Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 12-14-2022, 07:46 AM

Last edited by palincss; 12-14-2022 at 07:48 AM. Reason: picture already posted
Old 12-14-2022, 09:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waldo62 View Post
never mind
I'm glad we could clear this up. For future reference, we try to make it easy and efficient to contact us about an order with Rene Herse Cycles. The top menu bar on our website has, front and center, "Order Help"

https://www.renehersecycles.com/faq_cat/orders-faq/

We use forms so that your request immediately gets associated with your order, so that our customer service can give you a timely response without having to ask for more information. This also routes your request to the right person, whether it's a question about an order or a warranty request. If the request is handed off to somebody else—in these Covid times, that happens more often than we'd like—that person can see the previous conversation. That way, you don't have to wait until the original employee you dealt with is back, which can take 7-10 days. We think all this makes for better customer service, even if filling out a form is less convenient than picking up the phone and asking the person who picks up: "Where's my order?" and when we ask "What's your order number?" half the time the customers didn't know.

One problem we see all to often—especially with customers who use hotmail or Microsoft email software—is that our messages get stuck in the spam folder. If you contact us via the website, you should get a email acknowledging receipt. If you don't get a timely response after that, check your spam folder. That's also where our message if there's a problem or delay may end up...

We're trying hard to do the best we can. The supply situation is still difficult, shipping is still unpredictable, employees still get sick with Covid, and many of our parts don't just get delivered ready to ship, but need to be checked individually, assembled, etc. Hopefully all this will get better soon—most items are either in stock or on the way.

Thanks for listening (reading).

Jan Heine
Rene Herse Cycles
Old 12-14-2022, 10:59 AM

Thanks for I’m the info, I still wish you had a phone number. I know it is burdensome to be on call but email isn’t a great replacement for a conversation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jan Heine View Post
I'm glad we could clear this up. For future reference, we try to make it easy and efficient to contact us about an order with Rene Herse Cycles. The top menu bar on our website has, front and center, "Order Help"

https://www.renehersecycles.com/faq_cat/orders-faq/

We use forms so that your request immediately gets associated with your order, so that our customer service can give you a timely response without having to ask for more information. This also routes your request to the right person, whether it's a question about an order or a warranty request. If the request is handed off to somebody else—in these Covid times, that happens more often than we'd like—that person can see the previous conversation. That way, you don't have to wait until the original employee you dealt with is back, which can take 7-10 days. We think all this makes for better customer service, even if filling out a form is less convenient than picking up the phone and asking the person who picks up: "Where's my order?" and when we ask "What's your order number?" half the time the customers didn't know.

One problem we see all to often—especially with customers who use hotmail or Microsoft email software—is that our messages get stuck in the spam folder. If you contact us via the website, you should get a email acknowledging receipt. If you don't get a timely response after that, check your spam folder. That's also where our message if there's a problem or delay may end up...

We're trying hard to do the best we can. The supply situation is still difficult, shipping is still unpredictable, employees still get sick with Covid, and many of our parts don't just get delivered ready to ship, but need to be checked individually, assembled, etc. Hopefully all this will get better soon—most items are either in stock or on the way.

Thanks for listening (reading).

Jan Heine
Rene Herse Cycles
Old 12-14-2022, 07:05 PM
n - 1

Not sure if this was covered but are these any less (or more) susceptible to trail/crash damage?
Old 12-14-2022, 08:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by p nut View Post
Not sure if this was covered but are these any less (or more) susceptible to trail/crash damage?
Yes, at least according to Jan.
Quote:
The under-chainstay location tucks the derailleur out of the way, so it’s protected from damage. The Nivex doesn’t touch the ground at all when you lay down the bike (or when it falls over). Good-bye to bent derailleur hangers! Since the derailleur is in front of the cassette, rather than underneath, there’s also more ground clearance: useful when riding across rough terrain. And the parallelogram sits further inward, so it’s less likely to get damaged when you ride close to rocks.
Old 12-14-2022, 09:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by p nut View Post
They should be less susceptible because they're tucked under the chain stay. If the bike goes down they're not out where they're likely to actually hit the ground.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rene Herse Journal
The Nivex is located underneath the chainstay. This allows for open cable to run all the way from the shift lever to the derailleur. Less friction, less flex, more direct action are the result. This also makes the derailleur totally impervious to mud—as I was able to confirm during this year’s incredibly muddy Unbound XL 350-mile race.

