Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 09-07-2005, 03:01 PM

How Bad Is 100 miles?

Ok so I'm in NYC and I'm planning to ride the 100 miles in the NYC Century Bike Tour this Sunday. So I'm wondering for those that have ridden 100 miles, how bad was it your first time? I hope to ride non-stop and plan to bring along 6-8 packs of gels and just munch on them while I ride . Maybe I'll fill my water bottles with beer and that way I can get drunk enough not to feel my butt or back after the last 40-50 miles .
"But arent you at home?"
"Yea"
Old 09-07-2005, 03:05 PM
Campy or Walk

Don't try to do it non-stop. You will suffer. Instead break it up into mageable distances of four 25 mile rides from rest stop to rest stop or something like that.
Old 09-07-2005, 03:24 PM

My experience is just the opposite of Bill, I may stop for a brief break once or twice, but never more than 5 minutes. Any longer and I would need to be constantly stretching, wrap back and thighs to prevent cool down and cramping and mentally to remotivate myself to continue onward. The mental aspect becomes even more challenging if you've never ridden a century and thus the longer one were to take a break, the more opportunity arises for doubts to enter one's mind.

I would also encourage a different fuel supplement than gel fuel alone. Gel's are fine shorterm fuel source, particularly near end of ride. I would encourage you to consume bananas, energy bars (Cliff bars, etc.), figbars and easily digested sandwich quarters during the 1st 2/3rds of ride. The gels are great for that last 3rd home stretch.

Consume LOTS of water, 1/4-1/3 of which should have some sort of elctrolyte supplement added. A good hydrating practice is to carry a single water bottle with Gatorade or similar solution while wearing a large capacity Camelback with pure water. Drink constantly but in small portions.

Most of all have fun with it. Keep your own pace, do the best you can and keep focussed on the goal of finishing, regardless of elapsed time.

Ride on!
Old 09-07-2005, 03:29 PM
Campy or Walk

Welcome back Macster Long time-no hear.
Old 09-07-2005, 03:36 PM
JohnS

If you can ride 40 miles, you can ride 100. It's the same effort, just for a longer period of time. Remember, it's not a race. Find your own pace,a nd keep with it. Eat plenty, you're not trying to lose weight. Take some Advil after you're done. Have fun!
Old 09-07-2005, 03:39 PM
scottcw

My first 100 mile ride was in the Santa Cruz foothills. I had never done more than 50 miles prior to this ride. I ate a Clif bar for breakfast and had 3-4 in my pockets for during the ride. One bottle of water, one bottle of water/Gatorade. Refilled them about 1/2 way through the ride. No pain, but I was pretty hungry after the ride, so I had a burger, fries, and a vanilla malt an hour or so later.

I would not recommend this for everyone.
Old 09-07-2005, 03:58 PM
Is this roundtrip?

You won't know how long 100 miles is until you ride 100 miles. Sounds stupid, but true. After the first century, the next one is shorter!

Lots of good advice here already. Most of mine echos Mr. Mac's (who has a lot more experience with these things than I do...)

Break it down into four shorter rides, don't ride straight through. Sometimes you have to get off the bike for a minute to realize you have an issue you're not dealing with. That probably won't be the case in the beginning of the ride, but later certainly.

Remember to drink. Early and often. Even if it's cool in the morning and you don't feel like you're perspiring, you are. Make sure you don't dehydrate early in the ride and have to make up for it later...because you can't and dehydration robs you of energy.

Eat real food. Eat early, eat often. If you're going to slack on eating real food, wait until the end of the ride, not the beginning. On your first century waiting until lunchtime to grab something real is just too late. A century is not the place to diet or experiment. Eat a good balanced breakfast before you go, grab a banana before you clip in, eat half an energy bar of some sort on the way to the first rest stop. Snag more food there. I usually drink just water, but I'll grab a gatorade around lunch time and go half and half for the last half of the ride. Remember that if you're like most people your body is programmed to get real food at certain times of the day...sounds silly, but I've found if I don't give mine lunch of somewhat real food by lunch time in the day I loose a lot of ground energy wise later in the ride.
Planning on riding the whole thing on gu? You're gonna get sick of gu by mile 60.
I ride with the disadvantage of celiac sprue. I can't eat anything with wheat oats barley or rye. So the only thing I can have at most rest stops is peanut butter on bananas. Sound strange, looks worse, works.

Do not spend any more than 5-10 minutes at a rest stop. Even if you wait in line for the portajohn, wait in line for food, wait in line for water, and thanking the volunteers if you're so inclined ...you should be out of the place and back on your bike in under 10 even if you're riding with a large group.

