Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 09-08-2019, 06:46 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by froze View Post
There has been cases too where someone got drunk and seriously damaged a person or killed them and was awarded to pay assets to the injured party, and the perps purposely became homeless so they wouldn't have to pay the injured party a dime out of their work paychecks. Nice huh? I guess the good thing about a perp doing that is they have to live in hell on earth conditions till they die.
I guess..strange world we live in that so many people don't think they should be responsible for their actions....but yet, it happens..even at the very top of the $ food chain..
Old 09-08-2019, 06:56 AM

In terms of suing: I don't like the litigious nature of American society. A few years ago I was bitten by a dog while running. Nothing serious but would have been ugly had it been a child. The owner apologized etc but was negligent.
I didn't Sue because I'm not that guy.
My sister is an attorney and explained that litigation is how it works and that dog will continue to bite until the owner is sued and is forced to change behavior. Law enforcement will not take of the problem, the civil court will.
Far from a perfect system but I really hope that poorly behaved dog (blame owner,of course) never mauled a kid or elderly person as a result of my trying to not be part of the problem.
Bottom line: sue not for the money, but to protect future victims from this driver. Cyclists, runners, walkers, drivers.

Sent from my SM-G960U1 using Tapatalk
Old 09-10-2019, 05:46 PM

This accident and seeing my friend go through rehab has got me somewhat paranoid about riding on the road. I still do but find myself looking over my shoulder a lot more when i hear a car approaching. So i ordered a Garmin Varia. it will integrate with my Garmin 520 and let me know when cars are approaching. Not saying it would have helped my friend but out on the roads you need all the protection you can get.