Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 08-02-2021, 12:44 PM

OT: Eviction Moratorium

I've asked several people who I thought would've known the answer to this, but I'm still not getting a good answer. I know there are a ton of folks in here with different housing industry experience so hoping I can find answer here.

This is not an attempt to get into political debate.

That said, I'm curious about this Eviction Moratorium that is ending today. I'm not against credits or vouchers being given to tenants so they're just not out on the street, but are their any sort of credits or vouchers given to the landlords??
Old 08-02-2021, 01:01 PM

Depending on the particulars, landlords are frequently eligible for benefits through the various COVID relief bills (sometimes state, sometimes federal).
Old 08-02-2021, 01:10 PM

I heard a radio article on this yesterday that said that there was some thing for the landlords but that it was mucked up and running late.
Old 08-02-2021, 01:58 PM

When this started last year I knew it would end badly. With rents they way they are now days. No one can pay back a years rent.
Old 08-02-2021, 02:04 PM

Particularly cruel things afoot in Los Angeles where the city council and mayor just passed a bill criminalizing homelessness.
Old 08-02-2021, 02:07 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtbadge View Post
Particularly cruel things afoot in Los Angeles where the city council and mayor just passed a bill criminalizing homelessness.
I'm going to have to read about this one. On the surface this makes very little sense?
Old 08-02-2021, 02:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryScientist View Post
I'm going to have to read about this one. On the surface this makes very little sense?
It's very true. They did not defacto criminalize homelessness, but they did make it criminal to camp on anyplace a homeless person general seeks shelter- sidewalk, underpass, entrance way etc etc... All of limits which in effects, makes legal homelessness all but impossible.... Catilyn Jenner wants to send the homeless to fields outside the city.... maybe she can have the kardashians help.... Let's see how a real world problem works out for them.
Old 08-02-2021, 02:34 PM

I believe all housing relief programs are run by state and local agencies - federal gov't is supplying funds but is not administering any programs themselves. Some other programs have been run by Federal agencies, such as the Shuttered Venue Operators Grant run by the Small Business Administration, but not these.

So the experience of how these are going will vary state to state.
Old 08-02-2021, 02:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ewiser View Post
When this started last year I knew it would end badly. With rents they way they are now days. No one can pay back a years rent.
Right? What's the point of a moratorium if it doesn't actually provide any relief. People who lose their job and can't pay rent for 6+ months can't just come up with thousands of dollars to pay back-rent.
Old 08-02-2021, 02:39 PM
Older Than You

I have a co-worker that owns 6 rental properties. Four tenants are up to date with the rent and the other 2 haven't paid any rent for months. His biggest fear is that when they do get evicted they will trash the place. It's happened to him before.

He's received no compensation money from any state or federal agency. Landlords have bills too.
Old 08-02-2021, 02:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtbadge View Post
On Huntington Drive going Southwest in DTLA from South Pasadena, when you venture through El Sereno. There was a huge encampment on the grassy knoll area. I saw the bill was signed and passed and drove down Huntington and the encampment was gone overnight! Fences up and security guard patrolling.

LA is no longer playing around with the homelessness. The increase in the homeless population exploded overnight during the pandemic. Super sad to witness. I saw young adults living in tents at Echo Park lake. Not sure if that was to support the protests, or if they were actually evicted and living in a tent.
Old 08-02-2021, 02:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by azrider View Post
...but are their any sort of credits or vouchers given to the landlords??
Beyond the PPP loans that many have made out like bandits on..... there's the asset inflation in the housing market that has made collecting rent a rounding error, the tax benefits in multiple areas, and the ability to jack rents to the moon once the legacy tenants are kicked out.
Old 08-02-2021, 02:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by biker72 View Post
I have a co-worker that owns 6 rental properties. Four tenants are up to date with the rent and the other 2 haven't paid any rent for months. His biggest fear is that when they do get evicted they will trash the place. It's happened to him before.

He's received no compensation money from any state or federal agency. Landlords have bills too.
This is the site of the Texas program: https://texasrentrelief.com/ It is available to both renters and landlords.
Old 08-02-2021, 02:45 PM

Quote:
Landlords have bills too.
Why do landlords deserve sympathy for losing money on investment properties? Landlords falling behind on bills don't have to sleep on the street
Old 08-02-2021, 02:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ewiser View Post
You bring up a good point. The folks who are receiving these rent forbearance programs or benefits, they have to actually pay for those months missed back at some point don't they?

Quote:
Landlords have bills too.
This is the point I'm getting at. My wife and I have been toying with the idea of keeping and renting out our current "home" (not condo or apt) and buying another house. Since it's not completely paid off we'd still owe the bank each month but if we happened to get a tenant who couldn't make rent, would we be afforded the same or similar program to help with our loan payment to the bank?
Closed Thread