Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 07-31-2021, 02:59 PM

Youngest just-started-running carbon bikes?

Who's rolling the latest and greatest? How's it working out for you and why? What did you leave behind or what alternatives did you consider?

Here's mine:

2021 Canyon Ultimate CFR. Red AXS. DT Swiss Dicut ARC 1100s. CP20 integrated bar/stem. Antares Adaptive saddle.

It's the best bike I've been on for converting muscle energy into forward motion (and most expensive ). And the first time I've paid close to retail for a top-o-the-line setup. It handles great. The wheels are more impervious to cross-winds than any others I've ridden. The brakes are great. Shifting is flawless and crisp. And it's just fun to flog. In fact, I like it so much imma cut the steerer!

I still love my Kirk. And still intend to get another eventually. But it is a hoot to explore what it's like to ride the stuff the pro's ride.

Last edited by Clean39T; 07-31-2021 at 03:04 PM.
Old 07-31-2021, 03:04 PM

Didn't you have one of these and sold it a while back?
Old 07-31-2021, 03:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hollowgram5 View Post

Didn't you have one of these and sold it a while back?
I had an Endurace SLX - which is similar but not the same.. This one's made from unicorn hairs or something and has less stack n' more reach. Plus a next-level build kit. I may pick up another Endurace too. For the go-easy days and dirt roads. Canyon makes really well-designed bikes, at least the ones that have avoided some unfortunate engineering and manufacturing flaws
Old 07-31-2021, 03:13 PM

Man, I keep my bikes for a long time so I’m out.

Maybe we should start a thread about newest home reno........
Old 07-31-2021, 03:15 PM
Administrator

I dont know about the bike but that road is giving me high anxiety just looking at it. that looks like a literally miserable road to ride on!

---

on topic, by Allied is probably the best road bike i have ever ridden. it is nearly perfect, and that's about as modern as i've got.

i'm also courting a 10 year old pina which is pretty fun, but we havent gotten to know each other well enough yet.

Old 07-31-2021, 03:21 PM
NJ/NashV/PDX

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryScientist View Post
I dont know about the bike but that road is giving me high anxiety just looking at it. that looks like a literally miserable road to ride on!
I thought the same thing, but went with the Thumper Doctrine.. Until you let the cat outta the bag that is.

That Pino colorway is outstanding IMO. The twiggy kickstand, I can never find one when I want to take the shot.
Old 07-31-2021, 03:21 PM
formerly Landshark_98

Youngest just-started-running carbon bikes?

I'm liking my Specialized aethos and Grevil+ both with axs; all red on the Grevil with Boyd Jocassee wheels and a set of Roval 32 clx with Veloglex arenbergs waiting for when my bike lets me ride again. A mix of red/force on the aethos with Bora ones/Veloflex ravens. Having ridden mostly custom metal bikes for the past 20 years and some carbon frames that just never really did much for me, these two bikes have made quite an impression.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by Kirk007; 07-31-2021 at 03:28 PM.
Old 07-31-2021, 03:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryScientist View Post
You mean you don't enjoy hour-long climbs on the shoulder of a 2-4 lane highway?!? *Shocked Pikachu*

Gotta take what we got around here. The drivers on this one are pretty much all people headed up to camp, MTB, or kayak - plus misc tourists. Tend to be pretty respectful. Or maybe I'm just oblivious when on my limit. It's the longest climb I have access to and makes for good training. I took 9-mins off my PR this morning on it. Roughly an hour-long climb depending on where you start counting - 14mi and 2,250ft of up.
Old 07-31-2021, 03:28 PM

Recently got a Cervelo Caledonia-had to go with the 105 version as I could not find anything with better hardware available, I had to mail order as I am in Honolulu and the bike shops here are pretty depleted and limited on top of that. First full carbon bike I have owned, replacing a 1986 MB-1 with drops I have used here for years. So far I like it-will likely put a nicer set of wheels on eventually, but all the 106 seems to work just great. I did not want the Caledonia 5 with the more integrated and proprietary stem, seemed like a pain and as I was mail ordering hard to change fit if needed.

I normally am in Hawaii sporadically, but with the pandemic have just stayed the past year (My wife lives here mostly full time) and needed a more modern bike. All my other bikes are steel or aluminum and are at other places. Only the second bike I have ever had a carbon fork for that matter.

No pics yet, but will get one eventually posted/
Old 07-31-2021, 03:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirk007 View Post
I'm liking my Specialized aethos and Grevil+ both with axs; all red on the Grevil with Boyd Jocassee wheels and a set of Roval 32 clx with Veloglex arenbergs waiting for when my bike lets me ride again. A mix of red/force on the aethos with Bora ones/Veloflex ravens. Having ridden mostly custom metal bikes for the past 20 years and some carbon frames that just never really did much for me, these two bikes have made quite an impression.

