Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 09-02-2019, 08:12 PM

I joined this forum in late 2015 after having spent a lot of time over the previous decade on a road bike. I love road bikes—they are the sports cars of the cycling world. But the change in the way cyclists and bikes are viewed by society had me terribly worried about my own safety.

My solution was to build a bike specifically for the gravel/limestone path network in northern Illinois. I recently decided to start MTB trail riding again, too. I spend almost zero time on a bike around cars, and I couldn't be happier. I'm sure my wife and kids think so, too.

I hate the fact that I can't comfortably and safely ride a road bike anymore, without feeling like I'm going to be hit by an inattentive motorist. But to me, it's just not worth it anymore.
Old 09-02-2019, 08:36 PM

MAN, my heart goes out to your friend, I hope she makes a full and speedy recovery. I got off easy this past Saturday as I got side swiped going 35 on a fast descent in Putnam County,N.Y. My guess is the person was texting and drifted into the shoulder almost aiming for me. It happened so fast I couldn't believe I stayed upright!!!! Classic hit and run. I sustained some bruising on my arm, really lucky indeed!! Please stay safe and if possible ride with a friend or two.
Old 09-02-2019, 09:12 PM

So sorry about your friend, I'll be praying for her if that's ok.

I don't normally respond to these types of post but your friend's situation is the same as my friend's was that happened on Aug 16th this year. He was riding out in the country when a drunk driver driving a U-haul van went across the center line and into the opposing lane where my friend was at, I think my friend was staring a foot or so in front of his front wheel and never saw the guy coming, he hit the windshield pivoted up and over the truck then was sent crashing onto the pavement...my friend died after life support was disconnected 5 days later. I've been to the accident scene, my friend could have gone into the cornfield had he seen he truck coming which is the only explanation I have for what happened, he never saw the drunk. There were witnesses thank God, and one of them chased the truck while he called 911 so that guy got the drunk to pull over where the guy held him till the cops got there. Blood tests showed him to be 3 times over the legal limit, and he didn't have a license because of previous DUI convictions (plural)! So hopefully the drunk will go away for a long time.

Keep your eyes open folks and look ahead at least a quarter of mile ahead, there is nothing on the road a foot or so from the wheel that you need to see that you can't see by looking ahead, but I see a lot of people ride like that, and I know he had that habit of doing that. I had another friend, also a teacher in Fort Wayne community that died two years ago when he failed to stop for a stop sign on a country road and a car hit him. We need to be obeying the laws of the road too.

https://fortwaynesnbc.com/news/top-s...-teacher-dies/
Old 09-03-2019, 07:01 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by superbowlpats View Post
A good friend was hit from behind yesterday afternoon in Carver, MA. Sounds like a distracted driver. She was wearing reflective yellow jersey and had front and rear blinking lights. Hit her so hard she ended up smashing into his windshield. woke up in the ambulance. Now she's in the hospital with a broken pelvis, hip, ribs, tibia, and some L3/4 damage.
My goodness..hope she recovers well and quickly. She also had a concussion, which really is a BIG part of her injuries. Hopefully the driver stopped, was ticketed and when your friend is able...contact a GOOD injury lawyer. She should NOT talk to the driver's insurance company..When I was hit from behind..I was contacted w/i 3-4 days after I left the hospital(5 days in)..AND the major part of the settlement I received was because of my concussion, TBI.

She needs to consider her long term condition..like decade(s) from now, if she finds she has long term issues..THAT'S why you sue..for decent damage $ resolution, for her future..
Old 09-03-2019, 08:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by upon3 View Post
I hate the fact that I can't comfortably and safely ride a road bike anymore, without feeling like I'm going to be hit by an inattentive motorist. But to me, it's just not worth it anymore.
It's a shame that there is this insidious 'creeping' of hesitation entering into the minds of a lot of people I ride with - myself included. I ride mostly in open horse country or farmland and don't do any city riding, so it's still pretty good around here, but there is this increasing caution, especially when I ride alone. I'm not as far as you as to be giving up entirely on the road, but I see that question in a lot of people's minds.

So, what's changed? I attribute all this to 1) assholes and 2) distracted drivers (an oxymoron!), the former mostly meaning rednecks and other jokers who distinctly mean you harm, and the latter to other kinds of hapless fools who cannot seem to take their next breath without announcing to their closest friends and/or the the entire world their every-little-observation-or-concern-in-life, usually ad nauseum.

Seems like both Groups 1) and 2) are growing daily - I'm not sure which one faster.

It's not getting any better, but, for now, I'm not done with the road.

Last edited by OtayBW; 09-03-2019 at 08:56 AM.
Old 09-03-2019, 03:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimD View Post
Sounds like my normal outfit and equipment.

I hope she recovers quickly and fully.

