Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 12-20-2019, 08:23 PM

Impact drivers

This may be like opening up flood gates, but what does everyone use for impact drivers?

I have NEVER owned one before in my life so I am extremely excited and indecisive on what I should get. This is just for general work, nothing too specific... maybe if i could use it for automotive, but i believe that is a no go for these. Id need an impact wrench to do auto properly.

In the past, I had Makita power tools, but it looks like the best bang for your buck(and warranty) is the Milwaukee M18 Fuel.

Any opinions?(rhetorical question)

Old 12-20-2019, 08:39 PM

There are a wide variety of impact drivers from 1/4" hex that are great for torquing the heads off of deck screws to 1/2" and even larger for industrial applications.

I was happy with the industrial line of Milwaukee for years but after 2014 or so they became considerably less durable. If you won't really be using it much any of the mainline brands are fine. If you want to spend a bit more for better performance and durability the main options are industrial Bosch and Metabo. You have to do your homework to know what you're buying as both have some less robust models popular in the big box stores.

Personally for home mechanic use I have switched to the Makita Sub-Compact line. Power, great battery selection and performance and quality tools that so far are holding up great. An advantage of Makita is their 18V batteries can be used as a pair for the 36V heavier tools like the leaf blower and chainsaw, even a string trimmer.

You can absolutely use a cordless for automotive purposes. A 1/2 drive can deliver as much torque you'll ever need for chassis fasteners and wheel studs. In fact they can overdo it and few offer anything resembling an accurate torque setting so torque limiting extensions fill in where you can use them. And then torque your fastener with a proper torque wrench. I have 3/8 drive that is small enough I have used it removing stubborn suspension fasteners.

Last edited by GScot; 12-20-2019 at 08:45 PM.
Old 12-21-2019, 06:39 PM

Thanks for the input everyone. I think I am stuck on the M18. Id probably be fine with the M12 98% of the time, but if im going to even attempt to use it for automotive stuff, I should just cough up the extra dough for the extra power.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GScot View Post
You can absolutely use a cordless for automotive purposes. A 1/2 drive can deliver as much torque you'll ever need for chassis fasteners and wheel studs. In fact they can overdo it and few offer anything resembling an accurate torque setting so torque limiting extensions fill in where you can use them. And then torque your fastener with a proper torque wrench. I have 3/8 drive that is small enough I have used it removing stubborn suspension fasteners.
I might be wrong, but i believe you are talking about impact wrenches, correct? Just going off the fact that you said 1/2" drive. I was asking more about using the 1/4" impact driver for auto stuff
Old 12-21-2019, 06:54 PM

I use my impact driver to tighten lug nuts enough to let the car down from my lift, then it's on to a torque wrench. It's very handy.

I use a 1/2 inch drive air impact wrench to remove lug nuts quickly.

Last edited by Dave; 12-21-2019 at 06:56 PM.
Old 12-21-2019, 07:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fmradio516 View Post
Thanks for the input everyone. I think I am stuck on the M18. Id probably be fine with the M12 98% of the time, but if im going to even attempt to use it for automotive stuff, I should just cough up the extra dough for the extra power.

I might be wrong, but i believe you are talking about impact wrenches, correct? Just going off the fact that you said 1/2" drive. I was asking more about using the 1/4" impact driver for auto stuff
Yes I was referring to 3/8 drive and 1/2 drive impact drivers. There are so many options everything is a possibility. I have one of the 1/4" hex Makita subcompacts and sometimes use it with an adaptor to 1/4" square drive impact sockets. It has enough power to wreck small fasteners if you aren't careful. And being short in front to rear depth it gets into some areas my 1/2" drive can't reach. It won't be torquing wheels but I don't hesitate to use it when I see a reason.
Old 12-21-2019, 08:33 PM

My experience is that something as strong as the M18 line definitely requires a model with multiple speeds. I have a Milwaukee 2553 m12 Fuel with 4 speeds and it is my go-to tool. You would be shocked how powerful this thing is on its highest mode. I also have a Makita 18v with no separate speeds and, although it is a little stronger than the m12, it is best used for nothing but heavy duty work. IMO if you don’t get multiple speeds, you will have a tool that is extremely powerful that is tougher to control.
Old 12-21-2019, 08:39 PM

I've been a Milwaukee user for more than a decade at this point. They seem to hold up better in a metal shop than most other options. I also prefer their ergonomics a little better. We recently picked up a second set of the M12 drill/driver for the shop. We use these a lot for fixture clamps in the CNC and for some assembly tasks as well. The "Fuel" series uses a brush less motor and are supposed to be a little more durable.

