Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 01-25-2024, 11:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkbrwn View Post
Higher temp equals higher extraction which will result in higher caffeine content, so perhaps you're very caffeine sensitive? Wonder what would happen if you brewed a light roast decaf at 98c?
Who knows. I have actually been genetically tested for caffeine metabolism and came back as having the "Hyper Metabolizer" enzyme but I think that actually makes me get a big rush and then lose the effect of the caffeine faster than others. But who knows cause I only know how I feel. (Just got a free panel for a whole bunch of genetic stuff and took it out of curiosity)

I can't really remember but I do think decaf is less upsetting of my stomach but hard to say. I think you can still have a really acidic decaf.

I don't have decaf very often. Though I will say George Howell's decaf from Colombia is pretty dang good:

https://georgehowellcoffee.com/colle...jardin-dec-001
Old 01-28-2024, 11:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by benb View Post

I can't really remember but I do think decaf is less upsetting of my stomach but hard to say. I think you can still have a really acidic decaf.

I don't have decaf very often. Though I will say George Howell's decaf from Colombia is pretty dang good:

https://georgehowellcoffee.com/colle...jardin-dec-001
I’m always on the hunt for good decaf to try out. My go-to is Black and Whites year round Columbia decaf, but this is the second time I’ve seen someone mention George Howells as being particularly good, so I’ll have to try it out. Just need to decide if I want to get the pour over or the espresso roast… I usually go for lighter roasts regardless of brew method.

Since the last time I posted here, I’ve upgraded from a flair to a lelit mara, which was a birthday gift from my fiancée. It’s made toying with those light roasts a blast.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 02-22-2024, 05:47 PM

Just reordered from www.farmhousecoffeeroasters.com

Small roaster, family company based in Maine. Got an interesting note with my second order, handwritten.

It included an 8% off code good through Feb 28. If you order, use #8years. I understand that it reflects their eight years in business...

I reordered a couple of Vienna roasts.

Let me know what you think!
Hot Tubes
LiteSpeed
SpeshFatboy
Old 02-22-2024, 06:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by C40_guy View Post
Just reordered from www.farmhousecoffeeroasters.com

Small roaster, family company based in Maine. Got an interesting note with my second order, handwritten.

It included an 8% off code good through Feb 28. If you order, use #8years. I understand that it reflects their eight years in business...

I reordered a couple of Vienna roasts.

Let me know what you think!
This one has been next on my list, since you last suggested them, primarily because they offer 8 decafs one of which is a Black & Tan (my fav). I'm currently on my last bag of decaf Kona ($$$) from a trip to the Big Island in Jan and hoping it hasn't ruined me for everything else. Great (or even good for that matter) decafs have been impossible to come by locally so mail order it's been for years.

I do highly recommend Sleepy Monk in Cannon Beach, OR.
Old 02-23-2024, 05:15 AM

Oh, and I've been playing around with bean quantity. Each morning I make a single pourover with 1 3/4 cup of water, and I've been using two scoops of beans. I've started to use maybe a quarter scoop more and the coffee is quite different, mostly richer.

Hmmm...
Hot Tubes
LiteSpeed
SpeshFatboy
Old 02-23-2024, 10:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by C40_guy View Post
Oh, and I've been playing around with bean quantity. Each morning I make a single pourover with 1 3/4 cup of water, and I've been using two scoops of beans. I've started to use maybe a quarter scoop more and the coffee is quite different, mostly richer.

Hmmm...
I going to try Hario Switch V60 Immersion dripper, according to a coffee forum I was on they say that it produces a stronger cup of coffee than just a pour-over by itself, but the Switch can switch to just a pour-over if you want, but already having a pour-over I just want the immersion ability. If all I wanted was a pour-over by itself today I would probably get the OXO Good Grips, I heard that it saturates the coffee grounds more evenly and you don't have to sit there dribbling water over the grounds, sort of like an immersion maker but the water doesn't sit in the coffee bed any longer than it takes to pass through the bed, whereas the immersion makers you let the coffee steep for couple of minutes then let it pass through the bed. The coffee forum said it makes coffee like a French Press but polishes it more like a pour-over, so it's like getting the best of both worlds.

But I'm not a coffee expert, I just like stronger-tasting coffee like my Bialetti Brikka Moka pot makes. French Press isn't bad, I do that when I want a change-up. I didn't really care for the AeroPress even though millions of people rave about it, guess that's why I'm not a coffee expert because I don't think much of the AeroPress, don't get me wrong, it makes coffee ok, just not the way I like it. Then for a real change up I also make Turkish coffee.

Like the AeroPress the pour-over I have makes ok coffee, not really up to the stronger flavor that I like.

As soon as I order it and try out the Hario Switch I'll let you all know what my thoughts are.

There is another immersion brewer called the Clever, but it's pretty cheaply made, but it has good reviews, at one time the Clever was a lot cheaper than the Hario, but now on Amazon the Hario is cheaper?! And the Hario is made of better materials.

