Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 02-19-2020, 08:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by weisan View Post
That was a dumb move.

Doesn't take a genius.

This guy got some serious "issue" both on...and off the bike that need some addressing.
This is what I "love" about the internet. The incredible reach people take judging someone over a split second of action in a video they see online. Once next, the guy kicks puppy's and drowns kittens?? I mean really, LOL!!!
Old 02-19-2020, 08:52 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
That was a dumb move.

Doesn't take a genius.

This guy got some serious "issue" both on...and off the bike that need some addressing.
Off the bike? How do you know that?
Old 02-19-2020, 08:53 AM

The shot clearly came from the grassy knoll. Back and to the right...
Old 02-19-2020, 08:55 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesdak View Post
This is what I "love" about the internet. The incredible reach people take judging someone over a split second of action in a video they see online. Once next, the guy kicks puppy's and drowns kittens?? I mean really, LOL!!!
Quote:
Doesn't take a genius.

I guess it DOES take a 'genus', or at least one who plays one on TV..or on a bike forum...

I agree..copy to the thread about losing our minds on 'social media'...
Old 02-19-2020, 08:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris View Post
The shot clearly came from the grassy knoll. Back and to the right...
That was the first shot.
Old 02-19-2020, 08:59 AM

Sorry for the diversion in topic but when I saw the title it made me smile.

Roger was a friend and a teammate that died from cancer. It brought back lots of memories all at once.

Looks to me the person was giving him a strong warning shove and it went to far possibly by accident. The victim could have been squarely many laps before.
Old 02-19-2020, 09:05 AM

Quote:
That was a dumb move.

Doesn't take a genius.

+100

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesdak View Post
Well of course we dont know the backstory or any or those involved, but IF that was on purpose, then Anyone that would do that to Anyone else has some real issues they need to work out.

Last edited by KarlC; 02-19-2020 at 09:13 AM.
Old 02-19-2020, 09:05 AM

IMO was a combination of things, Big guy was afraid of getting trapped, pushed a little bit, tiny guy did not figure it out that he needed to stop a little and fought for the position which at that point was already weird and since the 3rd guy was accomodating the bike to standing up the pedals the tiny dude touched wheels and went down. You have to know when to stop and lose the positions, specially when you are old... or stuff like that happens.

The issue with old guys racing is that you have newbies aswell, you lose the field feeling, and clearly from looking at the guys pedaling squares you can tell many of them arent trained in the sport since young age, aka... lack of experience.

At that age is ok to compete but win a race risking accidents? Same than starting racing with the rookies.... not my type of stuff at all. Wish the guy a quick come back.
Old 02-19-2020, 09:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldpotatoe View Post
Off the bike? How do you know that?
Because anyone who would deliberately crash a competitor in a race, knowing it could result in serious injury, clearly has issues. I wouldn't trust someone who demonstrates this kind of behavior, on or off the bike.

Bike racing can be physical but deliberately putting someone else in danger in this manner is way, way over the line.
Old 02-19-2020, 09:13 AM

Don't race crits.
Old 02-19-2020, 09:20 AM

Every once in a while i get the urge to race a crit. but then seeing this i get reminded of why i stick to racing 'cross, mountain bikes and time trials.
Old 02-19-2020, 09:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ultraman6970 View Post
IMO was a combination of things, Big guy was afraid of getting trapped, pushed a little bit, tiny guy did not figure it out that he needed to stop a little and fought for the position which at that point was already weird and since the 3rd guy was accomodating the bike to standing up the pedals the tiny dude touched wheels and went down. You have to know when to stop and lose the positions, specially when you are old... or stuff like that happens.

The issue with old guys racing is that you have newbies aswell, you lose the field feeling, and clearly from looking at the guys pedaling squares you can tell many of them arent trained in the sport since young age, aka... lack of experience.

At that age is ok to compete but win a race risking accidents? Same than starting racing with the rookies.... not my type of stuff at all. Wish the guy a quick come back.
This summary is excellent and I agree with nearly all of it. The only part I'll respectfully disagree with is the assessment that "Big guy was afraid of getting trapped, pushed a little bit." IMO he wasn't afraid, he was trying to move up into a space that just wasn't there. He got too aggressive, pushed too hard, and his push brought the rider in orange down. Bad move and USA Cycling should punish the rider for dangerous behavior. I make this statement as a current masters 55+ racer and former USA Cycling official.

If you race, you assume the risk of crashing. At the same time, you have the expectation that your fellow racers won't deliberately crash you out. Sadly, some segment of the racing community WILL crash you out in the "heat of battle." Whether deliberate or due to poor judgement/inexperience, it happens. I've eased up in dangerous sprints because a medal or a few dollars weren't worth the loss of my skin and the skin of my fellow racers. On one occasion, I had a ringside seat as two geniuses tried to occupy a space that was only one rider wide. They both hit the pavement and destroyed one bike frame and a collar bone in the process. Amazing to watch sparks coming off the pavement from a bike crash...

Greg
Old 02-19-2020, 09:25 AM
send me the twizzlers yo

Looks like a classic accident to me.
Old 02-19-2020, 09:27 AM

Racing incident.

The bloke in the white jersey had someone on his right and was getting pinched on the left by orange. Was it a hard push? Maybe. But when you are trying to not hook bars what would you do?
Old 02-19-2020, 09:27 AM

Crashed guy is a teammate of mine....I wasn't at this race but video came out hours after the crash as those in the pack during the race who saw it occur (even before reviewing the video) felt it was a deliberate take down. Fair to say there's been a lot of chatter and emotions have been running high, but glad to see that so far everyone is taking the high-road re: reporting it to USCF but there's limited hope it will be dealt with appropriately.

The offending racer is being excoriated among the local scene (as expected) and my guess is he'll find it difficult to find friends in the pack any time soon.
Closed Thread