Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 09-08-2019, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marciero View Post
Some shops post their labor rates, which seem to be on par with auto rates, $80-$100/hr. All that knowledge, tools, experience overhead is built into that. I dont see why bike shop labor rates should be any more or less than auto.

A bare bones headset- you bring in frame with fork removed. They remove headset, install cups and crown race but do not install. That might take 5-10 min but it would seem reasonable to round up to the closest 15 min, or to have a 15 min minimum. So 20-$25. $50 would be exorbitant for that.
Are you ****ing kidding me? You really think a bike mechanic should be paid as much as an auto tech? This is probably the most ridiculous thing I've ever heard. Do a motor/trans swap and tell me that a bike mechanic should be paid as much as an auto tech! Bikes are probably the easiest things ever to work on.
Old 09-08-2019, 11:53 AM

You know, I've got a pretty good relationship with a local guy who, I think, is the best around - esp. w/ Campy. If there's something I need done, I more or less just bring it in and let him handle it, usually without even asking about price. 1) I have never been anything other than pleasantly surprised, and 2) in my small way, I'm helping to support his shop.
Old 09-08-2019, 12:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by msriddle View Post
Thanks for all the guidance. I’ve long since done most of my own wrenching for numerous reasons.

This is a bare Pegoretti frame that requires a King D11 headset. So trying to buy that from a shop is a waste of everyone’s time. I don’t own headset tools but was just trying to determine if I was better buying the tools for ~$100 and likely never using them again.

Seems like if I walk in with the frame it would be a $45-$60 procedure.

Wish me luck...
I wish you luck
Old 09-08-2019, 01:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChainNoise View Post
Are you ****ing kidding me? You really think a bike mechanic should be paid as much as an auto tech? This is probably the most ridiculous thing I've ever heard. Do a motor/trans swap and tell me that a bike mechanic should be paid as much as an auto tech! Bikes are probably the easiest things ever to work on.
That's not what I said. And I have done a trans install. And an engine swap.
Old 09-08-2019, 01:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChainNoise View Post
Bahhhhaaha. I love when you guys pop out of the woodwork. Your name is chain noise and based on your sig you own two rim brake, threaded bb, mechanical shifting road bikes. I’m sure you think you’re a great mechanic too.
Old 09-08-2019, 01:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pegoready View Post
Bahhhhaaha. I love when you guys pop out of the woodwork. Your name is chain noise and based on your sig you own two rim brake, threaded bb, mechanical shifting road bikes. I’m sure you think you’re a great mechanic too.
He has a point though. How much money in tools does one need to work on a car engine x installing a headset on bicycle frame?
Last i heard prices reflect labor + costs.
Old 09-08-2019, 01:55 PM

Car mechanic is a humbling job. There are few mistakes you can get away with. OTOH I had bike mechanics mess up my headset and fork once. Lots of respect for the capable guys , but if you're good, you probably are able to get a better paying job.
Old 09-08-2019, 02:31 PM

This is a timely subject as I have a freshly built Serotta Atlanta that I will keep for a long time and want to put in a new King HS to replace the 25 year old Shimano 600 in there. I have the DIY tools and know what I am doing but it would be hard to replace the steel frame in case of a mistake so off to the shop it goes. I go there often and they work on a lot of steel, including Pegs if that matters so I will pay the $$.
Old 09-08-2019, 02:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spoker View Post
Car mechanic is a humbling job. There are few mistakes you can get away with. OTOH I had bike mechanics mess up my headset and fork once. Lots of respect for the capable guys , but if you're good, you probably are able to get a better paying job.
Huh what kind of logic is this? Only in the US is money everything (it seems)
What about enjoying your work? Or making something worth while?
Old 09-08-2019, 03:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by colker View Post
He has a point though. How much money in tools does one need to work on a car engine x installing a headset on bicycle frame?
Last i heard prices reflect labor + costs.
Cost of labor and labor rates, though related, are two different things. There are multiple factors impacting the latter. Just as there are some, like the former and and tools/equipment, would tend to push labor rates higher, there are others, such as economies of scale, that would tend to push them down.

It's funny, my estimate of cost for this job, based on time and labor rates on par with auto, is the lowest in the thread. Based on what others are estimating, it seems that many paceliners are advocating labor rates in excess of twice the auto rate.
Old 09-08-2019, 03:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pegoready View Post
I surely would hope I'm a good mechanic...if I weren't, I'd be smashing $150k tools all day and wouldn't have a job
Old 09-08-2019, 03:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbike4 View Post
This is a timely subject as I have a freshly built Serotta Atlanta that I will keep for a long time and want to put in a new King HS to replace the 25 year old Shimano 600 in there. I have the DIY tools and know what I am doing but it would be hard to replace the steel frame in case of a mistake so off to the shop it goes. I go there often and they work on a lot of steel, including Pegs if that matters so I will pay the $$.
Timely indeed; i want your shimano 600 hs.
Old 09-08-2019, 03:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marciero View Post

It's funny, my estimate of cost for this job, based on time and labor rates on par with auto, is the lowest in the thread. Based on what others are estimating, it seems that many paceliners are advocating labor rates in excess of twice the auto rate.
I would estimate $30 and i can install a headset if i have the proper tools. Maybe not a King though i have watched guys installing a King hs w/ a hammer and a piece of wood.
Old 09-08-2019, 04:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by colker View Post
Timely indeed; i want your shimano 600 hs.
If you are interested I may already have one laying around in my garage. I know I won't need 2 of them.
Old 09-08-2019, 04:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbike4 View Post
If you are interested I may already have one laying around in my garage. I know I won't need 2 of them.
You have a PM.