Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 08-03-2021, 06:01 AM
extremely tall

Just went through this and wound up with Brooklyn Bedding (Signature Hybrid, Firm) after trying Nectar and Casper. Those were too soft; the Brooklyn feels firm, consistent and well made. As others said, with any mattress in a box just make sure the return policy is good because they’re so subjective.
Old 08-03-2021, 06:09 AM

Good site for bedding reviews:

https://www.sleeplikethedead.com/

Tim
Old 08-03-2021, 06:16 AM

Look

I Sleep hot well Extremely Hot. My .02 Cents would be go to one of those Mattress stores and at least see what you like. lay on the Stupid fit machine bed pretend it s a Bike fitting. I only say this because I have sent two beds back and do not really enjoy that process.
We wound up with this in a Firm.https://www.sleepcitybeds.com/aireloom/
Also I firmly believe that the natural fibers on the Pillow top are what helps keep it cool.. and again Just my two cents i cannot stand a foam mattress feels like I am being hugged in the bed.

Last edited by dsimon; 08-03-2021 at 06:29 AM.
Old 08-03-2021, 07:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsimon View Post
I only say this because I have sent two beds back and do not really enjoy that process.
Did you just donate them, as was mentioned earlier? Or did you have to actually ship them back?
Old 08-03-2021, 07:39 AM
Administrator

Anyone who sleeps hot, as I do should look into a chili pad. single best thing i've bought in recent memory. changed my sleep profile for the better by a huge factor as verified my my Oura ring.

https://www.chilisleep.com/products/...BoC6pMQAvD_BwE
Old 08-03-2021, 08:01 AM

We’ve had very good outcomes with purchases from City Mattress, particularly their own brands. The one we tried most recently is their Grand Teton Eurotop. Good service, good communication too. Good luck
Old 08-03-2021, 08:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by makoti View Post
Did you just donate them, as was mentioned earlier? Or did you have to actually ship them back?
package back in a bed box and they come and pick it up but non the less still a PITA
Old 08-03-2021, 08:36 AM

I have been very happy with our Avocado mattresses sans pillow tops. They score high in consumer reports and are very comfortable.
Old 08-03-2021, 09:00 AM

I'm confused, Kingsdown is still around, I'm pretty sure my mattress was from Ontario and I still see ads for them. And yeah, I agree, the springs tend to go - my older mattress definitely wasn't even 10 years old before I got rid of it.

I currently use a wool mattress topper from Shepherd's Dream and love it. Cooling pads and what not seem like a nice fix in the dead of summer but for most of the time, I find the wool topper + the llbean pima sheets more than good enough.
Old 08-03-2021, 09:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by weisan View Post
Costco
Old 08-03-2021, 09:10 AM
Vendor

My wife is the queen of researching things to death. It took her 7 months to decide on a vacuum for the house. Over a year for a mattress. We got a Purple 3 mattress. LOVE IT! Now, granted, I haven't used it a ton this year cause I can't with everything ive been going thru. but my wife loves it more and more.
Old 08-03-2021, 10:25 AM
formerly Landshark_98

Lots of info on the internet re internet purchased mattresses(and store bought) with literally thousands of reviews. Temperpedic has worked well for us but they are now eye-watering expensive. We tried a Beautyrest Black mattress and after about a year it more resembles a hammock than a mattress - not impressed. Costco carries Ghost Bed and we purchased for a spare bedroom at our son's house - not enough nights to really give it a thumbs up or down but first impressions are positive. And just replaced home mattress with ones from Saatva - again need more time on them but they are made to order, different options - ours include coils so they are delivered in a big truck not a small box. One of the things that I appreciate most about new bed options is the frames that you can raise the head/foot etc. When ill, particularly with respiratory mattters like colds, I sleep much better with my head elevated, and I'm also able to sleep better when I tweak my back by adjusting the elevations - much easier than rearranging pillows. This might be something to consider.
Old 08-03-2021, 10:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryScientist View Post
Anyone who sleeps hot, as I do should look into a chili pad. single best thing i've bought in recent memory. changed my sleep profile for the better by a huge factor as verified my my Oura ring.

https://www.chilisleep.com/products/...BoC6pMQAvD_BwE
I thought that was just to mitigate the dutch oven effect from an all-burrito diet...
Hot Tubes
LiteSpeed
SpeshFatboy
Old 08-03-2021, 10:40 AM

We moved to a king mattress about 10 years ago, from a traditional queen.

We were pretty sure we wanted a TempurPedic, had spent a couple of nights on one in a motel on the California coast.

So...we went to Jordan's Furniture and tried pretty much every mattress there. Some were too soft, some too hard, one was just right.

After 10 minutes on a pillow top TempurPedic, my wife looked like she was completely out. We figured, if 10 minutes had that effect, a full night would do wonders.

Turned out that it was the second most expensive TempurPedic in the store, with the first kept in a separate room under lock and key (I'm not making this up). I think you had to pass a credit check before you got to see it...IIRC, that mattress was $7500, and I'm glad we didn't get to audition it!

Anyway, we've been sleeping happily on ours ever since...will probably need to replace it sometime soon. We rotate it 180 degrees every six months (not flip due to pillow top) but still have some permanent channeling on each side. I think I'll suggest that we both sleep in the middle for a while, see if we can even it out.

With regard to shopping...we bought a hybrid Casper for my parents. I think they're happy with it. I don't think I can buy a mattress by mail, though... I need to audition it...
Hot Tubes
LiteSpeed
SpeshFatboy
Old 08-03-2021, 10:55 AM

We bought a helix midnight and have been happy with it. They have a process to sort of guide you to the right fit. Buying online I wasn’t sure what the quality would be…but a year in its holding up well and I’ve been much less stiff in the morning. As a side sleeper I needed some shoulder relief and it’s been great. We were able to find a local mattress recycling company that picked up our old king size for $30.