Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight


Go Back   The Paceline Forum > Marketplace > Classifieds (Cycling Products)

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #2266  
Old 04-27-2020, 07:16 AM
alancw3 alancw3 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Ashburn, Va
Posts: 2,508
Quote:
Originally Posted by chismog View Post
In 2001 my wife and I did a bike tour in Tuscany. We were riding along and happened upon the Simoncini bike factory, and stopped to check it out and top off our tires. The place was filled with hundreds of frames. This old guy comes out speaking italian and trying to figure out what we want, sees me admiring the frames. He points to this head tube and then points to himself, and smiles. We've met the Master.

Then he squeezes my tire and insists I have enough and won't give me air.

Treasured memory.

wow! that is a classic pic. I was looking at some Simoncini info online and pics of the factory. some of that machinery is massive. they. don't make machinery like that anymore. thanks for sharing.
__________________
ILLEGITIMUS NON CARBORUNDUM
''Don't Let The Bastards Grind You Down''
Reply With Quote
  #2267  
Old 04-27-2020, 12:09 PM
mhespenheide mhespenheide is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Burien, WA
Posts: 5,815
Palo Alto vintage bike, ~60cm: $350 in San Jose area



https://sfbay.craigslist.org/sby/bik...112358333.html

"Vintage 1984 Palo Alto Bicycles lugged road bike with lots of character. Quality made frameset with Italian Columbus tubing and Columbus decals. Shimano 600 component group set (engraved derailleurs, cranks, shifters, brakes, brake levers), and Mavic MA2 700c clincher rims.
(See all pictures for more detail). Ignore 'frame size' info, does not allow me to change.

Very good condition road bike with smooth ride quality, no dents, clean paint (few scratches), clean logos, and straight. The paint has a few scratches from regular use, but clean overall. “Burn orange” of color (See Pictures). The bike looks very good ready to ride.

Price is $350.00 as is, not warranty. See pictures as description."

**

Bad description and bad measurements, but I think someone here was looking for a 60cm "Palo Alto" frameset or bike. If I haven't totally mis-remembered that, here's a lead.
Reply With Quote
  #2268  
Old 04-27-2020, 09:23 PM
Elefantino's Avatar
Elefantino Elefantino is offline
50 bpm
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Pittsboro, NC
Posts: 10,292
Big Legend, somewhat chowdered fork.
.
__________________
©2004 The Elefantino Corp. All rights reserved.
Reply With Quote
  #2269  
Old 04-28-2020, 03:17 PM
Elefantino's Avatar
Elefantino Elefantino is offline
50 bpm
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Pittsboro, NC
Posts: 10,292
Two bids on the Meivici so far. Hope someone here gets it!


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
__________________
©2004 The Elefantino Corp. All rights reserved.
Reply With Quote
  #2270  
Old 04-28-2020, 06:51 PM
VanBikeGuy VanBikeGuy is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Vancouver, B.C.
Posts: 654
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elefantino View Post
Two bids on the Meivici so far. Hope someone here gets it!


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
All,

I corresponded a lot with the seller and he was pretty confident in the 76 degree seat angle and 44cm reach. He says it was custom built for him, with more tried angles to suit him. That takes me out, but thought I would mention it as the pics don't make it look like a 76 degrees, but the he twice confirmed the reach at 44cm, so it makes more sense that the seat angle might be correct.
Reply With Quote
  #2271  
Old 04-28-2020, 09:18 PM
Jeff N. Jeff N. is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: San Diego, CA
Posts: 10,557
Quote:
Originally Posted by billyd0012 View Post
All,

