Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 12-21-2019, 11:58 AM
slower than you

I was in Manhattan last week for the first time in a while, which is not good because I live an hour away, but, whatever. Anyway, I was kind of shocked at the new phenomenon of e-bikes on the streets, which was pointed out to me by a friend who lives there full time as a safety alarm. Walking in the city, of course, has always been filled with safety hazards that you immediately have to switch on the radar for, because there is no need for that out in the burbs where people barely walk. Bikes have been a big hazard, of course, for years and years, especially delivery people. Wrong way travel on one way streets, i think, should be punishable by tortuous death, if they are hammering. But now we have two new factors that have increased the danger significantly: the popularity of food delivery services and e-bikes. Now you have a bunch of low paid immigrants (not a racist slur, just fact. Entry level work, no white people do it) hammering around the city on fast, heavy bikes with one objective: get the job done fast so they can get another one going, because, if it's like cab driving or messenger work, you are paid by the gig. And, on top of that, they are in the bike lanes! Which, are a footstep away from the sidewalk. Pay attention, people, it's beyond dangerous out there if you're traveling to Manhattan, and, even though it's a one way street, which, of course, most NYC streets are, look both ways!

Also, I saw an e-bike go by hauling a trailer with, like, a dozen large tupperware like containers on it. In the bike lane! Smart, if you have a business in NYC and need to get stuff from A to B, but, man, unintended consequences. The bike lane planners may have envisioned all these happy commuters going to and fro to work and play, but, it ain't working out that way.

They should at least pass a law requiring lights on bikes on the city. But, they probably won't. The mayor only wants another job, it seems.
Old 12-21-2019, 11:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikinchris View Post
They are behind. Orbea had one beginning last year.
Orbea's offering uses a motor built into the rear hub. This one uses the Fazua drive system. Fazua was held up for a year awaiting US government approval and I read they had to completely redesign the battery in order to gain that approval.

Another highly significant difference for any potential customers is that you've got a good chance of finding one of these near you for a test ride, whereas the chance of ever seeing one of those Orbeas, much less finding one for a test ride, has been close to zero (with, if I recall correctly, only two places in the country where you could find a test ride).
Old 12-21-2019, 12:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by charliedid View Post
As it stands, I loath the day I am on a MUP and some dude creams a kid while driving his 35mph "e-bike" that is throttle equipped.

That is not this bike. That is the farthest thing from this bike.

Last edited by palincss; 12-21-2019 at 12:04 PM.
Old 12-21-2019, 12:08 PM

Talking somebody

left the e out of loathe
Old 12-21-2019, 12:36 PM

another thing to argue about - battery in a bottle normal bikes

https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/capri-e-bikes#/

3 kinds of ebikes in my club; Trek upright, Giant drop bar, and Orbea. The folks who have Giants now want Orbeas. Orbea about 2/3 the weight or less.

Mikes Bikes in the Bay Area has the Orbea brand. In short supply but they keep a few for testing.

Last edited by eddief; 12-21-2019 at 12:42 PM.
Old 12-21-2019, 02:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by palincss View Post
That is not this bike. That is the farthest thing from this bike.

Two separate points I was making. I know exactly what bike it is and how it’s different.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by charliedid; 12-21-2019 at 07:58 PM.
Old 12-21-2019, 03:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drmojo View Post
left the e out of loathe
I simply don’t get these types of comments. Closed minded and blindingly elitist. How can a pedal assist bicycle ever be considered a bad thing? My good friend, who has been passionately involved in all levels of the sport for 50 plus years is now 82 and recovering from a hip replacement. He just ordered an E-Bike which will allow him to continue in the sport he loves.

I just don’t get the attitude. I normally do not make it these kinds of comments but if I’m reading this post correctly, there’s no other justification for it other than a very closed mind and should be called out.

We need more people out of cars and on bikes. E bikes will play a pivotal role in getting more people on bikes.

If I misread the post, I apologize
Old 12-21-2019, 03:28 PM
slower than you

It's my experience that a lot of people use road biking to confirm their masculinity, if they ride fast. Absurd at it's face, but, haters usually feel threatened.
Old 12-22-2019, 12:42 AM

yes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clancy View Post
I simply don’t get these types of comments. Closed minded and blindingly elitist. How can a pedal assist bicycle ever be considered a bad thing? My good friend, who has been passionately involved in all levels of the sport for 50 plus years is now 82 and recovering from a hip replacement. He just ordered an E-Bike which will allow him to continue in the sport he loves.

I just don’t get the attitude. I normally do not make it these kinds of comments but if I’m reading this post correctly, there’s no other justification for it other than a very closed mind and should be called out.

We need more people out of cars and on bikes. E bikes will play a pivotal role in getting more people on bikes.

If I misread the post, I apologize
I was snarky about the word loath/loathe
more bikes are a good thing
Old 12-22-2019, 04:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmrt View Post
unfortunately, this is not going to happen imo.
it is going to be a "which bike has the biggest wattage battery" war. and consumers will buy the one with the most watts. money will speak and even more watts will come.

that is unless the city regulates watts. and that is also not going to happen.

btw, here in boulder, on our multi use paths, i have seen a lot of throttle equipped "bikes" zooming around.
Yes, and unfortunately I don't disagree.

I might need to get involved and throw my 2 cents around for what it might be worth. You still can't legislate responsibility very easily here :-)
Old 12-22-2019, 05:59 AM

>>hammering around the city on fast, heavy bikes with one objective: get the job done fast so they can get another one going, because, if it's like cab driving or messenger work, you are paid by the gig. And, on top of that, they are in the bike lanes!

This is a broader problem worthy of discussion delivery services - this is getting insane. People getting 5.00 items personally delivered and total objective is how many to do in hour. The cars, bikes, whatever are dangerous.
Old 02-03-2022, 05:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlashUNC View Post
Sure, if they want to get in the moped business I guess.
No, the Fazua motor used in the Trek Domane+ LT is nothing like a moped.
Old 02-03-2022, 05:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHAero View Post
Brilliant to have the works be removable too.
What I appreciate is the European take on this, which limits wattage and max speed under power to ranges within the human-powered performance envelope. What I don't want is a 30 mph rocketship careering around the bike paths (almost got taken out two seasons ago on the path around the state forest here by a huge guy going way too fast on a corner on a rental ebike). I can a place for an even lower watt assistance, say 125W, half of what this Trek has. Lighter yet, and more range on the same battery.
The Fazua drive system, which is used in the Domane+ LT is a Class 1 system. In the US it maxes out at 20 mph. In Europe it's something like 15.5 or 16.5 mph. Class 1 bikes are allowed on the bike paths. The other Domane+ and the Specialized Creo) are Class 3 bikes and max out at 28 mph. They're not allowed on bike paths. Not that there's any enforcement.
Old 02-03-2022, 05:16 PM

https://fazua.com/en/support/help-ce...se-customizer/

Fun to see how you can tweak system.
Old 02-03-2022, 05:27 PM
Forward the Foundation

You can in the best NASCAR fashion, cheat the speed the controls
on many brand name ebike systems.

https://www.badassebikes.com/