Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 08-02-2021, 03:28 PM

Roval Alpinist carbon seat post- Install a saddle?

I have put a few hundred saddles on seat posts in my time. Fiddling with a Thomson can be a hassle sometimes. The only advice I have found for this is a short post on Reddit which helps a little but this thing is a biotch. The front bolt head is on top of the mounting hardware and I guess you have to get it in the exact position before you tighten the rear bolt.
The weight weenie in me is not happy. Anyone have this post with a saddle on it? This photo is from the web, not mine.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screen Shot 2021-08-02 at 1.27.21 PM.jpg (106.8 KB, 121 views)
Old 08-02-2021, 03:31 PM

Does that front bolt have a recess on the side of the head to stick something into? But yeah, you get the general idea that the front one is supposed to be done up with the rear almost totally loose. I've had posts by Salsa and Fizik that are similar but have a dial for a bolt head on the front. Advantage of those and the one you posted is you get to adjust fore and aft without worrying about the saddle tilt. Once you set the front bolt, it's set.
Old 08-02-2021, 03:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joevers View Post
Does that front bolt have a recess on the side of the head to stick something into?
The front bolt has holes all around in it the size of a sewing needle. Probably to save .0002 grams.
Old 08-02-2021, 04:36 PM
formerly Landshark_98

It's not too bad if you use a saddle with a full channel like Specialized toupe as you can access that front bolt from the top. I'm just happy that I use that saddle!
Old 08-02-2021, 07:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirk007 View Post
It's not too bad if you use a saddle with a full channel like Specialized toupe as you can access that front bolt from the top. I'm just happy that I use that saddle!
Yeah. I will drill a 1/2" hole in my Flite Titanium. Maybe in the right spot!!
My ranting is over on this subject. I just had to sit down in a comfy chair and fiddle with it. Now it's time to install and see if the angle is close.
I think I have decided that weight weenieism to the extreme is not a venture I will pursue too far.
I do like the look of the seat post.
Old 08-02-2021, 07:47 PM

I just used a spoke with the threaded part cut off. Took a bit of experimentation to get the angle exactly right but no worse than e.g., an Enve seat post (either 2 or 1 bolt) which I find to be a royal PITA.