Hario does make a dripper accessory you can place on top of certain Hario pour-overs and do the same thing that the OXO Good Grips does, but the OXO is a lot less expensive than buying a V60 plus the dripper accessory.
Old 03-01-2024, 07:42 AM
SageOfMilwaukee

Mediocre coffee out of a rare mug
TGIF!
Old 03-01-2024, 07:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kppolich View Post
TGIF!
Would you say it makes your coffee taste smoother?
Old 03-01-2024, 07:52 AM
SageOfMilwaukee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talrand View Post
Would you say it makes your coffee taste smoother?
Yes, really gives me that morning Buzzzzz I need.
Old 03-01-2024, 08:13 AM

After discussing The Hario Switch, OXO Good Grips, and the Clever Dripper on a coffee forum I ordered The Hario Switch because everyone on that forum said it would produce a stronger cup of coffee, which is what I wanted. They also said that the OXO Good Grips would make the weakest coffee and the Clever is in between.

Here's my early impression after using it for 2 days, of course, I didn't buy the others so this is not a comparison, but compared to just my old pour-over...it's much better!

I'm not one of those who can explain about all the tastes it brings out, I don't how to explain that sort of stuff you see experts doing on YouTube, all I can tell you is that it makes a stronger, more favorable, cup of coffee than my old pour over which was a V60! The Switch uses a glass version of the V60 that I have.

I have various methods of making coffee, and I think this Switch immersion way of making coffee is superior to the French Press, even though the concept is similar in that they both use an immersion process but the French Press lacks the pour-over ability; and it is also superior to the AeroPress that I also have. It is not superior to my Bialetti Brikka Moka pot, the moka pot makes the coffee much stronger in taste, however, the Switch makes a smoother cup of coffee. Two different taste profiles which I like both.

The only thing odd about the Switch is that there is a small ball bearing inside the dripper that when you open and close the lever the ball will either seal by gravity and weight of the ball and keep the coffee from going into the cup or when open the coffee flows through, well that ball is loose no matter what position it's in, and it, and did, come right out of the top of the V60 which caught me by surprise. Now that I'm aware of that ball being able to come out I'm now careful with it, but it is nonetheless odd. The other odd thing is that the instructions that came with the Switch say to use 20 grams of coffee...20 grams is like 8 beans! When I read that, I had to read it twice, needless to say, I didn't follow that part of the instructions, I used a scoop that I have that came with the French Press and put in 1 1/2 scoops instead of what the French Press said to use, but I always used 1 1/2 in it.

I'll be playing around with it some more, but I am pleasantly surprised by the quality and taste of the coffee that it is making. I so far just followed the directions in the little paper that came with it, there are other methods used on the internet. I took a chance buying it hoping that I would like it, and that gamble paid off.

So the AeroPress and the French Press are going to be put away, they simply can't compete against this Switch immersion coffee maker.

This is obviously an opinion by a non-expert, someone else might like the French Press and or the AeroPress better maybe because they don't like a stronger brew which is why most Americans don't like moka pot coffee, so take what I said for a grain of salt.
Old 03-01-2024, 08:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kppolich View Post
TGIF!
I hope the crack in the handle isn't an omen concerning Chris King products!
Old 03-01-2024, 08:53 AM
SageOfMilwaukee

Quote:
Originally Posted by froze View Post
I hope the crack in the handle isn't an omen concerning Chris King products!
Its superficial and has been repaired with Kintsugi!
Call it patina
Old 03-01-2024, 09:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by froze View Post
After discussing The Hario Switch, OXO Good Grips, and the Clever Dripper on a coffee forum I ordered The Hario Switch because everyone on that forum said it would produce a stronger cup of coffee, which is what I wanted.
I'm wondering...is the difference the shape of the filter holder, the time it takes for water to drain through (based on the size of the openings) or the ability to hold the water longer?

I have been using a Bonavita BV4000ID Porcelain Immersion Coffee Dripper for the past ten years. It is similar to the Switch in that you can control the flow, although lately I just leave it fully open. It makes much better coffee than a smaller filter holder I use when traveling.

Looks like it's no longer in production. I better take good care of it!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Bonavita.jpg (23.4 KB, 57 views)
Hot Tubes
LiteSpeed
SpeshFatboy
Old 03-01-2024, 09:15 AM

I'm curious on the difference between regular Hario V60 and the Switch version being confounded by the grinder type and the selected grind size.

If you want longer contact time with a V60 you need a pretty fine grind.

If you don't have a grinder that gets down into Espresso range then the Switch would be necessary to keep the brew time up around where it needs to be.

I have an electric grinder that is of mediocre quality, it can't get down to espresso range, and I have a nicer hand grinder that does really nicely for espresso. On the electric grinder with some coffees I am getting pretty close to the fine end of it's range to get a 3 minute brew time. On the hand grinder I could probably clog the V60 and make it take 10 minutes to drain.

Froze I am curious how long you are brewing for with the switch.
Old 03-01-2024, 09:17 AM

Anyone try the Kruve brand cups? Yes a little pricey, but so are Pinarellos....

I think they look pretty cool, but not sure how'd I'd like using a 'mug' without a handle...

https://idrinkcoffee.com/products/kr...lus-300ml-10oz

Tags
coffee, coffee espresso