Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 09-05-2019, 08:22 PM

Shimano quick link question

I just updated from Ultegra 6700 to R8000 and, although I swear I checked it 3 times, I still put the quick link facing the wrong direction. Is this really a problem for your average rider just riding for enjoyment? I don’t race or even climb (South Florida), so what is the potential problem with having it backwards? I have extra, but don’t have the removal tool currently.
Old 09-06-2019, 09:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveV0983 View Post
I just updated from Ultegra 6700 to R8000 and, although I swear I checked it 3 times, I still put the quick link facing the wrong direction. Is this really a problem for your average rider just riding for enjoyment? I don’t race or even climb (South Florida), so what is the potential problem with having it backwards? I have extra, but don’t have the removal tool currently.
I have no idea, but let us know what happens! Just in case, did you know those chains are directional as well? The side with the logos is supposed to be facing out.
Old 09-06-2019, 08:58 PM

Yes, I got the chain right, but just put the quick link on backwards. Anyway, rather than take any chances I just picked up the Park link pliers at my LBS and put a new one on the correct way.
Old 09-07-2019, 04:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rowebr View Post
I have no idea, but let us know what happens! Just in case, did you know those chains are directional as well? The side with the logos is supposed to be facing out.

There are two possible orientations where the logo side faces out, each resulting in different chain direction. The fact that the logo on the plates alternates upside down/right side up would lead one to think that either direction is fine. On the other hand, if the chain is fixed with a connector pin and you observe the practice of removing links only from the end ending with an inner link (so as to have a virgin outer link on the other end to hold the inserted pin), and also observed the practice of having the inner link through which the connecting pin is inserted on the leading/pulling side (not sure why this is recommended), this would fix the chain direction. These considerations are moot when using a quick link though.
Old 09-09-2019, 05:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marciero View Post
... and also observed the practice of having the inner link through which the connecting pin is inserted on the leading/pulling side (not sure why this is recommended), this would fix the chain direction...
I think you might have meant "outer" link?

Shimano's graphic shows an outer link with the special pin pressed through the leading hole of the plate.

Looks like the special pins are soon going to be a thing of the past, and after pressing like a few thousand of them, I might miss them a little. Well, maybe not.
Old 09-09-2019, 05:47 PM

Easy to fix... start pedaling backwards
Old 09-09-2019, 06:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dddd View Post
I think you might have meant "outer" link?

Shimano's graphic shows an outer link with the special pin pressed through the leading hole of the plate.

Looks like the special pins are soon going to be a thing of the past, and after pressing like a few thousand of them, I might miss them a little. Well, maybe not.
Probably. I read years ago that there was a preferred way to do it but honestly I promptly forgot and never paid attention to it. Recently I looked it up but was not a Shimano publication so could have just been wrong.
Old 09-09-2019, 06:53 PM

Just take a couple minutes and swap it around. For you to post this thread means that it bothers you.

I had the same situation and ended up purchasing a quick connect plier on Amazon. Well worth it! So easy to disconnect and connect. Let me grab you a link
Old 09-09-2019, 06:54 PM

One of the best $9 I spent:
Oumers Bike Link Plier, Chain... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07BR7CYJ2...p_mob_ap_share
Ohh and just reuse the same new link. No biggie