Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 09-09-2019, 11:27 PM

Totally OT: Recovery from TURP Surgery

Not looking for medical advice ...... just looking for any Forum experiences with recovery from TURP surgery. I do plan on following my docs advice which is no activity other than walking for 2 solid weeks, no heavy lifting for at least 3 weeks, no biking for 4 weeks & just generally listening to your body. FWIW..... I’m 54 YO (soon to be 55) and in otherwise good health. Definitely above average fitness and very active. Looking for any experiences with recovery and time frame when you got back to “normal” activities. I had procedure done On Sept 6th. Thanks in advance.......
Old 09-10-2019, 01:59 AM

(Google "what is TURP surgery?")

...ow...

Best wishes for a smooth and speedy recovery!

Last edited by dgauthier; 09-10-2019 at 02:03 AM.
Old 09-10-2019, 07:10 AM

1st person to ask-your urologist.
2nd person to ask-your urologist
3rd person to ask-your urologist
20th person to ask- google
Old 09-10-2019, 07:35 AM

My kidney surgery was probably less invasive (but involved plumbing as well)--and the only advice I would offer is listen to the docs, and be gentle with your body. It took a long time for my strength come back, and to feel decent. (I'm a little older, so that probably didn't help.)

I used the Nordic track every morning--starting at few minutes (and it stayed only a few minutes for quite a while).

Trauma has real effects!

Best wished for your recovery!
Old 09-10-2019, 08:21 AM

The surgery, as you know, basically involves reaming out the prostrate gland that's impinging on the urethra and making it harder to pee. This results in backups in the bladder and weakens that over time. I had my surgery nearly 20 years ago. I was a "hero" in the hospital ward that night walking miles tethered to a catheter, then got myself released the next day. Yeah. Except that I had a clot almost immediately on getting home resulting in the worst pain I've ever experienced and a rushed trip back to the emergency room, some morphine, a pump out procedure and another day in the hospital. Nothing ever felt as good as that morphine.

The surgery, by definition, results in a bloody mess inside you that needs time to be reabsorbed into your body. If it doesn't you will get a clot and blockage and big time pain. So take your urologist's advice and add a little caution to that. In the overall scheme of things, whether you are back on the bike in 3 weeks or 5 weeks or two months doesn't matter. Avoiding a blockage does.

I've done 7 broken ribs caused by a dog running into my path and the pain from that doesn't compare to the pain from a tiny blockage in your urethra.
Old 09-10-2019, 08:29 AM

fkelly is right - don't be a hero. I had a prostatectomy a couple of years ago, and walking is the best thing you can do. It takes longer than you expect, or want to recover - don't push it. Listen to, and follow what your urologist recommends - not us!

Best of luck
Old 09-10-2019, 08:43 AM

My dad had this a year or so ago.

He is not a hard core cyclist but does like to bike.. pretty sure he waited plenty of time and listened to the doctor.

He is like a new person though.. it was like he got his life back. He'd had recurring/persistent infections as a result of the prostate messing up his bladder, and he was chronically sleep deprived from waking up to go to the bathroom.

Sounds like you're probably past the nasty stuff, or maybe you were able to get in before it got that bad. He had to wait a long time to get his surgery done.. major PITA dealing with surgical scheduling and/or the doctor continuously delaying the surgery trying to get the infection under control first.

He's biking more now than he has in many years, got a new bike and the whole thing. He's about 15 years older than you.
Old 09-10-2019, 09:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fkelly View Post
The surgery, as you know, basically involves reaming out the prostrate gland that's impinging on the urethra and making it harder to pee. This results in backups in the bladder and weakens that over time. I had my surgery nearly 20 years ago. I was a "hero" in the hospital ward that night walking miles tethered to a catheter, then got myself released the next day. Yeah. Except that I had a clot almost immediately on getting home resulting in the worst pain I've ever experienced and a rushed trip back to the emergency room, some morphine, a pump out procedure and another day in the hospital. Nothing ever felt as good as that morphine.

The surgery, by definition, results in a bloody mess inside you that needs time to be reabsorbed into your body. If it doesn't you will get a clot and blockage and big time pain. So take your urologist's advice and add a little caution to that. In the overall scheme of things, whether you are back on the bike in 3 weeks or 5 weeks or two months doesn't matter. Avoiding a blockage does.

I've done 7 broken ribs caused by a dog running into my path and the pain from that doesn't compare to the pain from a tiny blockage in your urethra.
OUCH!! Thanks.

I had severe pain but not from blockage but from bladder spasms the day after the procedure after catheter was removed. Luckily that happened before I was discharged from hospital. Not pleasant essentially going into shock while trying to go to the washroom.

I do intend to follow my docs advice to a tee and am just looking for + & - experiences with recovery that anyone on PL has had. Thanks for the comments so far.
Old 09-10-2019, 10:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by benb View Post
My dad had this a year or so ago.

My dad had the procedure done about 6 months ago. He's 84 and hasn't exercised in probably 75 years (seriously). He said it wasn't that bad, and he recovered very quickly. It has really helped his quality of life though.
Old 09-10-2019, 11:42 AM

Apologize if this is thread drift:
I've heard there are surgical alternatives to TURP that have fewer side effects and risks. Anyone with experience/expertise?
Old 09-11-2019, 07:24 AM

I've worked in this field, and there are a bunch of alternatives. Two of the more popular ones with urologists these days are Urolift and Rezum, both of which can be done in the physicians office.