Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 07-04-2021, 06:10 AM

Donkey Label kits have always been top notch. Designs sometimes leave a little to be desired but materials and craftsmanship are excellent.
Old 08-01-2021, 09:39 PM

I recently ordered some kit from Universal Colours:

https://www.universalcolours.com/men...sleeve-jerseys

Sigma sports have their stuff at a discount sometimes.

I am super impressed with the materials, fit, and performance. Definitely as good as Rapha and Veloccio. The Chroma bibs, although on the short side, are fantastic with a better material quality and compression than Rapha Pro II.

I am 5ft 9in and weigh 132lbs. I wear a small in every brand and that held true for Universal Colours. I would say the jersey's are on the tighter side.

Last edited by mastaliu; 08-01-2021 at 09:41 PM.
Old 08-02-2021, 07:18 AM
Registered (ab)User

So I read through this entire thread, and then I looked through my closet, and then I stopped and stared at a blank wall for a few minutes, and I've concluded that

A) I don't have a favorite cycling apparel brand; and

B) the few brands I gravitate to are definitely not "under the radar"

So I got nuttin'
Old 08-02-2021, 07:41 AM

I don't know if I'd call them a "favorite" but the last two bibs and three jerseys have come from here:

https://montella-cycling.com/

The Chamois is much thicker than pretty much anything I've ever used and does not look like what their example shows. But to be honest they've eliminated the usual friction spot on the left I always seem to suffer with.

The Jerseys also seem to be longer than most of my other ones. So far they are holding up great and getting a lot of use.

Fast shipping so far from them. The stuff isn't anything fancy but decently priced and seems to work well for me.
Old 08-02-2021, 10:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mastaliu View Post

I am super impressed with the materials, fit, and performance. Definitely as good as Rapha and Veloccio. The Chroma bibs, although on the short side, are fantastic with a better material quality and compression than Rapha Pro II.

I am 5ft 9in and weigh 132lbs. I wear a small in every brand and that held true for Universal Colours. I would say the jersey's are on the tighter side.
This looks like nice stuff. The Chroma stuff looks very similar to Pas Normal.

For my money, if I’m getting a strictly technical jersey, I’m going with OrNot. (reiterating what I said previously in the thread) Made in California, high performing, and priced competitively.

I have four of their “house jerseys” a couple of LS jerseys, and the MicroClimate jacket and MagicShell jacket. Hard to beat.
Old 08-02-2021, 10:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesdak View Post
I don't know if I'd call them a "favorite" but the last two bibs and three jerseys have come from here:

https://montella-cycling.com/

The Jerseys also seem to be longer than most of my other ones. So far they are holding up great and getting a lot of use.

The stuff isn't anything fancy but decently priced and seems to work well for me.
How are the pockets? On some of the bargain brands my only complaint is the pockets aren't great - I put a mini-pump in a pocket on my castelli and twin six jerseys there is plenty of room.
Old 08-02-2021, 11:07 AM

+1 for Endura - ProSL stuff is fantastic, and their winter gear is well made and smartly designed, and the colors are unique - a great value up against some of the boutique stuff. I love my Windchill softshell Jacket - pit vents are key for regulating temp and the cuffs fit well under gloves. Their gloves are nice too - big terry pad for managing sweat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by flying View Post
Endura

Especially their Pro SL line is very very nice

I especially like their Pro Sl long Sleeve Jersey

The LS Jersey is 204 grams in my small size Fit is fantastic quite aero yet stretchy comfortable

Their bibs with the 700 series pad is awesome
I like their bibs with narrow pad
(They offer their pro bibs in 3 pad widths)

China made but quality is as high or higher than anything I have ever worn
Tried them when they were MovieStar's clothing sponsor

The gave up on Sponsoring Road cycling due to their clothes being refused a few times by UCI in TT ...
instead they focus now on Tri where they can use their TT knowledge as well as offroad where they were always big I guess

Prices can usually be found 25% under retail on Sigma & Chain Rection...even the Endura USA site goes on sale (but Covid has everything sold out right now)

That is my under the radar pick ...on radar I still love Castelli Rosso Corsa stuff
Old 08-02-2021, 11:11 AM

Not sure if we've had it but Albion is great.

albioncycling.com

Great small team who are really pushing some boundaries IMO. For example this Zoa Jacket. It's wild. And no tax so it's a good value, again, IMO. Pushing the use of recycled materials as well wherever they can.

Old 08-02-2021, 04:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Divebomb View Post
+1 for Endura - ProSL stuff is fantastic, and their winter gear is well made and smartly designed, and the colors are unique - a great value up against some of the boutique stuff. I love my Windchill softshell Jacket - pit vents are key for regulating temp and the cuffs fit well under gloves. Their gloves are nice too - big terry pad for managing sweat.

They also guarantee their clothing in the Pro SL line. Still my favorite chamois ever.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 08-02-2021, 06:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beldar77 View Post
How are the pockets? On some of the bargain brands my only complaint is the pockets aren't great - I put a mini-pump in a pocket on my castelli and twin six jerseys there is plenty of room.
Hmmmm, I don't carry much in mine so how to quantify this?.

I just compared against one of my Giordana jerseys. Pockets area smaller and not stretch material like the Giordana. But plenty big enough to hold the larger 24 oz insulated Camelback bottles securely. The opening on these has nice elastic but is tighter than the Giordana which isn't really that secure at the top.
Old 08-02-2021, 09:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scoobydrew View Post
I've been tempted to get a Magic Shell jacket. What temperature range do you typically ride with it on?
I run warm, and will ride into the teens and 20s. Last winter I often wore a thin base, a fall jersey, and my magic shell over that in just below freezing temps. Much colder than that and I wore a heavier base and a different winter jacket. The magic shell is a really nice piece. Could wear it in the 30s-40s, easily. 50s with just a basic summer jersey under it.

Has anyone mentioned Ten Speed Hero? Their jerseys are great, maybe even nicer than Ornot’s, which are really comfortable.
Old 08-02-2021, 10:22 PM

that helps

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesdak View Post
Hmmmm, I don't carry much in mine so how to quantify this?.

I just compared against one of my Giordana jerseys. Pockets area smaller and not stretch material like the Giordana. But plenty big enough to hold the larger 24 oz insulated Camelback bottles securely. The opening on these has nice elastic but is tighter than the Giordana which isn't really that secure at the top.
I don't usually put too much in a pocket. It's just the length of the pump can sometimes make it stick out in a smaller pocket - which i think makes it possible for it to fall out. Sounds like these pockets could handle a mini-pump.

Thanks.

Last edited by Beldar77; 08-03-2021 at 12:52 AM.
Old 08-02-2021, 11:28 PM
DELETE ACCNT

nice!
how is the leg length compared to Rapha pro team II reg length?
Quote:
Originally Posted by mastaliu View Post

Old 08-03-2021, 06:03 AM

Because I’m basically built like an ape I get my stuff from aerotech designs, their tall jerseys are actually built for tall people. I also like their commuter capri’s/knickers but I’ve never bought bibs there.
Old 08-03-2021, 08:25 AM

I don't know if Twin Six is considered "under the radar", but I like many of their designs and they're made in the USA.