Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 08-02-2021, 04:36 PM

Cervelo s2 generations

I have searched and read a bit about the Cervelo S2, S3, and S5 and the different generations, but I still have some questions.

The first gen S2 when it was not named the soloist anymore, was ahead of it's time. If I understand correctly, the second gen S2/3 came about in 2014 and was a good improvement. I have read in multiple places that Cervelo themselves said it was only 4w behind the S5 of the same era, but much more comfortable.

If that is true, it puts it as one of the more aero frames and still pretty good. The most current came about in 2018? And is faster still.

What does the fork difference do for the bike? As I understand, for that second generation, that was the only difference between the S2 and S3. Are these still pretty aero by today's standard?
Old 08-02-2021, 05:53 PM

Cervelo publicly came out and said that the different forks in the second gen S2/S3 is the same aero wise, but S3 is lighter
That's it. I have a second gen S2 and love it
Old 08-02-2021, 06:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChainNoise View Post
Cervelo publicly came out and said that the different forks in the second gen S2/S3 is the same aero wise, but S3 is lighter
That's it. I have a second gen S2 and love it
Very good! I had not read that. So if the s3 is only 4w slower than the s5 of that generation, and the s2 and s3 are the same, then the S2 is pretty dang fast. If one is to believe the Tour magazine tests and similiar examples, that puts the S2 faster than Propel, Foil, and others from that generation.
Old 08-02-2021, 07:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLD 25 View Post
The first gen S2 when it was not named the soloist anymore, was ahead of it's time. If I understand correctly, the second gen S2/3 came about in 2014 and was a good improvement. I have read in multiple places that Cervelo themselves said it was only 4w behind the S5 of the same era, but much more comfortable.
The difference of "only" 4 Watts probably speaks more about the bike being only a fraction of the drag of the rider, than it it does about the how similar the S3 and S5 (frames) are.

According to a Slowtwitch thread, the 4W difference between the S3 & S4 was at 25 MPH. At that speed, the total aero drag is about 250W, and the drag of frame & fork is about 30W. So while the 4W difference is only about 1.6% of the total aero drag, it is about 13% of the aero drag of the frame & fork.

On the other hand, we don't know the configurations of the S3 and the S5 when the 4W difference was measured. Was it with the stock wheels? The S5 is likely to have had the better stock wheels, so maybe the difference between the frames themselves was less than 4W.
Old 08-02-2021, 07:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark McM View Post
The difference of "only" 4 Watts probably speaks more about the bike being only a fraction of the drag of the rider, than it it does about the how similar the S3 and S5 (frames) are.

According to a Slowtwitch thread, the 4W difference between the S3 & S4 was at 25 MPH. At that speed, the total aero drag is about 250W, and the drag of frame & fork is about 30W. So while the 4W difference is only about 1.6% of the total aero drag, it is about 13% of the aero drag of the frame & fork.

On the other hand, we don't know the configurations of the S3 and the S5 when the 4W difference was measured. Was it with the stock wheels? The S5 is likely to have had the better stock wheels, so maybe the difference between the frames themselves was less than 4W.
Agreed on the fact that there are so many variables. I go back and forth. I read some things that remind me that most of the drag is the rider and then I decide I am good with my Supersix EVO V2 (which I am keeping regardless), and then another time I read a study that suggests I would save seconds or minutes on various courses with a faster bike. I love to compete and race, but this stage in life( 41, two kids, high school teacher), I don't get to race as much as I want, and it kills me when someone takes my KOM by a few seconds on a Madone SLR!

Anyway, it might be fun to have an aero frame with my aero wheels, aero bars, etc, and then keep the EVO super light for having fun on the hills.