The under-chainstay location tucks the derailleur out of the way, so it’s protected from damage. The Nivex doesn’t touch the ground at all when you lay down the bike (or when it falls over). Good-bye to bent derailleur hangers! Since the derailleur is in front of the cassette, rather than underneath, there’s also more ground clearance: useful when riding across rough terrain. And the parallelogram sits further inward, so it’s less likely to get damaged when you ride close to rocks.

-- https://www.renehersecycles.com/nive...eurs-are-here/
Old 12-15-2022, 02:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marciero View Post
... and gone. At least listed as out of stock.
But... fear not Paceliners- ETA early January on the next batch...
Old 12-15-2022, 05:58 PM

ya know JH showing up to give some deets and try to clear up any confusion is a classy move considering the vitriol he gets on this forum from some folks. respect.
Old 12-15-2022, 06:55 PM

I forgot I didn't want to post in this topic

Last edited by spoonrobot; 12-15-2022 at 07:02 PM.
Old 12-16-2022, 10:30 AM

What's old is new again. The Herse Nivex Derallieur is certainly something different in this age of electronic shifting. I initially scoffed at the price, but then realized that the derailleur and shifter, coupled with a crankset (RH or other), brake levers, brakes, and cassette, are not much more than some higher priced groupsets. Of course, there is the matter of a custom frame, etc. But it does rerpresent another interesting option (albeit in a niche market). I applaud Jan for his efforts.

Last edited by edward12; 12-16-2022 at 10:36 AM.
Old 12-16-2022, 11:31 AM

The concept (direct control in both directions) is cool. If there's a good solution for maintaining cable tension, then even cooler, although a well-designed spring-based system has a lot of practical advantage as well.

Simple mechanical designs sometimes have limitations that can be overcome by new materials, for example, or other things rendering an "old" or "obsolete" design fresh again.

If it was possible to design a dual-cable ratchet design for modern shifting ergonomics (shifting co-located with the brake levers) that'd be something. Of course then you have a spring again, albeit in a little different form.
Old 12-16-2022, 12:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgates66 View Post
The concept (direct control in both directions) is cool. If there's a good solution for maintaining cable tension, then even cooler, although a well-designed spring-based system has a lot of practical advantage as well.

Simple mechanical designs sometimes have limitations that can be overcome by new materials, for example, or other things rendering an "old" or "obsolete" design fresh again.

If it was possible to design a dual-cable ratchet design for modern shifting ergonomics (shifting co-located with the brake levers) that'd be something. Of course then you have a spring again, albeit in a little different form.
In the 1970s (pre-indexed shifting days), Shimano had a derailleur with no return spring called the Lark-W which used dual cables. Shifting was controlled by a twist grip shifter (this was well before SRAM's GripShift system). This system never got very far. I see no reason that a modern brifter with dual control levers couldn't be made, but the disadvantages would likely outweigh the advantages.

Old 12-16-2022, 09:46 PM

Long ago, back in the 90's, I wondered why dual cables couldn't be run through a single cable housing with an "8"-shaped liner inside.

Spring tension acting on a cable is always a friction-multiplier. So without sprung tension, the cabling might(?) better tolerate contamination.

Developing a dual-cable housing doesn't seem like a huge hurdle, except in the context of low-volume demand.
It's existence in the market might prompt others to take advantage of what it can do, but yeah there would be the issue of the non-standard ferrules and cable stops.
With reduced friction, the cables could/should be made a bit thinner, without incurring any noticeable drop in performance.
Old 12-16-2022, 09:53 PM
mentholated

why didnt acros hydraulic shifters catch on?
Old 12-16-2022, 11:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GOTHBROOKS View Post
why didnt acros hydraulic shifters catch on?
I never tried them, but it would be a very tall order for them to develop a hydraulic shifter and derailer to the standards met by SRAM's and Shimano's R&D staffs, then sold at competitive prices.

Campagnolo was able to tap Magura's R&D expertise for their hydraulic brake efforts.

Does a smaller company stand a chance?