Seems we have some sharin' and comparin' to do next time you're down
Old 07-31-2021, 03:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrudoff View Post
Recently got a Cervelo Caledonia-had to go with the 105 version as I could not find anything with better hardware available, I had to mail order as I am in Honolulu and the bike shops here are pretty depleted and limited on top of that. First full carbon bike I have owned, replacing a 1986 MB-1 with drops I have used here for years. So far I like it-will likely put a nicer set of wheels on eventually, but all the 106 seems to work just great. I did not want the Caledonia 5 with the more integrated and proprietary stem, seemed like a pain and as I was mail ordering hard to change fit if needed.

I normally am in Hawaii sporadically, but with the pandemic have just stayed the past year (My wife lives here mostly full time) and needed a more modern bike. All my other bikes are steel or aluminum and are at other places. Only the second bike I have ever had a carbon fork for that matter.

No pics yet, but will get one eventually posted/
I've heard great things about those and may have gone for one if they were more available...though I'm kind of between sizes in Cervelo (58 vs. 61). Are there many gravel roads on the island you're on, or did you get it more for just chunky paved stuff?
Old 07-31-2021, 03:49 PM

Good thread topic Dan. I can't join in fully as I am still mostly running steel, but my in-progress Gilmour does have a carbon fork--so poco a poco. Your new silver Canyon looks really handsome and I admit to being tempted by your red Canyon endurance as well.

Yesterday, I was out doing a long distance day and got passed by a guy on a new Aethos. I was on my MAP (all steel, all fendered, big front bag, semi reenactor style). I wanted to see his bike so I speed up and caught him and chatted for a few miles. The Aethos is a really handsome bike with those thin seat stays and all. He loved it--said it was his first new bike in 10 years.

I'm attracted to something like a Canyon, Aethos, or perhaps Allied Echo. Or, something Euro like a Time, Look, or Orbea. The one carbon bike I owned and rode briefly, a 2016 Domane SL6 rim, I didn't like the ride feel at all which I can only describe as wooden. But maybe it was just the short TT and fit.

The Canyons sure seem like the best deal in high end carbon if you are going to buy new.
Old 07-31-2021, 04:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bici-Sonora View Post
Good thread topic Dan. I can't join in fully as I am still mostly running steel, but my in-progress Gilmour does have a carbon fork--so poco a poco. Your new silver Canyon looks really handsome and I admit to being tempted by your red Canyon endurance as well.

Yesterday, I was out doing a long distance day and got passed by a guy on a new Aethos. I was on my MAP (all steel, all fendered, big front bag, semi reenactor style). I wanted to see his bike so I speed up and caught him and chatted for a few miles. The Aethos is a really handsome bike with those thin seat stays and all. He loved it--said it was his first new bike in 10 years.

I'm attracted to something like a Canyon, Aethos, or perhaps Allied Echo. Or, something Euro like a Time, Look, or Orbea. The one carbon bike I owned and rode briefly, a 2016 Domane SL6 rim, I didn't like the ride feel at all which I can only describe as wooden. But maybe it was just the short TT and fit.

The Canyons sure seem like the best deal in high end carbon if you are going to buy new.

I’ll happily do some sharing if you bring that MAP up next time you come to OR

Speaking of which, there was a beautiful MAP on eBay the last few weeks that severely tempted me. It seemed just a bit short though.. last I checked it went unsold. Or maybe they found somebody directly.

Old 07-31-2021, 05:36 PM

2021 Specialized Tarmac SL7. Ultegra Di2, Dura Ace C40 wheels Continental GP5000TL.

I've changed the handlebars and saddle from stock as well as changed to a dual sided stages compact crankset/powermeter and a KMC X11SL chain. I also had to change the stock 100mm stem to a 120.

It is working out great. It is comfortable and fast. I've ridden it maybe 1500 miles so far. It's hard to imagine what would be a significant upgrade from this bike.

I could live without the electronic shifting but I wouldn't want to go back to rim brakes or non-tubeless tires (my old road bike - which is now just on the trainer).

I was considering a canyon aeroad but thankfully ended up with this instead. I like how the aethos looks but I guess I care about the whole aero thing. There are some other bikes to consider in the aero road segment but that could be its own thread topic. The SL7 seems like the most fool proof choice though.

I also have a 2020 model year carbon gravel bike which is too old to include.

Old 07-31-2021, 05:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtechnica View Post
2021 Specialized Tarmac SL7. Ultegra Di2, Dura Ace C40 wheels Continental GP5000TL.

I've changed the handlebars and saddle from stock as well as changed to a dual sided stages compact crankset/powermeter and a KMC X11SL chain. I also had to change the stock 100mm stem to a 120.

It is working out great. It is comfortable and fast. I've ridden it maybe 1500 miles so far. It's hard to imagine what would be a significant upgrade from this bike.

I could live without the electronic shifting but I wouldn't want to go back to rim brakes or non-tubeless tires (my old road bike - which is now just on the trainer).

I was considering a canyon aeroad but thankfully ended up with this instead. I like how the aethos looks but I guess I care about the whole aero thing. There are some other bikes to consider in the aero road segment but that could be its own thread topic. The SL7 seems like the most fool proof choice though.

That looks amazing. Love the color.

I think my next move is setting my tires up tubeless. I have run that on 25s before, so we’ll see how it goes.