Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 08-02-2021, 10:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingson View Post
wow, i thought i was the only one.
to my eye, the modern-day, production carbon fiber road bicycle is just about the most idiotic looking thing imaginable. i think design teams really had to work overtime.

lack of external cabling (at the very least, running from the handle bars to the ports in the top/down tubes), dropped seat stays and seatpost/binder mechanisms, head tube/stem junction area that accommodates the internal routing, and the lack of any creativity in paint schemes are big culprits
Ergo.... the thread: "Who is liking and enjoying this move within the industry." Seems plenty are. Maybe some aren't.

Personally - don't view it as a zero-sum game. Horses for courses. Styles for different miles. Etc.
Old 08-02-2021, 11:13 AM

Quote:

lack of external cabling (at the very least, running from the handle bars to the ports in the top/down tubes), dropped seat stays and seatpost/binder mechanisms, head tube/stem junction area that accommodates the internal routing, and the lack of any creativity in paint schemes are big culprits
There are A LOT of ugly bikes out there from all ages. It seems many on this forum see beauty as a very traditional double triangle design. I see that and think slow and pedestrian, and certainly unimaginative. I guess it is just what was popular during your formative years or what you want to do on your bike. I want to go as fast as possible. Fast equals fun for me. So love my new Specialized S7 Tarmac. Has all of those horrible flowing line and hidden cables.
Old 08-02-2021, 11:28 AM
formerly Landshark_98

Quote:
to my eye, the modern-day, production carbon fiber road bicycle is just about the most idiotic looking thing imaginable. i think design teams really had to work overtime.

I agree with some of this. I look at my Aethos and think meh aesthetically. And the Grevil, well carbon Pinarellos left the traditional look barn years ago and the looks of the Grevil have grown on me but ....

But riding it is a different story. For ride enjoyment I put the aethos neck and neck with my custom Spectrum steel bike as the best riding bikes in my current collection. And the sensations climbing, particularly steep slopes, are better - perhaps not surprising given its over 3.5 lbs lighter than the Spectrum even though it has disc brakes. The Grevil is like a transformer - if I put carbon tubular wheels on, it rides rides like a slightly dialed down F10 (and weighs about the same) or it can take 650b 47mm+. My 333FAB ALS has this range of capability, but it weighs 6 pounds more; weight that you feel on any road that goes up (which for me is every road around me). These carbon wonderbikes may not be long term keepers as I'm still more drawn to handmade products, but if they get moved on it won't be due to performance or fun factor that's for sure.

Last edited by Kirk007; 08-02-2021 at 11:32 AM.
Old 08-02-2021, 11:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clean39T View Post
Who's rolling the latest and greatest? How's it working out for you and why? What did you leave behind or what alternatives did you consider?

Here's mine:

2021 Canyon Ultimate CFR. Red AXS. DT Swiss Dicut ARC 1100s. CP20 integrated bar/stem. Antares Adaptive saddle.

It's the best bike I've been on for converting muscle energy into forward motion (and most expensive ). And the first time I've paid close to retail for a top-o-the-line setup. It handles great. The wheels are more impervious to cross-winds than any others I've ridden. The brakes are great. Shifting is flawless and crisp. And it's just fun to flog. In fact, I like it so much imma cut the steerer!

I still love my Kirk. And still intend to get another eventually. But it is a hoot to explore what it's like to ride the stuff the pro's ride.
Dan, is that the Xl or XXL size? How do you find the 73.5 degree seat angle compared to the more traditional 72.5 degree? I've always loved Canyon bikes, but scared of the fit / geometry. It appears that this type of sizing is to get you over the pedals more and forward.
Old 08-02-2021, 01:08 PM

At some point though it will be like owning an aeroplane where you need to have constant maintenance and a crew of mechanics just to keep the thing going. Electronics, hydraulics, computer systems Oh my!
Old 08-02-2021, 01:24 PM

Carbon works. New tech works. The designer's know what they are doing.

My newest high-tech carbon wonder machine is from last year but still very current - especially since they are impossible to get right now.

Last edited by Andy sti; 08-02-2021 at 01:29 PM.
Old 08-02-2021, 01:42 PM

Aethos Pro

I too rode metal bikes only for about a decade. Neck issues made the fit on those older bikes problematic and I started to look around. Ended up with an Aethos. Specialized has a store in Boulder where you can rent bikes and University Bikes hooked me up with a free day rental on an S-Works Aethos. It was a very good test. I can't justify almost 2x as much for an S-Works vs. the Pro model though. Bought the Pro model last fall and it has been excellent. Hits all of the superlatives.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg aethos2.jpg (152.6 KB, 145 views)
Old 08-02-2021, 01:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by redir View Post
At some point though it will be like owning an aeroplane where you need to have constant maintenance and a crew of mechanics just to keep the thing going. Electronics, hydraulics, computer systems Oh my!
Old 08-02-2021, 01:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VanBikeGuy View Post
Dan, is that the Xl or XXL size? How do you find the 73.5 degree seat angle compared to the more traditional 72.5 degree? I've always loved Canyon bikes, but scared of the fit / geometry. It appears that this type of sizing is to get you over the pedals more and forward.
It's an XL. The steeper STA, longer reach, and shorter stem combo compared to more traditional geometry in this size is all working for me. The post has a lot of adjustability as well so finding the right setback is pretty easy.
Old 08-02-2021, 01:57 PM

Quote:

While I tend to shake my fist at carbon, disc brakes, hydraulics, and electronic shifting, I think that some carbon frames look good, or at least I'm getting used to them.

Arguably, function is determining form, although I'll grant you that some companies and designers are just going for the bike equivalent of sex appeal.

ETA: and since components are so damn ugly these days, frame designers have more slack.

Last edited by reuben; 08-02-2021 at 02:13 PM.
Old 08-02-2021, 02:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clean39T View Post

Old 08-02-2021, 02:50 PM

Pretty Aethos--is yours a 58cm?

Quote:
Originally Posted by deluxerider View Post
I too rode metal bikes only for about a decade. Neck issues made the fit on those older bikes problematic and I started to look around. Ended up with an Aethos. Specialized has a store in Boulder where you can rent bikes and University Bikes hooked me up with a free day rental on an S-Works Aethos. It was a very good test. I can't justify almost 2x as much for an S-Works vs. the Pro model though. Bought the Pro model last fall and it has been excellent. Hits all of the superlatives.
Old 08-02-2021, 02:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy sti View Post

Perhaps my favorite photo on here in the past several weeks. The Spur is a great looking bike, especially in that color, but what is most compelling about this photo is how it highlights that the bike is merely a tool to access the amazing landscape, captured at a sublime moment.

Last edited by Jaybee; 08-02-2021 at 09:36 PM.
Old 08-02-2021, 03:11 PM
#RYFB

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryScientist View Post
i'm also courting a 10 year old pina which is pretty fun, but we havent gotten to know each other well enough yet.
Hmm, I have stared at that (pretty) bike for a while now but I don't see any shifters on the DT or at the bar ends. WTH, Nick?
Old 08-02-2021, 03:15 PM
#RYFB

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryScientist View Post
Rapha used to work with Canyon and offer loaner bikes out of their clubhouses.
Still does for RCC members. Considering the usual cost of renting a high-end bike and the reduced cost of membership, it's almost worth joining expressly for this purpose. Just a word of warning: the fleets book up pretty far in advance so if you're considering joining in order to do this, do so with firm dates in mind and contact the clubhouse you'll be visiting in advance to check availability.