Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 08-02-2021, 04:35 PM

Effects of Afib and electro-cardioversions on athletic performance?

over the past 7 years i've had about 8 ECVs to correct self-induced atrial fibrilation.
i was wondering if there was any info about afib and corrective ECVs effect on athletic performance and max HR.
Old 08-02-2021, 06:36 PM

Good question. While I don't have a direct answer, I'll suggest to get a copy of "The Haywire Heart" by Lennard Zinn, and perhaps contact him.
Old 08-02-2021, 06:53 PM

My guess is the cardioversion would have little effect. Persistent a fib, particularly of the rapid sort could have effects on cardiac output and thus, athletic performance.
Old 08-02-2021, 07:41 PM

I went 9 years with on and off A-fib, with drugs, then it was bordering on chronic so an ablation was recommended and that cured the problem. My right atrium was out of spec (enlarged) due to the years of A-fib. For this reason, I recommend the ablation otherwise, a drop in performance may become the least of your worries down the road.

The docs typically don't provide ECV unless one has been in A-fib over 48 hours. I think 8 in 7 years is too many. Get the ablation....especially if they have you on antiarrhythmic drugs, which I assume they do.
Old 08-02-2021, 08:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rnhood View Post
I went 9 years with on and off A-fib, with drugs, then it was bordering on chronic so an ablation was recommended and that cured the problem. My right atrium was out of spec (enlarged) due to the years of A-fib. For this reason, I recommend the ablation otherwise, a drop in performance may become the least of your worries down the road.

The docs typically don't provide ECV unless one has been in A-fib over 48 hours. I think 8 in 7 years is too many. Get the ablation....especially if they have you on antiarrhythmic drugs, which I assume they do.
my best friend had an ablation for afib, and he's never been right since.
my afib is completely under control. its only periodically when i eat cold food, especially after extended vigorous physical exercion in hot conditions.
it upsets some nerve connected to the heart, that runs next to the esophagus
no afib drugs needed, or wanted.
none of my cardiologists suggested them. only one suggested an ablation. vacation home payments?

so, no cold food = no afib
i just have a bad thing for cold watermelon.

Last edited by Kingson; 08-02-2021 at 08:51 PM.
Old 08-02-2021, 09:28 PM

11 years after my a-fib ablation, still going strong ( no a-fib ) best decision I ever made health-wise…

Just sayin’

You may want to pursue finding an EP doc with a great reputation.

Just sayin’

Im really surprised after having so many cardioversions that no doctor has recommended blood thinners. The risk of having blood clots and a stroke is great with a-fib.

Good luck with whatever you decide!
Old 08-03-2021, 06:29 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingson View Post
over the past 7 years i've had about 8 ECVs to correct self-induced atrial fibrilation.
i was wondering if there was any info about afib and corrective ECVs effect on athletic performance and max HR.
Self induced as in happens with exercise? I have had 2 ECV, and have had my Afib self convert about 9 times(since 2005)..total of about a dozen episodes..NO issue at all post ECV, exercise wise.

Are you on some sort of beta blocker?

BTW-after a rash of afib starting in mid 2019..I got an ablation(July 2020) and have afib free since..

Read the further post and I too am surprised no heart doc has mentioned ablation. OK, one gent you say 'has never been the same'..I and SocalSteve haven't either but that is a GOOD thing.

I too have been on Eliquis for about 6 years also..low dose but yup..lots of afib=blood clots or valve damage.
Quote:
The docs typically don't provide ECV unless one has been in A-fib over 48 hours.
NOT a heart doc but a heart patient. FIRST thing my heart doc said when I went into Afib is immediately start some sort of anticoagulant.

also Rythmol or some other anti-afob med..wait 24 hours. If no convert come see him...THEN ECV(twice).

NOT a heart doc..BUT I wouldn't sit in afib, without some sort of blood thinner, for an extended period of time..
Quote:
"8 ecv's" and "my AFib is under control" cannot both be true. You need to talk to a different cardiologist.
I think bike forum medical advice is just that but agree with the above.

