Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 08-02-2021, 05:27 PM

eBay address problem, PO Box vs street address

Have any of you faced this?

Trying to register for managed payments and eBay uses USPS database which has my postal address as my PO Box, as they don't deliver to my street address. But eBay rejects the PO Box, saying it needs a street address. When I enter the street address, it says it doesn't match the postal address on file. There's actually an April thread in eBay community with the identical problem and there wasn't a solution! The CS person suggested to the OP that they use a friend's address instead. But the address the bank has for you has to match, etc., so this is a non-workable and foolish solution.

Are they really THIS dumb?
Old 08-02-2021, 05:47 PM

I forget exactly how (in which order) we resolved this when we moved to a house with the same situation, but we did it by listing both addresses in the ebay form, one per address line. This was several years ago, so may not work now.
Old 08-02-2021, 05:47 PM

I would simply go into your post office and submit a change of address. Then your street address will be in the database.
Old 08-02-2021, 06:12 PM

Thanks. I tried this is all permutations but no dice. They've gotten smarter in being dumb!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ORMojo View Post
I forget exactly how (in which order) we resolved this when we moved to a house with the same situation, but we did it by listing both addresses in the ebay form, one per address line. This was several years ago, so may not work now.
Old 08-02-2021, 06:13 PM

That's an interesting idea. I wonder if the USPS will allow that, but it's easy to find out!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rnhood View Post
I would simply go into your post office and submit a change of address. Then your street address will be in the database.
Old 08-06-2021, 12:14 PM

Update

Update - on Monday I spent >1 hour on the phone with ebay support (they actually did call me back when I left a message and the wait time was about 2 hours). I went through three reps in series. None could solve the issue in real time. The third person was clearly a more senior person and she said she would take care of it and to check back in a couple of days, to see if I could get the verify function to show my address as the street address (this is what she was going to manually change).

Nope. No dice.

I literally can't use ebay again to sell because I can't get past this address issue. Amazing.
Old 09-14-2021, 07:28 PM

Well, I went and tried again, and this time it worked, ebay accepted my street address so I am up and running apparently. I opened a new account at the bank with $100 in it to limit my exposure.

I have a small bunch of stems and similar that haven't sold here, so glad this worked out.
Old 09-14-2021, 09:33 PM

Ask the post office you need a physical address for package to be delivered.

Like if your po box is
Po box 100
Ny ny

Physical address
120 west 16th apt 100
Ny ny

They used to do this , I have done it.
Don't know if it is still done.
Old 09-15-2021, 07:26 AM

A possible workaround is to rent a small box at a Mailboxes etc or other commercial redelivery location.

I used one for years for a business, and also used it as my primary ebay/paypal location. But rules may not have been as tight then...

I never used "box" in my address, instead substituting "suite."

And I did get a cold call once from someone who said "they stopped by my office and left a brochure with my receptionist." Yea right...
Hot Tubes
LiteSpeed
SpeshFatboy
Old 09-15-2021, 07:51 AM

Fortunately I am past the need for a work-around, the third CS person must have made it work. FWIW, they asked for the last 4 digits of my SS#, not the full number, and they didn't ask for my bank login and password. In previous threads on ebay's new Managed Payments it was reported that they asked for those, which would have been my threshold for saying no. The 4 digits of SS# I think is a Federal reqt.