Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

View Poll Results: Real or Sus?
Real 95 67.86%
Sus 45 32.14%
Voters: 140. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-30-2024, 09:10 AM

Is Pogacar the real deal or is it all sus?

As a racing personality I enjoy watching him race, but I am now bored with him and I suspect Paceliners are too. I mean look at the lack of commentary on this past weeks WC’s, its like it was a forgone conclusion and everyone tuned out. He’s just at another level and the gap is huge. I used to think there was no way he could win Roubaix and now I think it’s his race if that’s what he decides to do next year.
Old 09-30-2024, 09:29 AM

I was thinking the same thing, I am pretty sure that if he wanted to he could win P-R.
I think the only thing that he can't win are big bunch sprints.
Old 09-30-2024, 09:34 AM

Is your question whether or not? I think Pogacar is taking banned substance that none of other competitors are taking?

I think that's extremely unlikely.

Is your question that Pogacar is taking banned substances and his competitors are too?

I don't know.

Is your question that Pogacar is doing something that isn't banned now but will be in the future and none of his competitors are?

Again, extremely unlikely.

Is your question that Pogacar is doing something that isn't banned now but will be in the future, and lots of other riders are too? Seems likely.

Success at the highest levels of cycling, like most sports, is driven largely by genetics. But it's much less obvious who has the genes compared to a sport like basketball, and the number of people who even try the sport is very small compared to it's like running or soccer.

So it doesn't seem that unreasonable to think at any given point in time one athlete can stand substantially above the rest. If Peter Sagan could have dropped 20 lb without losing power, I think he would have had a similar career.
Old 09-30-2024, 09:37 AM

Give me all Pogi all the time. I like watching him win, and frankly, don't care how he does it.
Old 09-30-2024, 09:37 AM

I just enjoy the racing.

Funny/odd how JM714 is now bored with him??
Old 09-30-2024, 09:38 AM
Registered (ab)User

In this context I have no idea what "sus" even means.
"Suspect"?

I like Tadej, I enjoy watching him race. :::shrugs:::
Old 09-30-2024, 09:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by adub View Post
I just enjoy the racing.

Why is it funny/odd? The Giro was boring, the Tour was boring, I think the Vuelta would’ve been boring if he went to it, the last 100 k’s were boring yesterday too. Once he went it was over.

Last year the WC was exciting to watch. Now this year he is clearly the best bike rider on the planet.

I just have a hard time wrapping my head around Pogacar being so clearly better on whatever the terrraine is.

I think its ironic that any post on facebook from the cycling publications about Joans is filled with comments from Pogacar supporters saying he’s doped to the gills, but god forbid you question Pogacar.
Old 09-30-2024, 09:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jm714 View Post
Why is it funny/odd? The Giro was boring, the Tour was boring, I think the Vuelta would’ve been boring if he went to it, the last 100 k’s were boring yesterday too. Once he went it was over.
I kind of agree. Tadej has even said this - it's more fun when Jonas is up to his full capability. Pog is amazing, and it is usually inspiring to watch him kick, but I agree that if he's in the race, his win is a foregone conclusion.
Old 09-30-2024, 10:14 AM

It depends on the course. He has a high W/kg ratio so multiweek tours with lots of climbing or a world championship race with 14K feet of climbing, they both allow him to play to his strength. A flatter course would likely mean a pack sprint, even if the pack is small, which won't play to his strength. Someone mentioned P-R, that race typically works out for powerful riders, not waifish climbers. If Pogacar was to stay with the front group, he would likely have a good view of the sprint as the front riders moved away.
Old 09-30-2024, 10:25 AM

I'm enjoying the Pog show until there is a reason not to. Seems like a nice guy. Unlike whatisname.
Old 09-30-2024, 10:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonW87 View Post
I'm enjoying the Pog show until there is a reason not to. Seems like a nice guy. Unlike whatisname.
Vingegaard's not so bad. Just a little quiet.
Old 09-30-2024, 10:31 AM

Imagine watching what could end up being the greatest cyclist of all time while complaining he wins too much. Hahahaha

Clearly there are a lot of fair weather cycling fans on Paceline.

He does win a lot on pretty much every type of parcours. He does it with panache and humility. Always the first to congratulate his competitors when they best him.
Old 09-30-2024, 10:34 AM

I have absolutely no idea if he's doping or what any of the other top pros are doing. None of us do. Lance had the best team, the best training and the best doping - if micro doping is in play then I have to think UAE has the best of that, too. Who knows, but whether it's that or marginal gains they and Pog are beating everyone else. More importantly (and selfishly) I am definitely bored with him even though I agree with all the positives about him. The current generation of cycling superstars are very fun to watch in general. But I'd love to see it spread around more and for all the top guys to stay healthy in 2025.

PS - Women's racing has been and continues to be more fun to watch the last few years, CX included.
Old 09-30-2024, 10:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by adub View Post
I just enjoy the racing.

Not really.
We tend to cheer the Superman on the way up, marvel at him being that good, then tire of him and hope someone can come along to tear him down.
The cycle is there in every sport and all walks of life. Dominance is dull, unless you are a fan of the dominant team/person.
Old 09-30-2024, 10:46 AM

This might be controversial, but I think we should just allow PED’s in sports and see how fast people can go

Tags
le dopage, too good to be true