An addendum to that is if you feel that you need to sit down and cool off or take care of some other issue, do it. If your body is telling you that you need to get off the bike and it could be serious? Take the break. But socializing? wait until after the ride for off-the-bike chit chat.

Chamois butter is your friend.

Ride at your own pace and keep it consistant otherwise you'll blast the first 1/4, ride hard the second 1/4, slow the third 1/4, and slog through the last 25...

Don't worry about your elapsed ride time. Get there when you get there. What the heck else are you doing with your day? Your first century is something you will improve upon during your second century.

Good luck!
Old 09-07-2005, 03:42 PM

Not half as bad as my first marathon

I agree with most all of the afore mentioned comments regarding pacing, proper hydration and energy suppliments and stops every 20 to 25 miles for stretching. However I've found that my butt seems to be my most limiting factor as I seem to have a 70 to 80 mile a$$ regardless of training. So add to the list your most comfortable shorts, some brand of chamois cream and most importantly of all, a saddle that works for you. I'm currently trying to convince my butt that my new Brooks B17 actually feels good.

Sam in Cincy
Old 09-07-2005, 04:02 PM

Bro your going to have a great time there will so many riders by the time you think how you feel you'll be at 100k. Take Steve up on his offer for help he knows how to help 1 st timers.I find sometimes you go in stages like this 50 miles great 20 miles little weird 20 miles good 10 miles tired.I help this helps and I wish I were doing it, sounds like fun.Cheers
Old 09-07-2005, 04:34 PM
ZhugeLiang

Great advice abounds!
Just wanna add one thing: Make sure you have a Plan B
Old 09-07-2005, 05:00 PM

My first full century happened because I missed the turnoff for the metric option. I'd never done more than a metric before and only two of those, so I was a bit concerned, but I had no problems. But I agree with all the others - eat, eat, eat; drink, drink, drink. I try to limit my time at most rest stops, but usually take 15-20 minutes at the one around the 60 mile mark for a decent lunch, a rest, and a stretch. My legs are usually really tight when I start back up, but it only takes 5-10 minutes to get back to feeling OK and I find the break pretty necessary at that point - you've already done a pretty long ride and you still have a long way to go.

Another strategy that I've found works for limiting your effort early and not blowing late is to make a conscious effort to ride in one gear lower than the one that feels right. I've actually surprised myself by doing some of my faster centuries this way and finished feeling pretty fresh. Also, accept that there probably will be a rough spell at some point. I still have this happen on almost every century I ride and I've done quite a few over the past 8-9 years. If it happens at the end, you just have to gut it out, but if it happens early, just take it easy and trust that you'll get through it and feel better later. I once had it happen at the 30 mile mark and was sure I wasn't going to finish, but I finished going hard and feeling great, so you never know.

And, most of all, have FUN!

-Ray
Old 09-07-2005, 05:38 PM

Whoah!

Thanks for all the replies .

1st time on a century but I find out that I cant have most foods or drinks when I start riding otherwise my stomach gets kind of weird and ....... So I'll probably have some water and hope for the best.

I was hoping to ride the whole 100 miles non-stop. Might take something small and edible though. Not sure about the water, might have to ration it out. I would get one of those Camelbaks but I think after awhile, anything on my back would make me lose my mind .

Worse of all, I actually have to finish this kind of fast since I need to go to work right after. Ride starts at 6am for the 100milers. Hope I can do it in 5-6 hrs. Ride back home, shower, and go to work. Think I better keep 3 bottles of asprin handy.
"But arent you at home?"
"Yea"
Old 09-07-2005, 05:53 PM

Get in the front group. They usually finish in less than 4 hours.

A hundred miles sounds hard, but its not.

Eat, drink and be merry. This is not the RAAM we're talking about here. Don't stop too much. Maybe once, after the halfway point.

Drink a lot, but don't overhydrate. It can be dangerous.

I have not yet done a hundred mile ride this year. I am bummed. Maybe Friday.
Old 09-07-2005, 05:56 PM
CalfeeFly

I once read if you eat and drink enough doing a century is very doable for a rider doing the distances you have done. This is assuming that you have some decent base miles in for the year. Good luck and get an early start since you are on a schedule.
Old 09-07-2005, 05:59 PM
Ride 'yer bike.

Quote:
Originally Posted by saab2000
Get in the front group. They usually finish in less than 4 hours.
Who are these guys???