Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 10-25-2020, 01:06 PM

Contrarian here. I get the “want” of something new but am skeptical the Zondas will change your life. In my opinion you already have the perfect wheels for that frame and group.
Old 10-25-2020, 01:29 PM
commuter racer

Gorgeous bike there, you should try Zondas for not much money they will transform you bike. I've had Zonda's and other black wheels on this bike (neutrons etc) and I think it looks just fine.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg scirocc.jpg (119.3 KB, 145 views)
Old 10-25-2020, 01:38 PM

I put wheels on my Firefly that, including lighter tires and tubes cut over 1-1/4 pounds off the wheels that were on the bike, and were wider and a bit deeper, and I think I can feel the difference.
Old 10-25-2020, 02:29 PM

Get the Zondas. They’ll look good.
Old 10-25-2020, 02:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHAero View Post
I put wheels on my Firefly that, including lighter tires and tubes cut over 1-1/4 pounds off the wheels that were on the bike, and were wider and a bit deeper, and I think I can feel the difference.
Amazing. What wheels did I send you? I thought 240s laced to Hed Belgiums.
Old 10-25-2020, 02:56 PM

When I saw the title and realized which bike you are asking about (I’ve oogled this bike many times on several different occasions) I was like h@!! no but after hearing the weight and seeing shinomaster’s set-up above I say go for it!

I also like the idea of going with some WI’s silver hubs laced to something silver from H+ Son.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 10-25-2020, 03:04 PM
commuter racer

I'm having a hard time believing his wheels are that heavy honestly. I had a set of record 10 hubs laced to open pro's which were lighter than Kyriums surprisingly.
Old 10-25-2020, 03:07 PM

Not to pile on more opinions than necessary but something like White Ind T11's to silver archetypes would make a truly wonderful modern silver wheelset.
Old 10-25-2020, 03:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joevers View Post
Not to pile on more opinions than necessary but something like White Ind T11's to silver archetypes would make a truly wonderful modern silver wheelset.

I have this wheelset on my RSL and they are fantastic!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 10-25-2020, 03:25 PM

Hi Ari

Below from a thread earlier this year:
I received the wheels I purchased from nmrt (first rate seller!) and mounted the Conti GP5000 clincher tires and Spec Turbo tubes this evening. I weighed both wheelsets complete with rubber. The set on the bike is T11 hubs/HED Belgium rims/28/32 spokes/28mm Corsa G+, weighing in at 2,560g. The new set is Tune hubs/Easton R90SL rims/Pillar bladed spokes 20/28/25mm GP5000, tipping the scale at 1,990g. 570g, or 1.26 pounds, off the total wheel weight.

The wheels you sent are beauties. The newer wheels are amazing and the spokes are rainbow anodized to boot! Makes a wonderful bike even better, plus some bling.

Quote:
Originally Posted by akelman View Post
Amazing. What wheels did I send you? I thought 240s laced to Hed Belgiums.
Old 10-25-2020, 03:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHAero View Post
Hi Ari

Below from a thread earlier this year:
I received the wheels I purchased from nmrt (first rate seller!) and mounted the Conti GP5000 clincher tires and Spec Turbo tubes this evening. I weighed both wheelsets complete with rubber. The set on the bike is T11 hubs/HED Belgium rims/28/32 spokes/28mm Corsa G+, weighing in at 2,560g. The new set is Tune hubs/Easton R90SL rims/Pillar bladed spokes 20/28/25mm GP5000, tipping the scale at 1,990g. 570g, or 1.26 pounds, off the total wheel weight.

The wheels you sent are beauties. The newer wheels are amazing and the spokes are rainbow anodized to boot! Makes a wonderful bike even better, plus some bling.
Holy crap, that's bonkers. As you note in your post, it's not an apples-to-apples comparison, but regardless, it's a HUGE weight savings. Wow.
Old 10-26-2020, 06:25 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by exapkib View Post
Appreciate the feedback from so many.

So, in the light of morning I double-checked the numbers in the original post, and they are not accurate. The actual weight of the naked wheels is just under 4.5 pounds (~2.1 kg). Checked on my scale, and confirmed it by sneaking the food scale out of the kitchen.

This being the case, the move to Zondas would drop just over a pound. Now that's not nothing, but it's not quite as drastic as my mistaken numbers had predicted. With that in mind, I ask myself: is it worth it?

Visually, I agree that the black can work as well as the silver, but I remain unconvinced about the lacing of the rear wheel with this particular frame. I think I'm leaning toward the rebuild route--time to poke around for the most suitable 32/32 rims that are out there.

Very open to further comments and suggestions. The idea of tubulars carries a certain mystique, but it just feels like such a big commitment.
Yee gads man..you only see that 'triplett' lacing when yer sitting in the coffee shop waiting to start the ride. How it feels and works is MUCH more important.

If Velocity suits you, give me a shout..GREAT, well made(in Florida!!) rims.

Really not..not anymore than keeping your drivetrain clean..except you don't have to do the 'tubular' gig as often. The ride, sublime and as has been mentioned..the ride quality is the key....
Old 10-26-2020, 06:30 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by akelman View Post
Holy crap, that's bonkers. As you note in your post, it's not an apples-to-apples comparison, but regardless, it's a HUGE weight savings. Wow.
Yes but only 'about' 1%(actually less..1.26 and a 200 pound 'ready to ride' bike and rider) of the total of clothed rider with the bike(as in water, etc) ready to ride.
Old 10-26-2020, 09:10 AM

So Peter, what % do YOU think begins to make a difference? I feel a difference between my Firefly and Big Dummy

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldpotatoe View Post
Yes but only 'about' 1%(actually less..1.26 and a 200 pound 'ready to ride' bike and rider) of the total of clothed rider with the bike(as in water, etc) ready to ride.
Old 10-26-2020, 11:04 AM

Hmmm, when a manufacturer posts wheel weight do they included skewers and rim tape (if appropriate)? When we weigh our existing wheels for comparison do we remove skewers and rim tape? Are all the scales checked for accuracy?