Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 06-30-2021, 09:49 AM

Your favorite “under the radar” cycling apparel brand?

I like cycling kit. A lot. Truth be told, I like it more than actual bikes. The intersection of fashion and functionally is fascinating to me. I’m
constantly trawling the Web (and my favorite economist/fashionista’s Strava feed) for fresh threads.

Cafe du Cycliste and Isadore are already firmly ensconced in the cycling lexicon. They’re my cycling apparel lodestars. (Insert perpetual WTB XL for those two companies here.)

Recently, I’ve come across a few others, although I’ve yet to click “pay.”

Sigr. This is an intriguing company. Minimally branded (MAAP and Pas Normal should take note) and a great price point. Inspired by the Swedish countryside, dedicated to sustainability, and promulgating a “Genderless Revolution ” (Sweden is very well known for its gender parity). And made in China. Is the last quality too jarring of a juxtaposition? Up to the buyer, I guess. Web site here: https://sigr.cc/?wgu=280645_54264_16...s&siteid=54264

Bernardridesagain. Whether intentional or otherwise, this kit reeks of exclusivity. Who is Bernard? We don’t know. What happened to him that he was off the bike? No clue. I’m looking to plug a bunch of holes on my kit. Too bad, they make a limited amount of stuff. That’s OK, I like the stuff they offer. Too bad, almost everything is sold out.
Web site here: http://www.bernardridesagain.com/new-products-1

PEdALED. This company hews pretty close to the CDC/Isadore milieu: modern kit that acknowledges its classic antecedents. Their “Mirai” stuff is pretty cool, and the Japanese characters strike a great balance between “bold” and “subtle.”
Bonus points: hey…isn’t that San Francisco’s Sunset District in some of their shots? I think it is. Web site here: https://pedaled.com/eu_en/mens-summe...y-mirai-orange

I’d include OrNot in my list of “beneath the radar” companies, (hard to beat them for strictly technical fabrics) but it seems like the word is already out among the conoscenti. Others? Australia seems like fertile grounds for new companies. Seems like there’s a new one every month.

Last edited by XXtwindad; 06-30-2021 at 09:55 AM.
Old 06-30-2021, 10:04 AM

You can't go wrong with Voler. They've been around forever, pretty much non-branded, and their top-tier stuff is pro level. Also it's made in the U.S.A.
Old 06-30-2021, 10:23 AM

Lusso makes fantastic kit for the money and seems to be pretty under the radar in the States at least.
Old 06-30-2021, 11:11 AM

Wink wink that’s also me.

Hot tip for good kit: Mission Workshop has a new kit coming mid July that will be fantastic

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 06-30-2021, 11:17 AM
NJ/NashV/PDX

Under the radar for how long?

Just saying, and this is about as quiet as it gets here..

Currently Active Users: 658 (118 members and 540 guests)
Old 06-30-2021, 11:29 AM

Personally, I just buy whatever my wife tells me to buy, but if you're looking to discover new brands, this is what instagram is made for.

Step 1: follow a bunch of known brands on instagram that make cycling clothing (Rapha, Castelli, Sportful, etc.)
Step 2: like a bunch of posts showing off nice cycling kits
Step 3: sit back and wait as you are bombarded with ads from brands you've never heard of before
Old 06-30-2021, 11:52 AM

Endura

Especially their Pro SL line is very very nice

I especially like their Pro Sl long Sleeve Jersey

The LS Jersey is 204 grams in my small size Fit is fantastic quite aero yet stretchy comfortable

Their bibs with the 700 series pad is awesome
I like their bibs with narrow pad
(They offer their pro bibs in 3 pad widths)

China made but quality is as high or higher than anything I have ever worn
Tried them when they were MovieStar's clothing sponsor

The gave up on Sponsoring Road cycling due to their clothes being refused a few times by UCI in TT ...
instead they focus now on Tri where they can use their TT knowledge as well as offroad where they were always big I guess

Prices can usually be found 25% under retail on Sigma & Chain Rection...even the Endura USA site goes on sale (but Covid has everything sold out right now)

That is my under the radar pick ...on radar I still love Castelli Rosso Corsa stuff

Last edited by flying; 06-30-2021 at 11:58 AM.
Old 06-30-2021, 11:53 AM

Like above....just wear what my wife buys me. For shorts, when they go on sale....she usually gets me Aero Tech design. For daily use jerseys....that go in washer and dryer after every ride....Amazon on sale....never over $20. For better jerseys....whoever supplies my bike club jerseys. Would not even consider paying what some of the exotic brands charge. However....I don't live in an area with a cold winter.
Old 06-30-2021, 12:03 PM

I have nothing constructive to add to this conversation other than I'm a YUGE fan of this trend of 3/4 length sleeves on jerseys.

I hate (I'm using the word hate) it when a short sleeve jersey bunches up and almost looks like sleeveless.

Carry on.........
Old 06-30-2021, 12:09 PM

VOID
Gobik
Tactic

These three have some nice designs and reasonable prices.
Old 06-30-2021, 12:32 PM

NeoPro
https://neoprocycling.com/

A buddy and I have been buying kits from NeoPro this year and they are very affordable, and actually QUITE nice!
Old 06-30-2021, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by XXtwindad View Post
Bernardridesagain. Whether intentional or otherwise, this kit reeks of exclusivity. Who is Bernard? We don’t know. What happened to him that he was off the bike? No clue. I’m looking to plug a bunch of holes on my kit. Too bad, they make a limited amount of stuff. That’s OK, I like the stuff they offer. Too bad, almost everything is sold out.
Web site here: http://www.bernardridesagain.com/new-products-1
Bernard Rides Again is/was a side project from a graphic designer based out of LA (Brandon S). If anyone wants to give him a nudge to release another kit, that'd be awesome, but I wouldn't count on any new releases anytime soon.
Old 06-30-2021, 12:45 PM
SageOfMilwaukee

Cutaway Cycling clothing

https://www.cutawayusa.com
Old 06-30-2021, 12:52 PM

I have a number of items from Funkier that I bought when on sale from the website. I like the stuff I have. I also like Endura products and usually get them from CRC. My favorite bibs now are Ale'.
Old 06-30-2021, 01:01 PM
I need you cool.

Not really under the radar, but certainly hard to find....I like Exte Ondo bibs....jerseys are OK, good materials and cut, but styling can be odd....