Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 07-21-2021, 09:51 PM
Vendor

Clarkson's Farm on Prime Video

I know some don't like him but it's a pretty interesting series about Jeremy Clarkson and the massive farm he owns.
Old 07-21-2021, 10:25 PM
Dadwatts

At the end of it, my wife said, "How do farmers make any money?"

lol!
Old 07-21-2021, 11:34 PM

I don’t like being “that guy...” and I enjoyed TG quite a bit in my younger years. But all signs point to Clarkson being a racist, temperamental homophobe. He punched his producer into the hospital because he couldn’t get a steak.

Fella also has a real disdain for cycling and anything even remotely related to the environment. Why would I watch him farm?

Not to yuck your yum, but pass.
Old 07-22-2021, 12:29 AM

Literally nothing worse in life than a fcking bully.

Bet he made the money for that farm being a miserable prick to his subordinates
Old 07-22-2021, 06:23 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by jemdet View Post
I don’t like being “that guy...” and I enjoyed TG quite a bit in my younger years. But all signs point to Clarkson being a racist, temperamental homophobe. He punched his producer into the hospital because he couldn’t get a steak.

Fella also has a real disdain for cycling and anything even remotely related to the environment. Why would I watch him farm?

Not to yuck your yum, but pass.
Sorry velocipede, but gotta agree with the above. I think the original TG, the format, was good but these days..no thanks. I'm surprised the other 2 hang on...
Old 07-22-2021, 08:02 AM
Old, Fat & Slow

Clarkson being Clarkson at it's finest

I've heard the show got picked up for a season 2. In an interview, he said he managed to get the crops planted on time this year. Should be interesting to see the difference at the end of the year

...and to see if he actually learned something about farming and the plight of farmers last year

M
Old 07-22-2021, 08:55 AM
Randomhead

My favorite episode of the Amazon series was where they made Clarkson ride a bike. I assume he rode it less than they said, but he looked pretty winded at the end and I'm not sure I believe he's that good of an actor.
Old 07-22-2021, 10:19 AM

Watched a few episodes. Trying to put aside the struggle within me regarding Clarkson, and take in the show as something separate from his past. Really enjoyed watching him with Hammond & May on TG back in the day, but after the whole punch-up thing I cooled on him considerably.

It is amusing to see how he handles, or fumbles through, all the new things he encounters - him being a guy with no ag background. As someone who grew up working on farms (extended family & friends) I had forgotten how things I just took for granted are completely unknowns to non-farming folk. His deep pockets sure do help his cause though.

Interesting to contrast some of the farming differences between UK and the US. I'll probably keep on watching for the entertainment value.

Last edited by Red Tornado; 07-22-2021 at 10:34 AM.
Old 07-22-2021, 10:26 AM
Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by unterhausen View Post
My favorite episode of the Amazon series was where they made Clarkson ride a bike. I assume he rode it less than they said, but he looked pretty winded at the end and I'm not sure I believe he's that good of an actor.

He actually rides a bike more than people realize. All 3 do. We were in talks to make Richard a ti bike after his Rimac crash. I'm a cyclist and I hate riders at times. Especially the kids and parents in my town who don't care about stop signs or putting their phone down so they don't get run over.
Old 07-22-2021, 10:58 AM
Randomhead

Sometimes I think novice cyclists have heard that cyclists don't stop for stop signs and think that's how they are supposed to ride. Or they just don't ever stop for stop signs, like most of the motorists around here.
Old 07-22-2021, 11:04 AM

I've always assumed his persona is an on screen character or public life schtick. I'll check this show out.
Old 07-22-2021, 11:08 AM

The best show any of these guys have done is James May's "Our Man in Japan". Really good show, he picked tons of cool places to visit and people to hang out with that really show a wide variety of Japanese culture.

I have never even found Clarkson amusing when he's just driving the cars. He was fun for a little bit but his act got pretty old pretty fast and as time went on he became more and more invested in the act.

Every auto journalist has seemingly copied his screaming antics and talking about poo coming out while badly driving the car.. I would rather someone who was a better driver and was a bit more "straight" in presentation.

Chris Harris has copied some of Clarkson's nonsense but in a lot of ways he's a lot better.
Old 07-22-2021, 11:37 AM
You still here?

Quote:
Originally Posted by benb View Post
The best show any of these guys have done is James May's "Our Man in Japan". Really good show, he picked tons of cool places to visit and people to hang out with that really show a wide variety of Japanese culture.

I have never even found Clarkson amusing when he's just driving the cars. He was fun for a little bit but his act got pretty old pretty fast and as time went on he became more and more invested in the act.

Every auto journalist has seemingly copied his screaming antics and talking about poo coming out while badly driving the car.. I would rather someone who was a better driver and was a bit more "straight" in presentation.

Chris Harris has copied some of Clarkson's nonsense but in a lot of ways he's a lot better.
I really enjoyed Mays Our Man in Japan. His slightly quirky outlook was amusing and informative. I hated to see it end.
Old 07-22-2021, 11:46 AM
NJ/NashV/PDX

FWIW, I can't watch him anymore. But boy, the early stuff was crazy funny and entertaining...

But he is the exact kind of jerk I have gotten into trouble many times on many levels punching in the face. Call me a slow learner...

Galactic duuche baggery level just too high with him. Simon Cowell, Gordon Ramsey club members all in.

Sorry if I contribute to a thread lock... Not actually sorry. ;O
Old 07-22-2021, 02:49 PM

A little bit of Clarkson goes a long way. He has definitely surpassed his best buy date.