Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 07-31-2021, 09:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Robb View Post
What were you towing? That must have been TOUGH!
My pride. Dragging behind me in a garbage bag.
Old 07-31-2021, 10:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by batman1425 View Post
My pride. Dragging behind me in a garbage bag.
I fully understand.
Old 07-31-2021, 11:57 PM
Boeuf Chaîne

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikerboy337 View Post
If so any thoughts, advice etc for someone that has never rowed? A newbie at 45 years old? Concept 2 the way to go? Any good beginner videos on YouTube you’ve used? Any thoughts would be appreciated!
1) Yes, rowing is a great exercise, whether you do it for cross-training or on it's own.

2) Yes, a Concept 2 rower is absolutely the way to go. Without a doubt the gold standard, and not that expensive, expecially compared to a new bike. And they hold their value very, very well if you find that you have to sell it x years from now. Last I checked there is no longer a wait list.

3) IME it isn't nearly as bad an indoors exercise as a bike. Plus, a 20-30 minute rowing workout can be plenty, whereas on a bike that's just a teeny ride.

4) Don't worry about starting it at 45, that's a total non-factor. Just start slowly (as you would any new exercise) and gradually increase your intensity and distance.

5) Getting your technique right at the start is pretty important. C2 has lots of useful stuff on their web site, and if you aren't bashful you can post a link to a short video of you rowing and you'll get lots of useful feedback on the C2 forum.

6) I would 100% recommend that you give it a try - you won't regret it.
Old 08-01-2021, 02:03 PM

X3 on all the above.

Concept2’s website has a page with differences between models and years. The flywheel design has changed a few times over the decades, as has the computer/ display.

Only the latest(?) display has Bluetooth, but IIIRC, older rowers can be upgraded for reasonable money. The newer ones also split in two with a QR pin for easier storage.

High Wear parts are available and easy enough to replace. Seat rollers, chain/cable, maybe the handle grips.

I tend to do 30-40 min followed by a core workout and push-ups. Fantastic full body workout.
Old 08-02-2021, 07:25 AM

Thanks all

Thanks for the feedback here... i found a Model D with PM5 with 40k meters, so basically new at a good price and I'm going to grab it tomorrow night locally.

So, now I'll be spending a good bit of time on the Concept 2 webpage watching the beginner videos, and finding other beginner videos on youtube... looking forward to getting on this 1-2 times a week and getting a little better core and upper body while still feeling accomplished with some cardio... legs will be getting a good workout too, so i'll have to modify how i rest a bit, but shouldn't be an issue. This will be similar to when i started swimming a few years ago, i hated swimming, had never been good or done many laps, but with some patience, lots of reading and watching videos, i soon came to love it... wish i could still swim laps, but thats out of the question with COVID for at least another few months... maybe next year i can work that back in a bit as well...
Old 08-02-2021, 08:42 AM

Cool. They're now called the RowErg, to better align with their other products like the SkiErg, but the RowErg is the same rower as the Model D. You got a PM5 so that's good. I think there's a way to check the firmware and update it if necessary, so you might want to check that.
Old 08-02-2021, 11:29 AM

Quote:
Thanks for the feedback here... i found a Model D with PM5 with 40k meters, so basically new at a good price and I'm going to grab it tomorrow night locally.

So, now I'll be spending a good bit of time on the Concept 2 webpage watching the beginner videos, and finding other beginner videos on youtube... looking forward to getting on this 1-2 times a week and getting a little better core and upper body while still feeling accomplished with some cardio... legs will be getting a good workout too, so i'll have to modify how i rest a bit, but shouldn't be an issue. This will be similar to when i started swimming a few years ago, i hated swimming, had never been good or done many laps, but with some patience, lots of reading and watching videos, i soon came to love it... wish i could still swim laps, but thats out of the question with COVID for at least another few months... maybe next year i can work that back in a bit as well...

Just row after you run. You won’t have to switch much with your week then.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 08-02-2021, 12:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Robb View Post
My wife has been doing 30 minutes EVERY morning on a Waterrower since just before CoVid and the results have been excellent. The machine is beautifully designed and built and repair parts and customer support are great too. One extra feature: it is easy to stand on end taking up no more than 2 feet square of floor space.

Anybody else have a Waterrower? I’ve heard good things and wonder how they hold up?

Old 08-02-2021, 06:45 PM
Boeuf Chaîne

Quote:
So, now I'll be spending a good bit of time on the Concept 2 webpage watching the beginner videos, and finding other beginner videos on youtube
One handy tool when working on your technique is to set the PM to display the force curve. (see link for more details)

https://www.concept2.com/indoor-rowe...he-force-curve

You know you're probably doing it right when you get it to look like the image below:

Old 08-07-2021, 08:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Louis View Post
One handy tool when working on your technique is to set the PM to display the force curve. (see link for more details)

https://www.concept2.com/indoor-rowe...he-force-curve

You know you're probably doing it right when you get it to look like the image below:

I was thinking of that graph as I rowed today and tried to mimic yours. It’s easy to lose form when you start to wear out

Old 08-07-2021, 08:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcfarton View Post
I was thinking of that graph as I rowed today and tried to mimic yours. It’s easy to lose form when you start to wear out

I remember when that force analysis first came out on the new monitors. Game changer for emphasizing where in the stroke to apply power - which differs based on the boat class you are in.
Old 08-07-2021, 09:40 PM

How about one of these? I saw it on local CL today.20210807_223622.jpg
Old 08-07-2021, 10:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by madsciencenow View Post
Anybody else have a Waterrower? I’ve heard good things and wonder how they hold up?

Quite bullet-proof. After 7 years of use some rubber strips on our buffer wheels started coming undone though the wheels were still working fine we ordered replacement buffer wheels. Four cost $10 plus shipping.
Old 08-07-2021, 11:50 PM
Boeuf Chaîne

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcfarton View Post
It’s easy to lose form when you start to wear out
Yup - I'm way too familiar with that "Please, just let me get these last 500 meters done before I collapse" feeling.
Old 08-08-2021, 01:34 AM
Boeuf Chaîne

Quote:
i found a Model D with PM5 with 40k meters, so basically new at a good price and I'm going to grab it tomorrow night locally.
Any more news on this? Did you get that Model D? How's it going?

Doing any sub 7 2k's yet? (jk, but if you are, that would be awesome)