Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 08-02-2021, 09:49 AM

"Jarringly stiff"...that sounds about right. I had an old Cannondale SystemSix and that thing was s o l i d. And I loved it - I'm on the heavier side, so more is more.

I think a 58 would be pretty close in Allied sizing; the Alfa stack is a *little* higher than what I have now (588 vs 580), but that can be managed.
Old 08-02-2021, 09:53 AM
Administrator

I do not feel that my bike is uncomfortably stiff at all, and i ride the smallest size.
Old 08-02-2021, 10:14 AM

I have a 56cm Allied Alfa Disc (their "road" frame). It's great and one of my favorite-ever road bikes. It's exactly the frame I wanted: a frame with a relatively level top tube, beautiful sculpting, BSA bb and external cables, "all-road" tire clearance. Can fit a 33mm measured tires in there, front or rear. Performance-wise, it honestly doesn't stand out compared to others. As in, there's not one aspect to riding that shines, but it does everything well. It's not aero but it still feels fast, it's light but not super light, it's comfortable but not a pillow. It's stiff but I don't find it overly harsh, even with 25c tires, so I don't know where those comments about it being jarringly uncomfortable come from.

Old 08-02-2021, 02:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmendoza87 View Post
I have a 56cm Allied Alfa Disc (their "road" frame). It's great and one of my favorite-ever road bikes. It's exactly the frame I wanted: a frame with a relatively level top tube, beautiful sculpting, BSA bb and external cables, "all-road" tire clearance. Can fit a 33mm measured tires in there, front or rear. Performance-wise, it honestly doesn't stand out compared to others. As in, there's not one aspect to riding that shines, but it does everything well. It's not aero but it still feels fast, it's light but not super light, it's comfortable but not a pillow. It's stiff but I don't find it overly harsh, even with 25c tires, so I don't know where those comments about it being jarringly uncomfortable come from.

Quick question for you, where is your rear brake line routed? I ask because every Allied I've seen has the rear brake entry port on the right side. They are the only manufacturer I've seen doing that and I always found it a bit curious.
Old 08-02-2021, 04:24 PM

Quote:

Stunning build! There is not a single component that doesn’t appear well thought out.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 08-02-2021, 07:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by calebrichardson View Post
Quick question for you, where is your rear brake line routed? I ask because every Allied I've seen has the rear brake entry port on the right side. They are the only manufacturer I've seen doing that and I always found it a bit curious.
Good eye, it was my special request to have the rear brake hose line drilled on the non drive side. I preferred the smoother flow of the rear brake hose this way compared to what I had seen on other Alfas.
Old 08-02-2021, 07:16 PM

Quote:
I have a 56cm Allied Alfa Disc (their "road" frame). It's great and one of my favorite-ever road bikes. It's exactly the frame I wanted: a frame with a relatively level top tube, beautiful sculpting, BSA bb and external cables, "all-road" tire clearance. Can fit a 33mm measured tires in there, front or rear. Performance-wise, it honestly doesn't stand out compared to others. As in, there's not one aspect to riding that shines, but it does everything well. It's not aero but it still feels fast, it's light but not super light, it's comfortable but not a pillow. It's stiff but I don't find it overly harsh, even with 25c tires, so I don't know where those comments about it being jarringly uncomfortable come from......
Wow, this Alfa looks stunning. Agreed with fried bake's comment.

What seatpost is that? Really like the shape of it. Alpinist?
Old 08-02-2021, 11:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tepextate View Post
What seatpost is that? Really like the shape of it. Alpinist?
It is indeed the Alpinist!
Old 08-03-2021, 10:17 AM

and the stem?

Quote:
It is indeed the Alpinist!
can't quite read the logos
Old 08-03-2021, 02:09 PM

Hey forum thanks for the information! I'll post a pic of my build when it's done.
Old 08-18-2021, 11:30 AM

Bought and built! Used 2020 model. Refinements in my build need to be made - seatpost, for example, is a leftover I had in my old parts bin (strangely, I didn't have an Alpinist lying around - I was surprised too). I also need some clear tape where the front cables rub vs. electrical tape stripes, and a chainstay protector.

Size is 58, Ultegra 8020 with 180mm Dura Ace cranks. Relatively easy build, although a tube in the front fork for the brake routing would have been nice. I prefer mechanical, and as a build note I put sheathing on the cables to avoid metal-carbon contact for the front derailleur cable exit from the frame, and the rear derailleur cable running through the bend at the bottom bracket. I believe these are "well built" using one of Hambini's criteria: the crank installation required virtually no force, which implies that the bottom bracket is well-aligned and square. I did something stupid when bleeding / filling the front brakes and can report that Galfer pads work slightly better than Shimano L03A, although don't have the fins. Seatpost wedge is slick - figuratively.

Plenty of room for measured 30mm tires (28c on Vanquish 6GPs, which are very, very wide); 32mm would be tight especially in height.

I've done about 100 miles on it. My impressions are a very smooth ride which is very noticeable on the uneven pavement in my area, and quick, neutral steering. Stiff when caning it out of the saddle, yet this is a bike that one wants to keep riding. Not "zingy", but very direct.

This is a very, very good frameset and if you have a chance to ride one, take it. Glad I bought, and would buy again.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_4704_small.jpg (153.9 KB, 111 views)
Old 08-18-2021, 11:35 AM
Administrator

Nice!

Welcome to the club!