Builder's Spotlight The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > Marketplace > Classifieds (Cycling Products)

Closed Thread

Old 05-16-2018, 10:04 AM
Riding Along

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryScientist View Post
Since I received near universal criticism for closing this thread, and in the spirit of transparency and friendliness here (of which i am a big proponent) - i'm re-opening in case Bentley or anyone else are interested.

Here is the timeline of facts, from my end:

-Saw the PSA
-Contacted the seller via text message. Seller indicated that he may be open to shipping the bike, but i could tell, he would rather a local, easy deal.
-I contacted a local forum pal to facilitate for me.
-Shortly after that, the deal was done locally, and the frame was on it's way to me.

I do realize Bentley and possibly others in Florida were interested in the bike as well. This was a craigslist deal where cash was king, and a quick deal was what the seller was interested in.

I believe firmly i was in negotiations with the seller first, and i was the first to say "I will take it".

Others who were interested in the frame asked the seller a bunch of additional questions concerning condition, and asked for a bunch of additional pictures. I simply hit "buy it now" and will take my chances with what comes in the mail.

Note that i didnt necessarily feel the need to defend myself in this case, especially since this was a Craigslist deal, but the above is presented as my side of the story, for total transparency on this one.

Glad you cleared this up. It looked like you scooped Bently and then closed the thread to keep any heat off yourself. The optics were not good at all. Better now.
Old 05-16-2018, 10:06 AM

Great post. I don't really understand the controversy around PSAs and Craigslist ads. Everyone has Google. It's always a sprint against the clock, especially when the barn find is a great deal. Win some, lose some.

Quote:
Since I received near universal criticism for closing this thread, and in the spirit of transparency and friendliness here (of which i am a big proponent) - i'm re-opening in case Bentley or anyone else are interested.

-Saw the PSA
-Contacted the seller via text message. Seller indicated that he may be open to shipping the bike, but i could tell, he would rather a local, easy deal.
-Shortly after that, the deal was done locally, and the frame was on it's way to me.

I do realize Bentley and possibly others in Florida were interested in the bike as well. This was a craigslist deal where cash was king, and a quick deal was what the seller was interested in.

I believe firmly i was in negotiations with the seller first, and i was the first to say "I will take it".

Others who were interested in the frame asked the seller a bunch of additional questions concerning condition, and asked for a bunch of additional pictures. I simply hit "buy it now" and will take my chances with what comes in the mail.

Note that i didnt necessarily feel the need to defend myself in this case, especially since this was a Craigslist deal, but the above is presented as my side of the story, for total transparency on this one.
Old 05-16-2018, 10:09 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCilliams View Post
especially when the barn find is a great deal.
precisely.

as i told my wife:

when you see a weigle that might be close to your size for under 500 bucks, you buy now, ask questions later.
Old 05-16-2018, 10:22 AM

Quote:
precisely.

as i told my wife:

when you see a weigle that might be close to your size for under 500 bucks, you buy now, ask questions later.
Exactly.
Old 05-16-2018, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCilliams View Post
Great post. I don't really understand the controversy around PSAs and Craigslist ads. Everyone has Google. It's always a sprint against the clock, especially when the barn find is a great deal. Win some, lose some.
+100

So one guy texted/called saying "here take my money" and the other was "asking for pictures".........race against the clock indeed!!

Nice snag AS !! Polish'r up and post some pics
Old 05-16-2018, 01:27 PM

Quote:

-Saw the PSA

Nick, I think this is all the “people” needed in the first place. The fact that you sort of just “hid” behind your ability as a moderator to close this thread just seemed a little...lame.

I agree with you, in that these sorts of things are basically a race to the register drawer - I just don’t think that was something you couldn’t have simply typed out.

Thanks for making it right!
Old 05-16-2018, 02:09 PM

Not exactly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Dog View Post
Glad you cleared this up. It looked like you scooped Bently and then closed the thread to keep any heat off yourself. The optics were not good at all. Better now.
I dont think this is exactly the way it went down, but what is over is over.

I get cash is King, but the seller told me I was the first to contact and had planned to send pics. He said he only sold the bike locally because he thought it was local.

Just the same, I am moving on.
Old 05-16-2018, 02:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bentley View Post
I dont think this is exactly the way it went down, but what is over is over.

I get cash is King, but the seller told me I was the first to contact and had planned to send pics. He said he only sold the bike locally because he thought it was local.

Just the same, I am moving on.
I picked up the bike, handed over the cash and told him it was for Nick in New Jersey from the very first time I contacted him. He even told me that he had not sent the pictures or answers to questions to the others who were asking because we had already committed to buy the bike. Maybe he was just softening the blow to you.
Old 05-16-2018, 02:24 PM

Looks like everything is sorted, I hope some more detailed pictures will be forthcoming.
Old 05-16-2018, 02:35 PM

I love this thread...For the AngryScientist to pull this deal off with remote seller, middleman, and forum support is impressive. Bravo, you deserve this bike! Well done.
Old 05-16-2018, 02:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by duff_duffy View Post
I love this thread...For the AngryScientist to pull this deal off with remote seller, middleman, and forum support is impressive. Bravo, you deserve this bike! Well done.
You should add.....and lock the thread until cooler heads prevail.
Old 05-16-2018, 02:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LouDeeter View Post
I live within a few minutes in all likelihood. Let's see how this plays out.
Lou....was wondering where you moved. Nice there. Lakewood Ranch, Palmer Ranch, etc....we like all those areas.
Old 05-16-2018, 03:09 PM

Yeah, if that was my size, no questions asked...except where do I send the money? Gotta be quick on CL. Just glad it was scored by a member.
Old 05-16-2018, 03:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by donevwil View Post
You should add.....and lock the thread until cooler heads prevail.
I dont think there were any hot heads, nor in my view was there sufficient reason to lock the thread, and was good for Angry to correct that.

As others have suggested, is not unreasonable to sell to the first person to produce cash. It's nice if a seller "holds" an item for a person who commits to buy, giving them a reasonable amount of time to make payment. On Paceline I expect this, but not elsewhere. At any rate, since Bentley did not commit, the seller did not fail to extend that courtesy. But even if he had, that's not on Angry. In light of LouDeeter's remarks, the only weird thing here is the seller's rationale for selling, especially since Bentley is sort of local and would have picked the thing up in any case. If he was "softening the blow", as Lou suggests, he probably did the opposite.
Old 05-16-2018, 03:21 PM

Honest question, why is this bike worth the effort? I don't know much about this builder or why this bike in particular was so desirable.
Closed Thread