Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight


Go Back   The Paceline Forum > Image Gallery > The Showcase

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #196  
Old 05-19-2012, 08:45 AM
Tyler Evans's Avatar
Tyler Evans Tyler Evans is offline
Framebuilder
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Boston
Posts: 453
Titanium29'er

Titanium 29'er...















.
__________________
Tyler Evans | Framebuilder | Firefly Bicycles | Boston
Reply With Quote
  #197  
Old 05-21-2012, 03:11 PM
John H. John H. is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 4,614
ISP question

Tyler,
Would you say that your frame with ISP, PF30 bb, 44mm headtube for tapered fork and butted tubeset would be considered the Firefly incarnation of the "factory lightweight"?
I am asking because I am considering a frame like that vs. a classic frame with standard post, threaded bb, 11/8 headtube.
Anything else new coming from you guys that will make me wish I had waited?
Reply With Quote
  #198  
Old 05-21-2012, 07:44 PM
Tyler Evans's Avatar
Tyler Evans Tyler Evans is offline
Framebuilder
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Boston
Posts: 453
Quote:
Originally Posted by John H. View Post
Tyler,
Would you say that your frame with ISP, PF30 bb, 44mm headtube for tapered fork and butted tubeset would be considered the Firefly incarnation of the "factory lightweight"?
I am asking because I am considering a frame like that vs. a classic frame with standard post, threaded bb, 11/8 headtube.
Anything else new coming from you guys that will make me wish I had waited?
Hey John,

We have chosen to not have models. We intentionally only have types (MTN, Road, Cross, etc...) and even those we only consider departure points.

Any bike we build couldn't be considered anything other than a bike built to suit the needs of the individual customer and the intended use.

I wouldn't know what options to recommend to you without first having a conversation about a bunch of things.

Tyler.
__________________
Tyler Evans | Framebuilder | Firefly Bicycles | Boston
Reply With Quote
  #199  
Old 05-21-2012, 09:33 PM
joep2517 joep2517 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Winter Garden, FL
Posts: 724
Hey John,

I can tell you I've been working with Kevin getting my specs and riding style to determine what my bike will be and it's been amazing working with these guys. I know you were wondering about something new but I can tell you they've been great to work with so far. I'm still not 100% with my future ride, yet I can't wait for delivery.

Joe
Reply With Quote
  #200  
Old 05-22-2012, 10:39 AM
Dave B's Avatar
Dave B Dave B is offline
Ex-Mr.President
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: NE of Indianapolis
Posts: 5,832
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyler Evans View Post
Hey John,

We have chosen to not have models. We intentionally only have types (MTN, Road, Cross, etc...) and even those we only consider departure points.

Any bike we build couldn't be considered anything other than a bike built to suit the needs of the individual customer and the intended use.

I wouldn't know what options to recommend to you without first having a conversation about a bunch of things.

Tyler.


This needs to be on the front page of the website!

On any custom bike website actually.
Reply With Quote
  #201  
Old 05-22-2012, 02:08 PM
garth garth is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Redondo Beach, CA
Posts: 362
Tyler... each time I look at this thread I get more and more impressed with your creativity in regards to anodizing. Just when I think you can't raise the bar any higher, especially after Jack's ISP 29er, you come up with something even better.

If you keep on hitting these home runs I'll be ordering up a frame by the end of the summer.
Reply With Quote
  #202  
Old 05-22-2012, 03:14 PM
dyerwolf's Avatar
dyerwolf dyerwolf is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Formerly North Shore, MA. Now Pleasanton, CA
Posts: 458
Tyler- Outstanding work. It's good to see Summahvil's still kicking out awesome work. Obviously, New England's most densely packed city still has it going on and thanks to Firefly for keeping the creative industrial spirit burning bright
These precisionwelds are a joy to behold and the frame lines are so eloquent. I'll have to look at getting a way to add a Firefly into my stable soon.
Thanks for sharing.
Evan
__________________
Some Parleeā€™s, Serotta, Moots, Litespeed, and Specialized.
Reply With Quote
  #203  
Old 05-22-2012, 03:38 PM
John H. John H. is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 4,614
Firefly

Firefly fan and deadhead? Parallel universe?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dyerwolf View Post
Tyler- Outstanding work. It's good to see Summahvil's still kicking out awesome work. Obviously, New England's most densely packed city still has it going on and thanks to Firefly for keeping the creative industrial spirit burning bright
These precisionwelds are a joy to behold and the frame lines are so eloquent. I'll have to look at getting a way to add a Firefly into my stable soon.
Thanks for sharing.
Evan
Reply With Quote
  #204  
Old 05-23-2012, 08:09 AM
thinpin thinpin is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Melbourne
Posts: 1,528
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyler Evans View Post
Titanium fat chance mtb circa 1992-3? Still ridden today. Anodized.





