Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 10-25-2020, 12:51 PM

Concerning Dent?

Should I be concerned about this dent on a used Co-Motion Robusta tandem?

I'm shopping for another tandem (our previous one was part of that large theft), since my son and I really enjoy riding one together. There seem to be several decent deals out there right now on used ones. Our previous one was a Co-Motion Periscope Torpedo, and there are a couple of those available right now. But this one caught my eye for its build and lighter weight, but I'm hesitant because of the dent. I don't want to bother asking Co-Motion about this, since I won't be buying a new bike from them (although I've had 5 Co-Motion bikes over the years)

So, seller said this about the dent. "At our bicycle repair shop over a year ago, one of their new technicians clamped the bike on the frame instead of the seat post. He wasn’t aware that you couldn’t do this with a tandem. We put some marker dots on the frame when it occurred and have ridden over 500 miles and as you can see with the dots, the dent has not changed."
Robusta1.jpg
Robusta2.jpg

Also love the idea and look of this 30 lb. tandem, but it is twice the price.
Matrix1.jpg
Old 10-25-2020, 01:12 PM

I'm just speculating but I'd be less concerned about integrity given that it is on the diagonal tube that mainly provides additional stiffness. It is a big dent though that would bug me ..., depends on how much he'd knock off the price. Robusta is a nice stiff and light tandem frame.
Old 10-25-2020, 01:35 PM

Also speculating but doubtful that the dent is a structural concern. The Bilenky I bought here had an 3/32" rust perforation at the front derailleur band, which I repaired internally with rolled up bronze screen material (think fiber reinforced) and epoxy. If the price is right and recognizes the defect, I'd go for it.
Old 10-25-2020, 01:46 PM
Administrator

IMO, I wouldn't worry about it and I'd ride the heck out of it. YMMV though.

W.