Everyone is making pretty good stuff these days, hard to truly make a bad decision.

Steels are Alloys too!
Old 12-21-2019, 09:24 PM

Used Milwaukee daily when I worked construction for 17 years. M18 and M12, excellent tools. Couple M12 batteries died but they had some miles on them. Seeing coworkers use DeWalt and Ryobi, Mickey Mouse garbage.
Old 12-21-2019, 09:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveV0983 View Post
My experience is that something as strong as the M18 line definitely requires a model with multiple speeds. I have a Milwaukee 2553 m12 Fuel with 4 speeds and it is my go-to tool. You would be shocked how powerful this thing is on its highest mode. I also have a Makita 18v with no separate speeds and, although it is a little stronger than the m12, it is best used for nothing but heavy duty work. IMO if you don’t get multiple speeds, you will have a tool that is extremely powerful that is tougher to control.
I believe the M18 has 4 speeds as well.
Old 12-21-2019, 10:18 PM
Riding Along

Since no one has mentioned Bosch I will. Great tools and really in the same legue as Milwaukee. However, their upper end 18v impact drivers have a combined 1/4 and 1/2 head. Tons of torque etc. Going from driver bits to 1/2 sockets in seconds. Very versatile.
Old 12-21-2019, 11:08 PM

I actually just built a bed with a new Ryobi brushless impact, model 238. They're cheap and received excellent reviews. 2200 inch pounds of torque, 3 speeds. I didn't touch the fastest speed to sink 2 and 3" screws into pine. More than enough torque for lug nuts and other car stuff.

With the current deal they're just over $100 with two 3 amp hour batteries, a compact charger, and carrying case.

Last edited by andrew+; 12-21-2019 at 11:11 PM.
Old 12-20-2019, 08:40 PM
Small ring

Quote:
Originally Posted by fmradio516 View Post
This may be like opening up flood gates, but what does everyone use for impact drivers?

I have NEVER owned one before in my life so I am extremely excited and indecisive on what I should get. This is just for general work, nothing too specific... maybe if i could use it for automotive, but i believe that is a no go for these. Id need an impact wrench to do auto properly.

In the past, I had Makita power tools, but it looks like the best bang for your buck(and warranty) is the Milwaukee M18 Fuel.

Any opinions?(rhetorical question)

What size?

One of my kids uses M18, he likes it.

Edit: GScot is the guy you should listen to. He's wicked smart.

Last edited by zmudshark; 12-20-2019 at 08:43 PM.
Old 12-20-2019, 08:46 PM
Boeuf Chane

Do you have a compressor, and are you looking for a pneumatic impact wrench, or an electrical (presumable battery powered) one?
Old 12-20-2019, 08:52 PM

I don't think you can go wrong with any of the big 3 - Makita, Milwaukee, Dewalt.
I have the Makita (combo - drill and impact driver) and like their product. I went with it because the smaller hand grip felt better than the other 2.

Last edited by wc1934; 12-20-2019 at 08:58 PM.
Old 12-20-2019, 09:01 PM

I have Milwaukee in my home work shop and am really impressed with their 1/4” driver and all their other battery operated hand tools. I also work at a very large oil and gas facility and we have a wide range of battery operated tools including Milwaukee, Dewalt and others. Milwaukee generally perform the best and all of the mechanical tradesmen who make their living with hand tools will grab a Milwaukee versus almost anything else. And the tools get the living crap beat out of them. Their 3/4” impact is impressive with ability to bust nuts at 1200 ft-lbs. Can’t go wrong with Milwaukee IMO.