A piece of thin paracord to get the saddle straight
Tape measure for saddle height
Contact lens case with grease and/or assembly paste
Disc brake pad spacers
Gloves
Old 03-05-2024, 02:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by C40_guy View Post
Just be aware...full size pedal wrenches do not make it through TSA checkpoints.
slightly OT, but IME when packing a full sized pedal wrench flush against the side of a checked suitcase - TSA or equivalent always inspected luggage.

Never inspected since now said pedal wrench is put in a plastic presentation envelope placed in the middle (on top of stuff in suitcase). Probably because profile must be clear.
Old 03-05-2024, 04:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rowebr View Post
Ha I also had a wrench confiscated! Did the TSA folks measure the length of your wrench? I was told mine was an inch too long, or something like that, rules are rules I guess...
I had a wrench confiscated. And then on the way back I had the open end wrench that I had bought to replace it at my original destination confiscated because I forgot to throw it in the box with the bike.

I asked the agent *** could I possibly do with a small open end 8mm wrench. She said you could put it in your hand and conk a crew member over the head. She said imagine brass knuckles.

Whatever, but now I remember to ALWAYS put the Silca torque wrench little thing and bits, the two or three allen keys, the NFS lube bottle, and the open end wrench in a bag lashed down inside the box with the bike so it doesn’t move around and damage anything. I figure if I ever need anything else, there will be an LBS.

Last edited by htwoopup; 03-05-2024 at 05:01 PM.
Old 03-05-2024, 06:11 PM
#RYFB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Likes2ridefar View Post
This Wera bike multi tool kit may be overkill but I find it useful at home:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Man, that thing almost makes me wish I were starting my tool kit from scratch.
Old 03-05-2024, 07:49 PM

Here’s my take on it:

https://mamilmusings.com/traveling-w...ii-what-a-tool
Old 03-05-2024, 10:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hakkalugi View Post
I had never seen the wolftooth pack pliers before - I will be getting them. Thanks!

This mini chain plier would be really nice to have if you are on an extended tour where the smallness of your tool collection (and everything else) really matters. In that spirit, I have wondered if there is a mini version of a cable cutter that can cut shift and brake cables? I once had to replace a shift cable on a tour and when I was done I had a foot or two of excess shift cable hanging off derailleur but no way to cut it. I ended up winding it up into a ring and wrapping it with electrical tape to keep it from unwinding - but I wished I had a mini cutter.
Old 03-05-2024, 10:59 PM

smallest cable cutter i've ever seen

I own one of these that I got when I worked in a bike shop in 1973. They still work damn good and could easily be considered for travel. Vintage now but you can find them:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/404654158726

Quote:
Originally Posted by roydyates View Post
I had never seen the wolftooth pack pliers before - I will be getting them. Thanks!

This mini chain plier would be really nice to have if you are on an extended tour where the smallness of your tool collection (and everything else) really matters. In that spirit, I have wondered if there is a mini version of a cable cutter that can cut shift and brake cables? I once had to replace a shift cable on a tour and when I was done I had a foot or two of excess shift cable hanging off derailleur but no way to cut it. I ended up winding it up into a ring and wrapping it with electrical tape to keep it from unwinding - but I wished I had a mini cutter.
Old 03-06-2024, 07:25 AM

The Leatherman Micra I bring could certainly cut a cable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by roydyates View Post

Old 03-06-2024, 07:32 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hakkalugi View Post
The Leatherman Micra I bring could certainly cut a cable.
I highly doubt the scissor on a micra would be able to cut a brake cable.

The crossgrip that I carry on the other hand, same size as the micra, would do it.

Old 03-06-2024, 08:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckfifty View Post
Fix it stick ratchet t-way wrench with wera bit set and topeak torqbox
Wolftooth pack wrench with 8mm hex and lockring insert
A piece of thin paracord to get the saddle straight
Tape measure for saddle height
Contact lens case with grease and/or assembly paste
Disc brake pad spacers
Gloves
That looks concise but how does the paracord work?
Old 03-06-2024, 08:40 AM

The one unique tool in my S&S tool kit is an Abbey Tools Whip-it cassette tool paired with the single sided Crombie tool. One handle slides into the other handle to save space. Goes in a velcro sleeve, same stuff used to cover the frame tubes.

Otherwise, basic L Allen wrenches, a small lithium grease tube, latex gloves, the S&S spanner, etc. The allen wrench for pedals is part of the multitool that goes in my saddle bag.
Old 03-06-2024, 01:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by charliedid View Post
That looks concise but how does the paracord work?
Not super scientific but will probably get you 90% of the way there. I stretch the cord from the center of the back end the saddle, across the nose, and then to the headset cap. I eyeball and see if it lays dead center of the nose. Repeat a few times to make sure
Old 03-06-2024, 01:23 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by tv_vt View Post
The one unique tool in my S&S tool kit is an Abbey Tools Whip-it cassette tool paired with the single sided Crombie tool. One handle slides into the other handle to save space. Goes in a velcro sleeve, same stuff used to cover the frame tubes.
I have never considered taking the tools to change a cassette with my travel bike. Is there some reason you bring these along?
Old 03-06-2024, 03:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryScientist View Post
I have never considered taking the tools to change a cassette with my travel bike. Is there some reason you bring these along?
I'd only consider it if also bringing spare spokes. Generally you need to pull the cassette to replace a spoke on the rear wheel. Still probably wouldn't bring one myself.
Old 03-06-2024, 03:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckfifty View Post
Not super scientific but will probably get you 90% of the way there. I stretch the cord from the center of the back end the saddle, across the nose, and then to the headset cap. I eyeball and see if it lays dead center of the nose. Repeat a few times to make sure
Thought so. Thanks