Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 12-13-2019, 10:02 AM

Yokozuna ultimo disc brake calipers

Looking for user feedback. I'm thinking of replacing the BB7's on our travel tandem with Ultimo calipers.
Old 12-13-2019, 11:06 AM

I use the Juintechs after a decade of Avids and they’re better. I think the yokos are another step up in performance.
Old 12-13-2019, 11:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by d_douglas View Post
I use the Juintechs after a decade of Avids and they’re better. I think the yokos are another step up in performance.
User here. Have them on my Ritchey Breakaway. They definitely have better feel than the BB7s on my tandem, though with the hydro factor, they'll never be as easy to maintain.

And since the BB7s are on the tandem, could the diff in feel be because of longer cable travel? Dunno.
Old 12-13-2019, 05:36 PM

Yokozuna Brakes

Soma is having a 20% off sale on all their Japanese parts including the Yokozuna disc brakes. I'm not sure if it is the best deal out there, but I thought I'd mention it if you're looking.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zap View Post
Looking for user feedback. I'm thinking of replacing the BB7's on our travel tandem with Ultimo calipers.
Old 12-13-2019, 05:52 PM
Old, Fat & Slow

Quote:
Originally Posted by d_douglas View Post
I set up my buddy's Boone with the Juin Tech brakes. Easy to set up, seem to be good stopping power. Not quite fully hydro, but better than pure mechanical

M
Old 12-13-2019, 06:01 PM

Are the Yokozuna actually a different product than the Juin Tech? They look awfully similar.
Old 12-13-2019, 06:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHAero View Post
Are the Yokozuna actually a different product than the Juin Tech? They look awfully similar.
I believe and have read the Yokos are made by Juin Tech (or whomever makes them for Juin Tech) and are indeed identical. I run the Motokos and bought them because they came with Yokozuna cables (which I needed) and got the everyday 15% off at Universal, ended up cheaper than the Juin route (and didn't need the color).
Old 12-14-2019, 12:42 AM

Same product, different silkscreen. The Yokozuna’s ship with rotors and housing, and the housing is great. Cut it with a Dremel- it’s tough stuff.

I’m running the 2 piston on my road & gravel bikes, and the 4-piston on my fatbike. The brakes are great: easy setup, very good performance, and both use easy-to-find Shimano pads.
Old 12-14-2019, 08:50 AM

What are the differences between the 2 and 4 piston calipers - why would one choose one over the other?
Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hakkalugi View Post
Same product, different silkscreen. The Yokozuna’s ship with rotors and housing, and the housing is great. Cut it with a Dremel- it’s tough stuff.

I’m running the 2 piston on my road & gravel bikes, and the 4-piston on my fatbike. The brakes are great: easy setup, very good performance, and both use easy-to-find Shimano pads.
Old 12-14-2019, 10:37 AM

In the automotive world, more pistons in calipers = more braking power. Porsche's and MB AMG's have as many as 8 pistons/caliper.

In the cycling world, I recall seeing some dh specific calipers with 6 pistons.

Our disc equipped tandem needs better braking performance. So I'm hoping for improvements with hybrid calipers and compressionless cables. Plus easier setup with Campy Record ergo levers would be really nice.
Old 12-14-2019, 02:02 PM

Quote:
In the automotive world, more pistons in calipers = more braking power. Porsche's and MB AMG's have as many as 8 pistons/caliper.

In the cycling world, I recall seeing some dh specific calipers with 6 pistons.

Our disc equipped tandem needs better braking performance. So I'm hoping for improvements with hybrid calipers and compressionless cables. Plus easier setup with Campy Record ergo levers would be really nice.
Me too. The Spyres we have are mostly adequate but in the mountains something better would be nice. From reports the TRP cable-hydraulic seemed only very marginally better. But if these are mo' better then maybe worth considering.
Old 12-14-2019, 08:38 PM

Quote:
Do it.

I'm using the Juin Tech R1s on a tandem, with Chorus 11 ergos. They are very good.
For comparison, I have BB7s on another tandem, and XT hydros on a flatbar tandem. I've used TRP HyRd on a single, and test ridden Spyres and some others. I like the Juin Techs better than the BB7s, and have been seriously thinking about trying out the 4 piston Ultimos (same as Juin Tech GP) -- just because 4 is better than 2 pistons I guess, since I'm pretty happy with the braking from the R1/Mokoto version.
The XT brakes are the most powerful (using a Jagwire long hose for the rear, stock Shimano for the front), but for a road setup with Campy I think the JuinTech/Yokozuna brakes are the nicest. They are also lighter than either the BB7s or the HyRd brakes, but of course the extra ounce on a tandem would be hard to notice.

The only other brake I'd be tempted to try (other than the GP/Ultimo) would be to get Campy H11 ergos and the Hope RX4 calipers for them (because the tandem has postmount instead of flatmount discs), but that would be a much more expensive experiment.

Last edited by binouye; 12-14-2019 at 08:41 PM.
Old 12-14-2019, 08:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHAero View Post
What are the differences between the 2 and 4 piston calipers - why would one choose one over the other?
Thanks
The 4 piston version is also a little bit lighter, which may not be relevant on a tandem.
Old 12-15-2019, 08:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bici-Sonora View Post
Soma is having a 20% off sale on all their Japanese parts including the Yokozuna disc brakes. I'm not sure if it is the best deal out there, but I thought I'd mention it if you're looking.
Thanks. But appears the Ultimo's are not available.
Old 12-15-2019, 09:04 AM

I use the Juin Tech 2 piston calipers with Campagnolo levers. They're pretty good, certainly better than TRP Spyres. I use the stock pads, but I imagine Shimano aftermarket pads would increase performance.

As with any disc brakes, setup and bedding them in properly is key to good performance.

I bought them due to the price and low weight. But, if I was to be buying brakes for a tandem, where weight doesn't really matter, I'd get the TRP HY/RD, as there's a mod you can do to the actuating arm that makes them work properly with Campagnolo levers (all of these cable actuated disc calipers seem to be designed around Shimano levers which pull more cable).