Last, I hope the driver is prosecuted and sued. With extreme prejudice.
Came in here to say the exact same thing. I hope he/she looses everything and even spends a considerable amount of time in prison. Until the justice system takes this seriously it will jsut keep happening.
Old 09-03-2019, 03:19 PM

I was running (well... jogging...slowly) yesterday and one stretch had no shoulder. I had a few cars cut it close. Mind you I was wearing a vest too...

It seems to be the norm.
Old 09-03-2019, 03:24 PM

such a shame. Pray that she recovers fully.
Old 09-03-2019, 03:31 PM

I can totally empathize...

sounds like my most recent assault (I refuse to call it an 'accident') which was by a hit/run driver.

woke up in the ER 5 hours after leaving the house, have no memory of the incident. altho my injuries were less severe (separated shoulder, broken thumb, concussion, lotta rash), it was life-altering. some affected body parts do not work like they did prior to the event.

I will stress that retaining an attorney is critical, specifically one that specializes in cycling-related cases. mine was invaluable, he earned every penny of his fee.
Old 09-03-2019, 03:56 PM

any thoughts on how to find an attorney? bikelaw.com doesnt cover Mass. Visited her today, lots of pain but she is a trooper. wants to ride as soon as she can. moving to a rehab facility on the Cape tomorrow.
Old 09-03-2019, 04:05 PM

google search result...there were others as well...

https://www.jeffreysglassman.com/bicycle-accident.html
Old 09-03-2019, 04:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seramount View Post
I can totally empathize...

sounds like my most recent assault (I refuse to call it an 'accident') which was by a hit/run driver.

woke up in the ER 5 hours after leaving the house, have no memory of the incident. altho my injuries were less severe (separated shoulder, broken thumb, concussion, lotta rash), it was life-altering. some affected body parts do not work like they did prior to the event.

I will stress that retaining an attorney is critical, specifically one that specializes in cycling-related cases. mine was invaluable, he earned every penny of his fee.
If you don't mind, was the driver in your case ultimately found and that is how your attorney proved invaluable or are you referring to dealing with insurance/medical/lost wages/etc?

I had a similar experience (h&r, no memory) and the driver was never found.
Old 09-03-2019, 04:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by donevwil View Post
If you don't mind, was the driver in your case ultimately found and that is how your attorney proved invaluable or are you referring to dealing with insurance/medical/lost wages/etc?

I had a similar experience (h&r, no memory) and the driver was never found.
the local PD was given a partial description (color, possible make/model, but no plate no.) of the car by a witness. they claimed to have interviewed one driver and inspected the vehicle but saw no evidence of contact. no further effort was expended by them.

the attorney interviewed several other potential witnesses, obtained security camera footage from a nearby state agency facility, but the driver was never identified.

he also dealt with a mountain of medical receipts, my employer, and most importantly filed for damages with my auto insurer under the 'uninsured motorist' clause (which saved me a lot of money that, had he not been retained, I would have unknowingly paid out-of-pocket).
Old 09-03-2019, 09:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldpotatoe View Post
My goodness..hope she recovers well and quickly. She also had a concussion, which really is a BIG part of her injuries. Hopefully the driver stopped, was ticketed and when your friend is able...contact a GOOD injury lawyer. She should NOT talk to the driver's insurance company..When I was hit from behind..I was contacted w/i 3-4 days after I left the hospital(5 days in)..AND the major part of the settlement I received was because of my concussion, TBI.

She needs to consider her long term condition..like decade(s) from now, if she finds she has long term issues..THAT'S why you sue..for decent damage $ resolution, for her future..
I don't know if it is even possible, but sue for future medical. Normally they try to buy you off for 3-5x your total medical costs.

Anyway, Oldpotatoe is right - small injuries today become big problems later in life. Win a settlement, put the $$ away for future needs...
Old 09-04-2019, 06:35 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dekonick View Post
I don't know if it is even possible, but sue for future medical. Normally they try to buy you off for 3-5x your total medical costs.

Anyway, Oldpotatoe is right - small injuries today become big problems later in life. Win a settlement, put the $$ away for future needs...
What I mean is make the settlement substantial in case of a decade down the line you wake up with numb legs and it can be traced to the accident or long term mental issues, like anger, depression, like I have seen with my concussion(happened in 2002, still 'with me'...)..Remember now, the OP now has a 'pre-existing condition' and depending on the health care follies..
a future problem traced back to a past accident, could be financially devastating. A substantial settlement..you aren't being 'greedy', but taking care of yourself for the future.

No real guide but a good injury lawyer, not some ambulance chaser..one that isn't afraid of going to court.
Remember, the whole process can take years(mine took 3 years), will be very frustrating, even WITHOUT the injury..insurance companies are stuff of the devil.

Also for the OP..talk to a psychologist along wit a good neurosurgeon, re: the concussion..The most difficult part of the mentioned injuries to treat, the most serious one, IMHO.

Last edited by oldpotatoe; 09-04-2019 at 06:38 AM.