I corresponded a lot with the seller and he was pretty confident in the 76 degree seat angle and 44cm reach. He says it was custom built for him, with more tried angles to suit him. That takes me out, but thought I would mention it as the pics don't make it look like a 76 degrees, but the he twice confirmed the reach at 44cm, so it makes more sense that the seat angle might be correct.
That seat tube angle does look pretty steep...to my eyes, anyway.
Reply With Quote
  #2272  
Old 04-29-2020, 07:27 PM
Elefantino's Avatar
Elefantino Elefantino is offline
50 bpm
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Pittsboro, NC
Posts: 10,292
Great googly moogly ... A C50 with SR EPS and Cosmic Carbones. And maybe a 150 stem!
.
__________________
©2004 The Elefantino Corp. All rights reserved.
Reply With Quote
  #2273  
Old 04-29-2020, 08:13 PM
smontanaro smontanaro is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Evanston, IL
Posts: 1,601
I'm sure I'm just showing my age, but that C50 is kind of hard on my eyes.
Reply With Quote
  #2274  
Old 04-29-2020, 09:10 PM
Elefantino's Avatar
Elefantino Elefantino is offline
50 bpm
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Pittsboro, NC
Posts: 10,292
Quote:
Originally Posted by smontanaro View Post
I'm sure I'm just showing my age, but that C50 is kind of hard on my eyes.
I am REALLY showing my age (my quarantine beard is solid white) but if I had a spare $2-ish K I'd tap that baby in a second. With the loudest yellow jersey I could find. Wish I still had my yellow Voler bib shorts, too!
__________________
©2004 The Elefantino Corp. All rights reserved.
Reply With Quote
  #2275  
Old 04-29-2020, 10:05 PM
Clean39T Clean39T is online now
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 18,682
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elefantino View Post
I am REALLY showing my age (my quarantine beard is solid white) but if I had a spare $2-ish K I'd tap that baby in a second. With the loudest yellow jersey I could find. Wish I still had my yellow Voler bib shorts, too!
I'd put some more modern Mavics on there - like the TdF edition Cosmics... Still ties in the yellow, but more subtly.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
__________________
Io non posso vivere senza la mia strada e la mia bici -- DP
Reply With Quote
  #2276  
Old 04-30-2020, 01:00 AM
VanBikeGuy VanBikeGuy is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Vancouver, B.C.
Posts: 654
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clean39T View Post
I'd put some more modern Mavics on there - like the TdF edition Cosmics... Still ties in the yellow, but more subtly.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
Looks like they messed with the shifter cable guides though in the front. Doesn't look like it could go back to mechanical.
Reply With Quote
  #2277  
Old 04-30-2020, 01:34 AM
Clean39T Clean39T is online now
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 18,682
Quote:
Originally Posted by billyd0012 View Post
Looks like they messed with the shifter cable guides though in the front. Doesn't look like it could go back to mechanical.
Well if it's matchy-matchy you want, this one is coming down in price pretty nicely.....

https://denver.craigslist.org/bik/d/...098547816.html

Reply With Quote
  #2278  
Old 04-30-2020, 07:06 AM
alancw3 alancw3 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Ashburn, Va
Posts: 2,508
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elefantino View Post
Great googly moogly ... A C50 with SR EPS and Cosmic Carbones. And maybe a 150 stem!
.
I think that is the longest stem I have ever seen on a bike.
__________________
ILLEGITIMUS NON CARBORUNDUM
''Don't Let The Bastards Grind You Down''
Reply With Quote
  #2279  
Old 04-30-2020, 07:34 AM
yarbsr02 yarbsr02 is online now
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2019
Location: Charlottesville, VA
Posts: 301
Tempted by that C50, but lots of details not given, and it looks like something snacked on the rear derailleur and cable insertion. If anyone can check my research, is the TT on that 58.2cm?
Reply With Quote
  #2280  
Old 04-30-2020, 07:54 AM
alancw3 alancw3 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Ashburn, Va
Posts: 2,508
Quote:
Originally Posted by yarbsr02 View Post
Tempted by that C50, but lots of details not given, and it looks like something snacked on the rear derailleur and cable insertion. If anyone can check my research, is the TT on that 58.2cm?
that is what I came up with in researching also. a relatively short top tube in today's standards.
__________________
ILLEGITIMUS NON CARBORUNDUM
''Don't Let The Bastards Grind You Down''

Last edited by alancw3; 04-30-2020 at 09:10 AM.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:24 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2023, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.