I'll work on a real answer later... must build bikes now.

.
Tyler,
Still interested in the real answer.
Reply With Quote
  #205  
Old 05-23-2012, 01:51 PM
Tyler Evans's Avatar
Tyler Evans Tyler Evans is offline
Framebuilder
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Boston
Posts: 453
Quote:
Originally Posted by thinpin View Post
What a show!
I'm fascinated by the anodizing. Leni Fried has beeen doing it for a while now but I notice Seven will not warranty any frame that has been anodized. A quote from their site.


Tyler, what are your thoughts on this?

"A small number of manufactures offer anodizing as a way of decorating the surface of titanium frames (or components). Basically, the process creates a dense, colorful film of titanium oxide, which adheres to the frame's surface. Ironically, this is the same type of oxidation that any skilled titanium welder will prevent at all costs, because it will cause the weld joint to become extremely brittle. (This is why Seven's expert welders bathe both the inside and outside of a titanium frame's weld joints in an inert gas, thereby protecting the molten metal from the high levels of nitrogen and oxygen that naturally occur in the environment.)

The titanium oxide film created by anodizing is, thus, extremely brittle, so the frame's surface cannot flex as it would during normal use. Cracks form through the anodized shell, which will eventually propagate into the tube wall, ultimately causing frame failure.

Seven strongly advises against anodizing titanium. Hence, we will void the lifetime warranty on any Seven frame that has been anodized."
Firstly, I would be curious as to where they get their information... It seems as though they are confusing people. Not all oxides are the same.

Oxides formed by welding: titanium heated over 800 degrees and not properly argon purged binds with Oxygen, Nitrogen and carbon creating a brittle (multi) oxide layer that could lead to crack propagation. Also, oxides created through a contaminated welding process become mixed with the molten metal and em-brittle the entire weld down to the crystalline structure. Not a controllable process.

Oxide formed through the anodizing process: Titanium Dioxide, which naturally occurs on the surface of all titanium exposed to air at room temperature. This is a highly controlled process and results in a layer of titanium dioxide approximately 300-800 nanometers thick depending on color and has no effect on substrate strength.

On a side note, I would not warranty a frame if someone other than us anodized it either... I trust how we do it, not so much others.
__________________
Tyler Evans | Framebuilder | Firefly Bicycles | Boston
Reply With Quote
  #206  
Old 05-23-2012, 02:54 PM
jh_on_the_cape jh_on_the_cape is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Cape Cod, MA
Posts: 2,090
I remember anodizing some ti bars back in the day. i did not get the colors, just brown. but i did stripes by masking.
i did something like this: I used coke and some 9v batteries.
http://www.instructables.com/id/Anodize-Titanium/

warranty VOID!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyler Evans View Post
Firstly, I would be curious as to where they get their information... It seems as though they are confusing people. Not all oxides are the same.

Oxides formed by welding: titanium heated over 800 degrees and not properly argon purged binds with Oxygen, Nitrogen and carbon creating a brittle (multi) oxide layer that could lead to crack propagation. Also, oxides created through a contaminated welding process become mixed with the molten metal and em-brittle the entire weld down to the crystalline structure. Not a controllable process.

Oxide formed through the anodizing process: Titanium Dioxide, which naturally occurs on the surface of all titanium exposed to air at room temperature. This is a highly controlled process and results in a layer of titanium dioxide approximately 300-800 nanometers thick depending on color and has no effect on substrate strength.

On a side note, I would not warranty a frame if someone other than us anodized it either... I trust how we do it, not so much others.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by avalonracing
I don't think I could ever have the words "Soft Machine" so close to my junk.
Reply With Quote
  #207  
Old 05-23-2012, 07:05 PM
thinpin thinpin is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Melbourne
Posts: 1,528
Tyler, thanks for that. It certainly is a very beautiful way to finish a Ti frame.
Reply With Quote
  #208  
Old 05-26-2012, 10:34 AM
Ahneida Ride's Avatar
Ahneida Ride Ahneida Ride is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: near the factory
Posts: 174,236
Hey

Maybe we need a section just for Fire Fly ?



What more can I say? Amazing work !
__________________
www.HandleBra.com
Reply With Quote
  #209  
Old 05-26-2012, 10:42 AM
Tyler Evans's Avatar
Tyler Evans Tyler Evans is offline
Framebuilder
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Boston
Posts: 453
Titanium Road

Titanium Road : Bespoke : London :



















.
__________________
Tyler Evans | Framebuilder | Firefly Bicycles | Boston
Reply With Quote
  #210  
Old 05-28-2012, 06:56 PM
mrk_d mrk_d is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: New Mexico
Posts: 133
Absolutely stunning.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
firefly

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:22 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2023, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.