM
Post Mod-ern

The Paceline contingent . . .

. . . from left to right: CNYrider, HilltopperNY, Angry Scientist, R3awak3n, and BumbleBeeDave.

BBD
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P1020930_Great North Gravel_051521_1000.jpg (158.4 KB, 119 views)
Old 05-16-2021, 06:14 PM
aka RAEKWON

and dismount we did ahah

was a great day out there, perfect conditions (minus my personal condition but did finish the ride so yay).

This was a really great ride. Really well organized, the roads were amazing. I will be a repeat customer next year for sure.
Old 05-16-2021, 07:17 PM
Administrator

Phenomenal weekend!

The ride was challenging and fun. I agree with the comments about the food. The rest stops were disappointing.

That said, i thought the level of SAG support was excellent. Multiple sightings of the moto and sag wagons to aid if needed.

I didnt take one damned photo on the ride, but allow me to share two good ones that show the beauty of upstate NY at this time of the year. We had an airbnb and the family thoroughly enjoyed the weekend. beautiful country without any doubt.

Old 05-16-2021, 08:38 PM
aka RAEKWON

I agree 100%, I wish there was more "real food" or some interesting stuff like the whiskey sweedish fish from farmers daughters or the peaches or pickle juice from D2R2 or as you mentioned, at least pb&j sandwiches or something but yeah maybe covid had something to do with it.

And yeah the sag support was crazy good, the best I have ever seen by far. Adam and I stoped a couple of times to take a lil break and within a few minutes there was someone on a moto asking if we doing ok, pretty amazing.
Old 05-16-2021, 08:57 PM

Excellent ride and the support team was great! It was also nice to see everybody enjoying themselves on a beautiful day!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 05-17-2021, 01:38 PM

Sorry I missed it, should have made the drive up. Been under some pressure to get the lawnscaping under control before I start playing around on the bike to much. As if there were such as thing as riding too much...
Old 05-17-2021, 07:06 PM
Administrator

here's what wahoo had to say about it.

that last damned climb was a rough one!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg climb.JPG (44.3 KB, 51 views)
Old 05-17-2021, 09:31 PM

Sheesh, look's like a Dirtphalt profile!! CNYRider, did you lay out the course??
Old 05-18-2021, 06:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by A1A View Post
Sheesh, look's like a Dirtphalt profile!! CNYRider, did you lay out the course??
I’m not telling but mark your calendar for the first weekend in October.
Hint hint.
Old 05-18-2021, 08:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CNY rider View Post
I’m not telling but mark your calendar for the first weekend in October.
Hint hint.
Best hint hint I've heard in months!!!