Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 08-03-2021, 07:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 572cv View Post
The OP’s title question is thought provoking, from a business perspective. Especially if one has bought from Silca, and from King cage, and from Abbey, with whom they have decided to compete head on. How big are the markets they are adding? Have they done the research? Can they penetrate the core markets of their competitors, built up traditionally over years ? What is the innovation hook, or price hook or compelling sell? Certain of my Silca products have been smash hits, with a key innovation that makes my cycling life better: The compact travelling torque ratchet set is brilliant,complete, effective. The boa closure on the seat bag is just right. But for those who appreciate tools, Abbey is like Snap-on of old, always just beautifully made, purpose built to do one job better. Will Silca gain a toehold in that world? I for one will be interested to see. It is the constant push and pull of the marketplace. And Silca in its current generation is not an old company; it seems to be still trying to figure out its own core identity, in a way.
Do you have any thoughts?

Anyone who spends 12 bucks for 10 gear wipes is in a select group but then again, I put my cash in a baggie instead of a 39 dollar phone wallet. I've had to use titanium tools in my job and frankly, give me good steel any day of the week by far. $185 for a cage? 30 bucks for a straw? I do admit their wax has me tempted.

Who spends that kind of coin? Same person who spends 250 on a fondo
Old 08-03-2021, 07:10 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ripvanrando View Post
Do you have any thoughts?

Anyone who spends 12 bucks for 10 gear wipes is in a select group but then again, I put my cash in a baggie instead of a 39 dollar phone wallet. I've had to use titanium tools in my job and frankly, give me good steel any day of the week by far. $185 for a cage? 30 bucks for a straw? I do admit their wax has me tempted.

Ugly responses like this can be found on every type of forum.

who spends 10k on a watch. who spends 15k to put a supercharger on their truck? who splashed out 5k to get his motorcycle tank painted.

all implying that anyone who spends more money on anything than the accuser is "dumb".

check yourselves. we have all been guilty of buying things that are nice than we need, sometimes irrationally. being quick to judge others is narrow minded.
Old 08-03-2021, 07:13 AM
Administrator

Quote:
$185 for a cage?
Also, please point me to a cage someone sells for $185?
Old 08-03-2021, 07:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryScientist View Post

who spends 10k on a watch. who spends 15k to put a supercharger on their truck? who splashed out 5k to get his motorcycle tank painted.

all implying that anyone who spends more money on anything than the accuser is "dumb".

check yourselves. we have all been guilty of buying things that are nice than we need, sometimes irrationally. being quick to judge others is narrow minded.

10 thumbs up
Old 08-03-2021, 07:29 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Is there a thread for comically over the top bike accessories yet?
Isn't there one already? Lots of bike accessory makers make and SELL lots of expensive stuff.

https://www.abbeybiketools.com/produ...7232ca8c&_ss=r

NOT trying to single out Abbey but what's 'worth it' to one may not be 'worth it' to another.
Quote:
They can sell their tools to people that don't work on bikes and Abbey will keep selling tools to the people that do.
Big BS flag on that one. So ya like Abbey and ya don't like Silca..fine and dandy but...

What Angry said right above..these threads of 'worth' wear me out..a $20,000++ BICYCLE with shimano made in Asia?..YGBSM
$21,000
Attached Images
File Type: jpg PanigaleV2_Bayliss_left.jpg (22.4 KB, 231 views)

Last edited by oldpotatoe; 08-03-2021 at 07:37 AM.
Old 08-03-2021, 07:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmrt View Post
are silca tools made in the usa?
These particular ones are, as they are printed in their Indianapolis office.
Old 08-03-2021, 08:07 AM

I own quite a few Silca products, and I swing back and forth on the value of the silca products I own or have tried.

Floor pumps - always hated them, even the originals, tried them at the track in Milton 2 years ago and the chucks did not work on multiple pumps.

Tattico - the pump is great but the mounting hardware has rusted out after about a year of use.

