Builder's Spotlight The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight


Go Back   The Paceline Forum > Builder Spotlights

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1006  
Old 05-15-2018, 09:08 AM
brownhound brownhound is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: St. Louis, MO
Posts: 434
Ooh - didn't know the MMBs were still being made. That's what I need!
Reply With Quote
  #1007  
Old 05-15-2018, 03:50 PM
David Kirk's Avatar
David Kirk David Kirk is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Bozeman MT
Posts: 6,909
....and now for something completely different.......

I'm doing some preliminary test silver fillet test joints on 953 stainless tubes and the first one went pretty well. I'll do a few more and if they go well I'll build a stainless fillet bike to test on the road as well as doing some corrosion tests to.

I just love the idea of an unpainted fillet bike - we'll see.

dave

Reply With Quote
  #1008  
Old 05-15-2018, 06:15 PM
ntb1001's Avatar
ntb1001 ntb1001 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Toronto, Canada
Posts: 724
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Kirk View Post
....and now for something completely different.......



I'm doing some preliminary test silver fillet test joints on 953 stainless tubes and the first one went pretty well. I'll do a few more and if they go well I'll build a stainless fillet bike to test on the road as well as doing some corrosion tests to.



I just love the idea of an unpainted fillet bike - we'll see.



dave





Well.....if you’re looking for a “crash test dummy” to send the frame to for more testing...







Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Reply With Quote
  #1009  
Old 05-16-2018, 09:55 AM
8aaron8 8aaron8 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Sacramento CA
Posts: 1,270
Dave you have the thumbnail of a real craftsman
__________________
ar-cycles.com
Reply With Quote
  #1010  
Old 05-16-2018, 08:15 PM
ERK55 ERK55 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 233
To paraphrase Tom Cruise in last line of Top Gun:
It’s looking pretty good so far.
Reply With Quote
  #1011  
Old 05-17-2018, 08:14 PM
Burnette Burnette is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 719
Omg

Awesome

Last edited by Burnette; 05-17-2018 at 08:37 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #1012  
Old 05-17-2018, 08:15 PM
Burnette Burnette is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 719
Omg

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Kirk View Post
....
dave

Holy Moly this is all of my wants.
Reply With Quote
  #1013  
Old 05-31-2018, 02:11 PM
David Kirk's Avatar
David Kirk David Kirk is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Bozeman MT
Posts: 6,909
Stainless and silver fillets. Onesto Fillet.

dave

Reply With Quote
  #1014  
Old 05-31-2018, 02:48 PM
sparky33's Avatar
sparky33 sparky33 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Wellesley, MA
Posts: 2,220
so the concept is a fillet 100% stainless...naked, no paint ...can it Terraplane too?
__________________
Steve Park
Reply With Quote
  #1015  
Old 05-31-2018, 03:14 PM
David Kirk's Avatar
David Kirk David Kirk is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Bozeman MT
Posts: 6,909
Quote:
Originally Posted by sparky33 View Post
so the concept is a fillet 100% stainless...naked, no paint ...can it Terraplane too?
Yes - it's 100% stainless with fillets all around. This is a prototype that I'll be testing for awhile and if I'm happy with it I'll offer them for sale.

This one is a dedicated gravel bike that's going to be set up with eTap, flat mount disc brakes and yes Terraplane stays.

dave
Reply With Quote
  #1016  
Old 05-31-2018, 04:46 PM
Clean39T Clean39T is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 5,878
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Kirk View Post
Yes - it's 100% stainless with fillets all around. This is a prototype that I'll be testing for awhile and if I'm happy with it I'll offer them for sale.

This one is a dedicated gravel bike that's going to be set up with eTap, flat mount disc brakes and yes Terraplane stays.

dave
Amazing work Dave. I love your desire to innovate in ways that aren't about making it 0.0001% lighter, have 3g less aero drag, or whatever the latest techno buzz is... I guess that means finding a non-standard definition of "better" to pursue. It's impressive.


SPOILER ALERT


How are you planning to do the hydro-line routing? And doing a steel disc fork for it out of stainless also?
__________________
Riding steel gives me the feels.
Reply With Quote
  #1017  
Old 05-31-2018, 06:29 PM
David Kirk's Avatar
David Kirk David Kirk is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Bozeman MT
Posts: 6,909
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clean39T View Post
Amazing work Dave. I love your desire to innovate in ways that aren't about making it 0.0001% lighter, have 3g less aero drag, or whatever the latest techno buzz is... I guess that means finding a non-standard definition of "better" to pursue. It's impressive.


SPOILER ALERT


How are you planning to do the hydro-line routing? And doing a steel disc fork for it out of stainless also?
Thanks for the kind words.

The rear line will run on the underside of the DT and c-stay and the fork for this bike is an Enve. I'm not happy with any of the current stainless blade offerings but I'm working on it.

dave
Reply With Quote
  #1018  
Old 05-31-2018, 06:33 PM
Hellgate's Avatar
Hellgate Hellgate is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Posts: 212
Beautiful.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5010 using Tapatalk
Reply With Quote
  #1019  
Old 05-31-2018, 07:48 PM
PaMtbRider PaMtbRider is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: York, Pa.
Posts: 1,554
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Kirk View Post
Yes - it's 100% stainless with fillets all around. This is a prototype that I'll be testing for awhile and if I'm happy with it I'll offer them for sale.

This one is a dedicated gravel bike that's going to be set up with eTap, flat mount disc brakes and yes Terraplane stays.

dave
Will you stick with your triple F dropout in the rear, or have you come up with an elegant thru axle option?
Reply With Quote
  #1020  
Old 05-31-2018, 08:23 PM
David Kirk's Avatar
David Kirk David Kirk is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Bozeman MT
Posts: 6,909
This bike will have the stainless Triple F's. I might go through axle down the line. I need weigh it out.

dave
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:29 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.