Last edited by oldpotatoe; 08-03-2021 at 07:38 AM.
Old 08-03-2021, 06:38 AM
Time & Bikes

I had afib ablation in February 2010, and my heart has worked well since. Before that we tried drugs and shocks, but neither controlled the problem. The ablation did.

So the anecdotal score: 3 GOOD, 1 MEH

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldpotatoe View Post
Self induced as in happens with exercise? I have had 2 ECV, and have had my Afib self convert about 9 times(since 2005)..total of about a dozen episodes..NO issue at all post ECV, exercise wise.

Are you on some sort of beta blocker?

BTW-after a rash of afib starting in mid 2019..I got an ablation(July 2020) and have afib free since..

Read the further post and I too am surprised no heart doc has mentioned ablation. OK, one gent you say 'has never been the same'..I and SocalSteve haven't either but that is a GOOD thing.

I too have been on Eliquis for about 6 years also..low dose but yup..lots of afib=blood clots or valve damage.
Old 08-03-2021, 07:29 AM

Get a professional opinion

"8 ecv's" and "my AFib is under control" cannot both be true. You need to talk to a different cardiologist.
Old 08-03-2021, 11:42 AM

One more anecdote. 18 mos since my ablation and so far, so good. Only difference is that my resting HR rose about 10 points, as I was told to expect. No change in physical ability, and am less nervous about having a spell riding out in the boonies.
Old 08-03-2021, 11:52 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2LeftCleats View Post
One more anecdote. 18 mos since my ablation and so far, so good. Only difference is that my resting HR rose about 10 points, as I was told to expect. No change in physical ability, and am less nervous about having a spell riding out in the boonies.
My resting HR also went up by about 10 bpm. And yes, expected. I gotta add and nobody really has any idea why….

I was having about 2-3 migraines per week before ablation, now, 12 months on, post ablation, I’ve had about 4 TOTAL in the last 12 months…

Old 08-03-2021, 12:57 PM

I had AFIB that was affecting my biking. In 2016 (age 66) I had an ablation and have had no AFIB since. It has had the effect of raising my resting heart rate and seemingly lowering my max heart rate. As I said no AFIB for 5 years now and I consider the ablation a success. I do still take a blood thinner because my cardiologist says it is a precaution for a life altering stroke. I'm not sure he is right since I've so long without any AFIB. However he's topnotch so I'm following his advice.

You are in denial if you think your AFIB is under control.
Old 09-13-2021, 04:29 PM

Reviving a thread that I missed from last month.

I'm heading in for an ablation next Monday. For the past 7-8yrs I've had 3-5 afib episodes/year and during the last couple of them, the drugs didn't work and I had to go in for a cardioversion.

It's been frustrating b/c the trigger hasn't been consistent: last episode was drinking ice water after a long, hot ride.....time before was after a week of "hard living" (aka, too many high alcohol stouts and rich foods). Generally speaking I've found that a combination of lack of sleep and dehydration is pretty good at setting it off for me....but ultimately I'm opting for the ablation while the AFIB isn't persistent and my atria are still in good shape.

I hadn't heard about the increase in resting HR....will ask my EC about that, as well as his thoughts on the long term impact for long, challenging rides. I'm expecting a number of weeks off the bike and will be patient as I want it to heal correctly....I'm only 45 so I have many years of riding left.

Will check back after the fact and share my experience. Good times
Old 09-13-2021, 05:04 PM

Good luck. This is nothing to mess with. Being healthy is more important than long hard rides.

Can't speak about Ablation....but I did have a heart attack about 1 1/2 years ago. Got stent. Then had to go back in for stent repair. Chest pains after hard riding first time. Meds for this...including blood thinner for a year after....sure slow me down. When I complained to Doc about this....he just smiled and said...."quit complaining....you are lucky to be alive". "Just ride as much as you can". That sorta puts things in perspective for me.
Old 09-13-2021, 05:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph View Post
...That sorta puts things in perspective for me.
Take care of yourself, Ralph, it's good to have you around!
Hot Tubes
LiteSpeed
SpeshFatboy