Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 07-31-2021, 12:06 PM

OT: Anyone Row for xtraining?

So I mainly ride (3-5 days a week) run 1-2 times a week and realize that my upper body as a 45 year old is just flabby and dad bod like… I grew up as a runner, and had been going 50-50 run/bike until a knee injury 2 years ago and now I’ve decided running has to be 2x a week max, slow pace and no more than 5 miles at a time…

In any event, i struggle getting in lifting during the week, it’s just boring, I don’t like it, and I dont feel like I’ve accomplished much after a lift… I’ve got a set of bow flex dumbbells and a bench and can get a good workout in it’s just not satisfying unless I get cardio in as well and then it turns into 1.5-2 hours of my life to get cardio and lifting in…pre-Covid and with my knee injury I actually swam 3-5 days a week as I couldn’t bike or run and I loved it, my upper body never looked and felt better… but no open pools around here to get laps in with Covid…

So… I think I’ve decided that rowing might be a good fit for me… I’ve got a good setup downstairs with the weights, treadmill and Tacx smart trainer with dedicated bike and can certainly fit a rower as well… from what im seeing my only option (only smart one) is to grab a Concept 2 rower so Ive been looking to try and grab a used one for around 650-700 locally… have a lead on one or two so hoping to grab one in the next week or two.

In any event, anyone else here row regularly on non bike days? My thought is still biking 4-5 days a week, run 1 and row 1… and up the rowing in the winter when I’m stuck on the trainer indoors…

If so any thoughts, advice etc for someone that has never rowed? A newbie at 45 years old? Concept 2 the way to go? Any good beginner videos on YouTube you’ve used? Any thoughts would be appreciated!

Thanks
Old 07-31-2021, 12:30 PM

Yeah, C2 is the standard. Check out the C2 forum. Lots of smart, experienced rowers in there. Last I knew the backlog was 3 months, and they were only making black to keep production up. Lots of covid rowers, just like covid cyclists.

https://www.c2forum.com/viewforum.php?f=3
Old 07-31-2021, 12:36 PM

Search the threads here, you'll find a few similar discussions. Lots of Ex-rowers on these boards (myself included).

To get the ball rolling:

Yes to concept 2. They are the industry standard, excellent quality and the few wear items they have are easy and cheap to get replacements for. Ergs are relatively simple devices and don't require a whole lot of maintenance but make sure it wasn't abused. I tend to avoid used ones from Crossfit places - those ones get beat to crap and most folks at those places have little idea how to use or care for one. Turnover from local rowing clubs and schools are good finds. Overall - look for cleanliness, a smooth slide - no vibrations or gritty feel when sliding the seat, a handle that isn't clapped out, smooth pull on the chain (no vibrations or grittiness) and that the elastic that keeps tension on the chain on the recovery isn't stretched out. Contrary to the cycling world, the chain rarely needs lubrication.

Concept2 has some good resource for technique and getting started. Best advice is to build up slow. Rowing uses a very different set of muscles and requires coordination and muscle memory to become fluid with the motion. Too much too soon is a recipe for overuse injuries - especially in the low back. Don't worry about splits/watts on the erg till you are comfortable with the stroke.

Once you have it down, there are few better full body endurance workouts, aside from maybe XC skiing. I'd dust off my C2 more for x-training if I didn't have so much PTSD from the workouts we did on them back in my rowing days.
Old 07-31-2021, 12:37 PM

A few minutes before I read this post, I submitted an order for a CR2. I spent way too much time on the bike trainer last winter (and early fall with all the wildfire smoke here). The website indicated machines are in stock. I'm looking forward to more variety this winter!
Old 07-31-2021, 12:42 PM

Forgot to mention that you can check the lifetime odometer on the monitor as well. The procedure varies depending on the model, but it should report lifetime meters used. Good way to see just how much it's been used. That said - don't get put off by a big number. There isn't a whole lot to wear out on these things. The seat rollers, elastic return cord, handle, and on rare occasions the chain are the only things I've ever seen replaced. Seat rollers are the most common wear item and are cheap.
Old 07-31-2021, 01:13 PM

Also, I suggest downloading their app and pairing it to your C2. You can get more info on things like stroke length. You can even pair both a HRM and your phone. One with bluetooth, the other with ANT. I foget which is which. From the app you can upload yor data to compare similar workouts over time.

Watch the videos, ask questions in the forum.

Good luck.
Old 07-31-2021, 01:19 PM
Older Than You

I have a Stamina magnetic rower. Department store quality with few bells and whistles. It's inexpensive and QUIET!!!

At 83 I've regained some upper body strength.
Old 07-31-2021, 01:43 PM

I got a C2 around xmas last year and love it. I highly recommend it. There are fewer things more satisfying than a run followed immediately by a row.

