Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 09-09-2019, 01:08 PM

OT : anyone here switched to Linux OS from Windows or Apple?

Gotten fed up with Microsoft intrusiveness with their new system, and apparently Apple isn't much better. I was going to go Apple since I like my Macbook I've had since 08 but maybe I'll go Linux. What did you install and how did it go? Thanks
Old 09-09-2019, 01:14 PM

I used to use it a lot for work. I mostly used it for Unix style command line interfaces for manipulating a lot of data to include coding scripts etc.

In that environment I really liked it. Now I just use a MacBook as well.
Old 09-09-2019, 01:19 PM
Classics Fan

Not a user. but I recently came across this company, pur.ism that makes computers and phones that are highly secure. It uses a special distribution of linux, as I understand it.
Old 09-09-2019, 01:21 PM

I got fed up with Windows about 2 years ago, switched to Linux, and haven't looked back. Currently I'm running elementary OS and it's wonderful. It's easy to install and intuitive once you start using it. I use my laptop mainly for Spotify in the house, web, email, movies, etc, and I've installed Darktable for photo editing. I've never been held back by Linux, and if you're curious I highly recommend trying it out.
Old 09-09-2019, 01:22 PM

I switched to Mac with my 2014 Macbook Pro. Waiting for it to die and then switching back to Linux.
Old 09-09-2019, 01:35 PM

IMO you can get the best bang for your buck if you go Linux.

Its pretty much a Mac for the price of a PC. You just need to be somewhat savvy to get certain things to work, but you'd get used to it.
Old 09-09-2019, 01:44 PM

I've been using Linux at home since the 1990s. My laptop is running the latest Ubuntu LTS and my desktop is running Mint. The laptop is new, purchased from Dell with Linux installed.

I haven't had Windows in the house in 7 or 8 years, and that was a dual boot I only ever used to download audio books from the Library.

I do a lot of photo editing with GIMP, which is native to Linux. Browsers, of course, you'll notice no difference regardless of what OS. For the little I use them, Libre Office spreadsheet and writer provide all the functionality I need and can read and write MS Office-compatible files. I create many cue sheets from RWGPS and use a Perl script to do the heavy manipulation, and Perl is native to Linux as well.

Literally the only thing I don't have that I could possibly want is the ability to download audio books from the Library -- and it's definitely not worth it to me to run a Windows environment just for that.
Old 09-09-2019, 01:51 PM
DELETE ACCNT

Can someone provide links or info on how to setup a Linux system?

I'm done with Mac and was thinking of getting a Razer Blade PC but if there is an option with Linux, I would love to hear more.
Will this allow me to run my mac software, for example.
Old 09-09-2019, 01:55 PM

I've tried using Linux over many years. Can't get around the inferiority of the apps and good luck getting peripherals like a printer and scanner to work. Lack of drivers is a major limitation.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Old 09-09-2019, 02:13 PM

Dabbled in Linux a bit over the past 15-20 years (not so much lately though) and Ubuntu is a pretty good distribution for first-timers. There is a small learning curve but not too bad if you are minimally computer literate, and there's a large user base with an active forum should you run into issues.
Old 09-09-2019, 02:43 PM
Randomhead

I used to use linux on my desktop and never had any trouble with drivers. The apps are adequate. I only switched back to windows because of a couple of apps for work, but otherwise I would still be using it. I have a computer in the basement that is getting linux any day now.

I always used ubuntu. They have the most online support for non-technical people. I used linux since fairly early days, but I don't want to have to figure out how to fix things, i just want them fixed.
Old 09-09-2019, 03:08 PM

I switched from Windows about fifteen years ago. First with Ubuntu, but have been a long time user of Mint on my home computer and Kali on my lap top. No way I'd go back to Windows or Apple.
Old 09-09-2019, 03:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pasadena View Post
Can someone provide links or info on how to setup a Linux system?

I'm done with Mac and was thinking of getting a Razer Blade PC but if there is an option with Linux, I would love to hear more.
Will this allow me to run my mac software, for example.
After a few evenings of research you could be testing out a Linux distribution confidently. My suggestion is to first create a bootable USB drive with a Debian based distribution, like Ubuntu or Mint. Essentially, you install Linux on a USB drive, and then boot from the USB drive and test out Linux without even installing anything. If you like it, Ubuntu gives you the option to install straight from the desktop with their recommended settings, which will wipe your harddrive (if you wish) or allow you to dual boot.

From here, it's a matter of learning the new OS. The file system is different, some of the navigation is different, and installing new programs is different. But soon you get the hang of it and start to appreciate how much the OS stays out of your way. The best way to try it out is to just dive in.

A lot of Mac software has a Linux counterpart that's free. It may not be as robust as the Mac specific software, but I've never felt like it has limited me. But to answer your question, no you can't install Mac software on a Linux machine.
Old 09-09-2019, 04:07 PM
DELETE ACCNT

thanks for the quick synopsis
I guess my advantage is that no matter what I move to, Windows or Linux, it's all new for me.
I wish I could stay with Mac but their hardware is just stupid now, and there really is no "pro" grade laptop anymore.

Quote:
Originally Posted by papa bless View Post
After a few evenings of research you could be testing out a Linux distribution confidently. My suggestion is to first create a bootable USB drive with a Debian based distribution, like Ubuntu or Mint. Essentially, you install Linux on a USB drive, and then boot from the USB drive and test out Linux without even installing anything. If you like it, Ubuntu gives you the option to install straight from the desktop with their recommended settings, which will wipe your harddrive (if you wish) or allow you to dual boot.

From here, it's a matter of learning the new OS. The file system is different, some of the navigation is different, and installing new programs is different. But soon you get the hang of it and start to appreciate how much the OS stays out of your way. The best way to try it out is to just dive in.

A lot of Mac software has a Linux counterpart that's free. It may not be as robust as the Mac specific software, but I've never felt like it has limited me. But to answer your question, no you can't install Mac software on a Linux machine.
Old 09-09-2019, 05:06 PM

How should one pronounce "Linux"?