Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 08-02-2021, 10:39 AM

SMP Dynamic saddle customisation

Im a fairly recent convert to SMP saddles but the problem I have with my Dynamic is that the plastic SMP badge found under the rear of the saddle is slowly wearing away the material on the saddle bag. As a conscientious consumer I try to make my kit last as long as possible so rather than buy a new saddle pack a couple of times a year I just wondered if any one else had ever had this same problem?

I’m thinking of cutting the oval badge off but wonder if it might affect the stiffness of the saddle shell?
Old 08-02-2021, 11:28 AM
Vendor

I had someone I just replaced his saddle due to removing the badging. It was causing his rails to shift and creak. I wouldn't remove it after seeing his do that. His was on a SMP Well saddle.
Old 08-02-2021, 12:32 PM
The B!

No luggage on the bike.. thats what our silly jerseys w their silly pockets are for

Last edited by Dead Man; 08-02-2021 at 01:23 PM. Reason: Pockets not pickets
Old 08-02-2021, 01:21 PM
Shrimp123

helicopter tape ? i just use frame protector tape or a transparent tube patch if i want to protect against rubbing..... wipe, clean with alcohol, wait a bit and tape it!

regd luggage on bike : personal choice is to have a saddle bag and/or mount carry things on bike than on me/jersey. but, that is purely personal
Old 08-03-2021, 03:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Velocipede View Post
I had someone I just replaced his saddle due to removing the badging. It was causing his rails to shift and creak. I wouldn't remove it after seeing his do that. His was on a SMP Well saddle.
In honesty I think I had a hunch it might affect the saddle rigidity but very glad I asked on here first before ruining what is a perfectly good and extremely comfortable, saddle.

Many thanks for the input.
Old 08-03-2021, 05:24 AM

Maybe try changing to a tool bag that fits tighter to the saddle so it does not sway, or add an extra strap to hold it in place.