Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 12-20-2019, 07:58 AM
ZhugeLiang

I got four bikes that have this sticker or decal on the left chainstay...yup, you can call me a fan.

For some reason that I can't explain, I like to think of Tom Kellogg and Andy Pruitt on the same page, both of whom I would very much like to invite to dinner.
Old 12-20-2019, 07:59 AM

Maybe Ora Engineering in Taiwan.
Old 12-20-2019, 08:26 AM

Hmmm. Can Tom really save Ritte? IMO, Ritte was just a flash-in-the-pan brand. It was built on marketing versus any real qualities. It's had its day. Like many here, I hold Mr. Kellogg in very high regard (I have a late 90s Merlin with his stamp on it and have had other Kellogg-influenced Merlins). He is THE guy that I would have (and should have) gone to for a custom frame prior to his retirement.

However, MOST of the cycling world doesn't know who Tom is and the importance of his influence on bike design. I just don't think that this is going to move the needle at all for Ritte from where it currently sits. There are WAY too many brands in the market now that have copied what Ritte originally did and have built names that are currently highly visible such as All City, BMC, Fairdale, etc. Can Ritte really put a dent in that at this point? Maybe another aggressive, irreverent marketing campaign?

I'd personally love to see Tom work with someone like Mike at Black Mountain to help build that brand further.

Again, just my opinion!

Texbike
Old 12-20-2019, 08:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ibis View Post
I know someone who used to race for them...said the bikes felt terrible. That was back in 2012 though so take that with a grain of salt.
I owned a Vlaanderen for a few years and that wasn't my experience. it was a rocket ship, in fact, and a pretty cozy ride; as stiff carbon bikes go, at least. the Vlaanderen was allegedly not one of the Pedalforce bikes, where they just grab an open mold frame and paint it pretty. they worked with the carbon manufacturer to build the mold. or so they said.

they're owned by someone different these days (not Spencer, who started it), and it's cool to see them taking things in a new-but-similar direction. still focused on fun and not taking things too seriously. I'm sure some will look at this and say "$2250 for Taiwan made steel? no thanks!" but personally I'd rather pay $2250 for a specialized steel frame designed by Tom Kellogg than a carbon frame.
Old 12-20-2019, 09:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by avalonracing View Post
All I have to say is that I've had some nice bikes but the Merlin Works CR 3/2.5 (size large) was the best riding bike I have ever ridden.

The reason I mentioned size large is that Tom spec'd the large and XL bikes with a bigger Ti downtube.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clean39T View Post
Same here. Works 6/4 was impeccable.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Quote:
Originally Posted by ergott View Post
I would give anything with Tom's name on it the benefit of the doubt. He always has pride in his name associated with a bike and is a killer bike handler himself. Makes super coffee too!

Hope this works out well for Ritte, I'm sure they'll have many happy riders with these.

Quote:
Originally Posted by soulspinner View Post
Have to agree.

Quote:
Originally Posted by simonov View Post
Totally. TK is the real deal, a great guy, a great bike rider, and a master designer. If he's involved, these will be good.
I’m in this camp. I too have ridden the old Merlins, as well as a Ross that TK had some say in building, plus 2 Spectrums, ALL were VERY well thought out and rode very well indeed. To think Tom would do anything different now is unimaginable, you might as well tell me the sun will rise in the west. Just not happening. I mean think about it. TK has a lifetime of good will built up, why would you risk it?

My money says they are great bikes, as long as he is evolved!
Old 12-20-2019, 09:28 AM

Glad to see Tom still getting paid for work in the biz even if he's not building his own stuff anymore.

Maybe we get more fun Ritte Youtube videos? Those were fun in a 2012 kinda way.
Old 12-20-2019, 09:52 AM
send me the twizzlers yo

Quote:
Originally Posted by jr59 View Post

My money says they are great bikes, as long as he is evolved!
The smart money suggests TK is evolved.

ps

arrange disorder

Old 12-20-2019, 11:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by e-RICHIE View Post
The smart money suggests TK is evolved.

ps

arrange disorder

Well played Richard.

I’ll leave it like that ant take the grief.
Old 12-20-2019, 12:06 PM
Vendor

As I recall, Ritte 1.0 had some very snazzy marketing and cool paint schemes on open-mold frames. Ritte 2.0 doesn't seem to have hit with the same splash, but I'd rather get a Ritte 2.0 than 1.0.
Old 12-20-2019, 12:30 PM
ZhugeLiang

Old 12-20-2019, 02:18 PM

I mean, the takeaway for me is that I feel like I should just hire TK to consult on a fit and geometry and then hire Russ Denny to build the bike.
Old 12-20-2019, 05:26 PM

It's great that everyone has fond memories of their old Merlins and Spectrums...but does anyone have a steel frame from TK? Feedback?
Old 12-20-2019, 06:17 PM
formerly Landshark_98

I do. Just bought one. I also have a Sachs (not made for me but coulda been); have had two made to measure Kirk's (built in 2007), a Peg Marcelo, a Motorola team MX leader (F. Andreu's spring classics bike in '94). I also have a Spectrum Super ti disc bike built on 2018 and I owned both Spectrums that were built for JR59.

I don't have enough miles on it to have an exhaustive opinion, but from a ride perspective, based on a handful of shortish rides, it's certainly in the same league as my others. It has a wonderful jump when you get out of the saddle, it easily passed my no hands down hill at 35+ mph test, it fits perfect, as close to that "disappears beneath you" sensation that folks speak of that I've experienced, and I know who made it and just how much work was put into it. This is not to take away at all from any of the other wonderful hand built bikes I have been lucky enough to have; just sayin' this is a good one. I I left everything about the design up to Tom based on my fit numbers from my ti bike and a description of what I was after. I trust that TK can design stock steel frames.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk
Old 12-20-2019, 09:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ibis View Post
It's great that everyone has fond memories of their old Merlins and Spectrums...but does anyone have a steel frame from TK? Feedback?
Yeah. Tom and Jeff built this "all road" for me about 5 years ago. Completely dialed no-hands stability on gravel and still feels like a lively "stage race" bike (whatever that is, but it sounds cool right?) on pavement. Designed for 28-35c tires with fenders, fits up to 38s if they're slicks. You won't get the custom magic that comes with a half day fitting and interview session with Tom, but I would be very confident that the Ritte bikes will handle as well as any non-custom steel bike on the market, Tom's design expertise is unparalleled.

https://forums.thepaceline.net/attac...1&d=1567667240
Old 12-21-2019, 10:20 AM

For the price these better be REAL nice bikes.