Tire Levers - the metal core keeps them from breaking.

Chain Wax - works well, but does not last as specified - rewax more often than Silca suggests as the chain start to gets loud.

Latex tubes - they are tubes, need to be pumped every 2 days, but as I understand all latex tubes are the same.

In terms of tools, I have Abbey chain whips, 4 way tool and a Crombie. I can't imagine any tools being nicer than these.
Old 08-03-2021, 08:17 AM
aka RAEKWON

as mentioned Abbey has been doing this for a while and get praises here on the forum.

Once again PL is in true form hating on stuff for no reason, don't like? Don't buy.

Yes, silca makes expensive stuff, yes imo is overpriced but they also make nice products. The only thing I think is overpriced is the frame pumps because they are just not that good, but the stuff that is good is really really good and works well. Also CS seems to be great.

These tools, although not something that interests me, are very cool.

As far as Abbey making tools for people that work on bikes, what a bunch of baloney. I have an Abbey chainwhip and I prefer my cheaper park one 9/10 times. So there. Not saying Abbey does not make good tools but its nonsense to think people that don't work on bikes will get silca tools which will probably perform the same as the abbey or the park or whatever.
Old 08-03-2021, 08:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmy-moots View Post
Manufacturing with a 3d printer has to be the most bottom rung of local manufacturing though... right?
The expertise and equipment required are beyond a typical machine shop.
Old 08-03-2021, 08:26 AM

Quote:
Lmao u mad
Old 08-03-2021, 08:28 AM

I bought a Silca pump in 1992 and about a year ago I decided I needed to fix it or get a new pump. That's when I discovered that Silca, the Italian brand, had died but some American bought the name so I contacted them. They were quite pleased to see a pic of the pump I had purchased almost 30 years ago that was still working AND they had the parts for it too! So I bought the parts for the old pump and I bought a new pump. The new pump stays at my office and the old pump was fixed and is amazingly as good as new again.

I guess I am in the Silca market.

One thing that I found true within reason in life is that if you pay more for quality products up front it's cheaper in the long run. Again, within reason. Those tools do indeed look ridiculous but it's not unlike a lot of other things too. For example I build guitars and have a variety of hand tools. I can take a regular Marples or Stanly plane and tune it up and have a tool that will last generations or I can buy a hand made plane for $1200 because not only is it a fine tool but it totally looks awesome! At some point it's like buying art or jewelry. I'm sure it's like that in just about any hobby.

But a Silica pump is a darned good tool and I would recommend it to anyone. Expensive yes but it will last decades.
Old 08-03-2021, 08:34 AM

Quote:
Also, please point me to a cage someone sells for $185?
Ok, so you don't like my opinion that titanium tools are stupid or some of the other extremely expensive stuff is stupid. Have you used titanium tools? They are not so durable.

I accept your right to call my post ugly.

I just happen to think anyone who spends 250 for a fondo is the same type who buys designer bike wipes or 30 dollar straws. It is insanity to me.

https://silca.cc/collections/bottle-...imited-edition
Old 08-03-2021, 08:45 AM

I mean, that’s very clearly two cages with two straws…
Old 08-03-2021, 08:48 AM
Forward the Foundation

..vfm

Last edited by sg8357; 08-03-2021 at 09:15 AM.
Old 08-03-2021, 08:56 AM

Quote:

Thanks, Angry, for making these points. My response in this thread was not to complain about cost, or criticize products, but rather to wonder about consideration of the bigger picture. In this case, Silca's bigger picture, since this was the subject of the thread. I would like all of the businesses mentioned in this thread to succeed. I'd like them to be there to offer cyclists fine products and make cycling and its maintenance a better experience. Note also that makers of this and that and these participate in this forum. They offer here, freely, valuable perspective and help, useful observations for many of us, and I am grateful. Can't our comments be the kind of things we say to friends, at the least fair and constructive in spirit?