This is my personal opinion as someone who got into fitness as a cyclist.
1. 20-40 minutes on a rower is about all I can get into. I can do 2-3 hours on my trainer and about an hour on my treadmill. I can get a great workout in 20-40 minutes on a rower. It’s kinda boring and repetitive.
2 The rower uses more of your legs than I would like for a recovery day. Like if you are looking to do 7 days a week of exercise I don’t think that is a great plan. I still take one day a week to recover. Because you get stronger when you sit not when you throw down.

My opinion could be way off for someone else. I am OK with that. I wouldn’t sell my rower.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 07-31-2021, 02:39 PM

My wife has been doing 30 minutes EVERY morning on a Waterrower since just before CoVid and the results have been excellent. The machine is beautifully designed and built and repair parts and customer support are great too. One extra feature: it is easy to stand on end taking up no more than 2 feet square of floor space.
Old 07-31-2021, 03:38 PM
formerly Landshark_98

I'd dust off my C2 more for x-training if I didn't have so much PTSD from the workouts we did on them back in my rowing days.[/QUOTE]

Ha, ha last erg session as arower was in 1979 and I still don't want to go back but am considering it. Either that or HTFU and join the local rowing club and get in a 4 or 8 for geezers....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by Kirk007; 07-31-2021 at 08:56 PM.
Old 07-31-2021, 04:19 PM

I rowed in an eight in HS and college, then didn’t do it for years (cycled a lot though!) until a scull showed up, and at about the same time a Concept2. I think I’m on my third generation of the C2 by now. I think it is great cross training, along with cross country skiing which I also do in the winter. On the C2 trainer, learning how to row- executing the catch and moving properly helps, so catch some videos somewhere or get a bit of coaching. What also helps are wireless noise cancelling earphones (I use the apple ones) and a holder for a tablet like the iPad, which are cheap and easy to find. That makes it easy to watch something while you are rowing. Finally, start off slow; its easy to get too enthusiastic and hurt your back. Get warm , say 1-1.5K and then do some reps or sprints if you want after you have the hang of it and are loose. I think the C2 is invaluable, overall.
Old 07-31-2021, 04:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 572cv View Post
I rowed in an eight in HS and college, then didn’t do it for years (cycled a lot though!) until a scull showed up, and at about the same time a Concept2. I think I’m on my third generation of the C2 by now. I think it is great cross training, along with cross country skiing which I also do in the winter. On the C2 trainer, learning how to row- executing the catch and moving properly helps, so catch some videos somewhere or get a bit of coaching. What also helps are wireless noise cancelling earphones (I use the apple ones) and a holder for a tablet like the iPad, which are cheap and easy to find. That makes it easy to watch something while you are rowing. Finally, start off slow; its easy to get too enthusiastic and hurt your back. Get warm , say 1-1.5K and then do some reps or sprints if you want after you have the hang of it and are loose. I think the C2 is invaluable, overall.
Yep, wife Leslie subscribed to NetFlix so she can watch movies on her iPad while she rows. She wears wireless Beats headphones and the rower is so silent the dogs and I can still sleep in the adjacent room.
Old 07-31-2021, 08:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirk007 View Post
I'd dust off my C2 more for x-training if I didn't have so much PTSD from the workouts we did on them back in my rowing days.
Hahy last erg session as a tower was in 1979 and I still don't want to go back but am considering it. Either that or HTFU and join the local rowing club and get in a 4 or 8 for geezers....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk[/QUOTE]

Without question, the most difficult workouts of my life were on that machine. Blacked out once or twice. Dry heaving was a regular occurance. Oh and who could forget lactate testing - go as hard as you can for 6min then stop and don't move so your lactate pool can hit its maximum and be measured via a finger or earlobe stick.

Lots of memories dragging myself to the dining hall in shambles after losing yet another round with erg.
Old 07-31-2021, 08:43 PM

I'm very much in the same boat as OP. I ended up with a Concept 2, which is fine for the sort of off-day exercise routine I have which is similar to what you're contemplating. It has worked out great. You don't have to worry about rotator cuff issues like swimming. It is nice to have an upper body and core workout to maintain strength as you get older. It is not terribly hard to learn (I suggest going through all the videos Concept 2 has on their website, and build up slowly as your wimpy upper body/core gains strength to match your awesome quads). That said, it does very much work your legs, unlike swimming, so not the perfect off-day exercise, tbh.

If I were a better/more serious rower, I'd probably spring for one of the fancier dynamic rowers.

Last edited by professerr; 07-31-2021 at 08:45 PM. Reason: deleted quote
Old 07-31-2021, 09:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by batman1425 View Post
Hahy last erg session as a tower yet another round with erg.
What were you towing? That must have been TOUGH!