Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old Today, 09:13 AM
Back At It!

Weight Loss Meds (Wegovy, etc)

I know not all of us are not super skinny euro-pro sized riders on here, so has anyone used the current crop of weight loss meds yet?

thanks

Last edited by fourflys; Today at 09:22 AM.
Old Today, 09:17 AM

Interesting topic. I’m curious about the responses.
Old Today, 09:21 AM

My opinion is learn to eat properly, exercise more and with variety, and stay away from the drugs. I don’t buy that the majority of the population is incapable of doing this. For those in the minority that can’t, well, I’m not your guy.
Old Today, 09:33 AM
Back At It!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Likes2ridefar View Post
My opinion is learn to eat properly, exercise more and with variety, and stay away from the drugs. I don’t buy that the majority of the population is incapable of doing this. For those in the minority that can’t, well, I’m not your guy.
I get what you're saying.. but for someone who is 40# over where they need to be, has PTSD (and all that comes from/with that), and works a full 40 hr a week job with full family requirements as well, it can be difficult at best to do all the things.. not trying to have excuses, but there can be many reasons why these meds could be a great option for someone for a while..
Old Today, 09:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Likes2ridefar View Post
I totally get where you’re coming from, but this won’t work with morbidly obese people.
Old Today, 09:39 AM

It doesn't sound like they are particularly compatible with healthy lifestyle adjustments at the same time.

I don't know anyone active who has tried them but I do know other people my age who have tried them or are still on them.

They work but it's all side effects, lack of energy, and it sounds like plenty of lean muscle mass loss along with the fat.
Old Today, 09:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fourflys View Post
I get what you're saying.. but for someone who is 40# over where they need to be, has PTSD (and all that comes from/with that), and works a full 40 hr a week job with full family requirements as well, it can be difficult at best to do all the things.. not trying to have excuses, but there can be many reasons why these meds could be a great option for someone for a while..
Hey aside from ptsd you just described me I work more than 40hrs, and have a daughter in an elite swimming program that is my 2nd job that eats up 5 days a week and 2 plus hours each day.

We cheat a bit and have meal delivery that is healthy and vegetarian but the gym for very basic strength training (xxtwindad convinced me of this, thanks btw), yoga and bike are a priority to ensure I don’t fall apart.

Last edited by Likes2ridefar; Today at 09:45 AM.
Old Today, 09:43 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by XXtwindad View Post
I totally get where you’re coming from, but this won’t work with morbidly obese people.
not so fast there josh.

learning to eat properly and exercise more is a good idea for literally everyone.

It may not get everyone down to skin and bones physique, but it sure would get most closer to their "healthy weight", right?
Old Today, 09:55 AM
Meh

Obesity is a disease, not a moral failing. It may not be a curable disease, but these drugs at least treat some of the symptoms.

I do not think they are very relevant to professional sports as the side effects do not seem compatible with world class athletic performance.
Old Today, 09:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryScientist View Post
not so fast there josh.

learning to eat properly and exercise more is a good idea for literally everyone.

It may not get everyone down to skin and bones physique, but it sure would get most closer to their "healthy weight", right?
I think whether or not this is a question of "learning" gets to the crux of the matter. I'm sure there are people out there who don't have any idea about the mechanics of diet and exercise, but overall, I think education on the topic today is vastly improved over where it was 100 years ago, but obesity today is significantly higher.

There are always exceptions, but most people have some concept of what they should be doing to be healthy, but there are impediments. A large number of people work sedentary jobs where food is abundant. They may know they should eat less, but work is stressful and stress often triggers cravings to eat. Resisting those cravings is itself mentally draining, and at any given point in time, maintaining a healthy diet is often the lowest priority (this is a classic time-inconsistent optimization challenge).

Additionally, people who are already obese may struggle with exercise, because of associated health challenges with being overweight.

What makes these drugs so effective is that they help combat the cravings for food. So eating less is no longer a battle of stress and willpower. In some cases, the drugs work too well and people don't eat enough to properly fuel their bodies. This can present a real challenge for people who are trying to be active, but can be managed.
Old Today, 09:56 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by EB View Post
Obesity is a disease, not a moral failing. .
C'mon.

There is a big difference between someone who is obese and a middle aged cyclist who has packed on a few too many pounds over the years.
Old Today, 09:57 AM

Quote:
not so fast there josh.

Well, this is a complex topic and I certainly can’t pretend to have all the answers.

As a personal trainer, I obviously preach movement and healthy lifestyles. But people who are morbidly obese can’t just “walk it off.” They’re literally imprisoned in their own bodies. They need medical intervention.

On the flip side, if you’re concerned about a little “middle-aged spread,” then you should recalibrate your movement/calorie ratio accordingly.
Old Today, 09:58 AM
Meh

Quote:
C'mon.

There is a big difference between someone who is obese and a middle aged cyclist who has packed on a few too many pounds over the years.
I can hear your moral judgement here.
Old Today, 10:00 AM

Quote:
C'mon.

Packing on a few pounds over the years is how most people end up obese.
Old Today, 10:00 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by prototoast View Post

There are always exceptions, but most people have some concept of what they should be doing to be healthy, but there are impediments. A large number of people work sedentary jobs where food is abundant. They may know they should eat less, but work is stressful and stress often triggers cravings to eat. Resisting those cravings is itself mentally draining, and at any given point in time, maintaining a healthy diet is often the lowest priority .
Endurance sports, like cycling are basically an exercise in getting comfortable being uncomfortable.

If we can train to ride centuries and climb mountains on our bikes, we can train to pass the twinkie plate.